Question FPS drops every 5-8 seconds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 15, 2023
In short, I'm getting an FPS drops roughly 5-10 seconds in games. This drop in FPS causes a noticeable stutter, I have pretty high fps in these games but then it freezes every 5-10 seconds or so and that causes a noticeable jolt/stutter/frame drop.

PC - Specs
- Ryzen 5 5600x Stock
-Gigabyte b450 gaming x
-Gigabyte RTX 3070 Aorus
-32 gigs of 3200mhz ram

I've tried
-Games from both my SSD and HDD both have the same issue
-Mem test my ram
-No background programs open
-Adjusted game settings up and down in terms of quality.
-Changed power plan in windows
-Reset BIOS settings

Any thoughts, help or ideas would be much appreciated

I will also link a clip of it happening and a 3Dmark test

https://streamable.com/x1i5is

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/89173871

I replaced it with the Seasonic 650W G12 GM, it seems to be appearing almost at random, i can have like half the day where it will happen, and then half the day where it doesent, maybe its a problem with my case? Since i didnt find any loose metal bits around the case, maybe its the case itself? Its a Zalman S2 case
Remount the CPU and check for bent pins. Jostling the case can cause the pins to touch right but only for a little while.

Feb 15, 2023
Remount the CPU and check for bent pins. Jostling the case can cause the pins to touch right but only for a little while.
Testing a bit more with other games, it seems to be happening in these 3 games: Rust, CSGO, Apex Legends. All other games seem to be either completely fine or maybe a FPS freeze every minute or so

Feb 15, 2023
If you have hard stutters or momentary freezes in every game, then to me, it can still indicate my first inference.
Its never stuttered, its only freezing every 7 seconds. i can get full like 300-400+ fps and it will freeze exactly every 7 seconds, but it happens only in the 3 games i listed above, every other game i tried its full fine

Its never stuttered, its only freezing every 7 seconds. i can get full like 300-400+ fps and it will freeze exactly every 7 seconds, but it happens only in the 3 games i listed above, every other game i tried its full fine
Well with that cleared up, I dont know what else to tell you other than, it may be a driver issue. Do they all use DX12? Have you tried running them in DX11 or Vulcan?

Feb 15, 2023
Well with that cleared up, I dont know what else to tell you other than, it may be a driver issue. Do they all use DX12? Have you tried running them in DX11 or Vulcan?
Im pretty sure only apex uses DX12, csgo and rust use DX11 or DX9 im pretty sure, i tried reinstalling the games multiple times on different drives, i thought about maybe checking for burns on my motherboard if it is a short somewhere?

Im pretty sure only apex uses DX12, csgo and rust use DX11 or DX9 im pretty sure, i tried reinstalling the games multiple times on different drives, i thought about maybe checking for burns on my motherboard if it is a short somewhere?
Its not often a clear burn mark even if it shorts on the bottom or top of the motherboards. Many motherboards are 6+ layers with lots of possible shorting in them.

Feb 15, 2023
That means its either Windows, hardware, or BIOS if driver bugs in the current patch are ruled out from Nvidia.
How would i test for hardware issues if i don't have extra parts to swap to narrow down the possibilities? i don't think its the bios since i updated it and cleared the CMOS multiple times, and setup everything right

How would i test for hardware issues if i don't have extra parts to swap to narrow down the possibilities? i don't think its the bios since i updated it and cleared the CMOS multiple times, and setup everything right
I do not know of any tests besides memtest for the memory, checkdisk for the storage devices, running benchmarks to test the graphics card, and the same as the former for the CPU. All I can do is guess what it can be and I have run out of guesses for the time being. Unless you can record the issue so we can see it and maybe get more leads I have run out of ideas other than swapping in known good parts.

Feb 15, 2023
I do not know of any tests besides memtest for the memory, checkdisk for the storage devices, running benchmarks to test the graphics card, and the same as the former for the CPU. All I can do is guess what it can be and I have run out of guesses for the time being. Unless you can record the issue so we can see it and maybe get more leads I have run out of ideas other than swapping in known good parts.

Ok so far i have tested 3Dmark and Superposition as my GPU benchmarks, 3Dmark also has a CPU benchmark so i tested that as well, i ran cinebench a few times and everything works fine on these benchmarks, checkdisk reports all drives are functional, I updated all my firmware and drivers.
I Can run Memtest before i go to sleep since that takes a while to finish, there is also a clip of the issue in my original post, its a older clip but its the same exact issue so nothing should be different, if you would like anything else for me to run or to try to narrow down the problem i am glad to send

Feb 15, 2023
Ok so i was testing around a bit more, and another strange quirk, after i deleted all my settings files the problem was fixed and there was no stuttering, but after i rebooted the game after that, the problem appears again

Last edited:
Ok so i was testing around a bit more, and another strange quirk, after i deleted all my settings files the problem was fixed and there was no stuttering, but after i rebooted the game after that, the problem appears again
Did you already verify the game files? Thats so weird. Since a clean boot did not fix the issue its not a 2nd party service or application doing this. I don't understand how restarting the PC would screw up the games settings to cause this issue unless you had either bad memory or a bad storage device. Are all your games installed on the same storage device? What came of the memtest?

Feb 15, 2023
Did you already verify the game files? Thats so weird. Since a clean boot did not fix the issue its not a 2nd party service or application doing this. I don't understand how restarting the PC would screw up the games settings to cause this issue unless you had either bad memory or a bad storage device. Are all your games installed on the same storage device? What came of the memtest?
Hello sorry for the late reponse i was on a trip, yes i verified the game files multiple times, same issue, memtest reported a total of 0 errors in eveything, so the memory is working fine, and i uninstalled and installed the game on other storage devices and its still the same issue, i also have 3 different drives where i install games.