[SOLVED] fps drops, to be expected or not? High end PC

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
I am having these issues with fps drops (microstutters) in games and ive had this problem with 2 gaming PC's
my recent gaming PC is a 5600x rtx 3070 32gb ddr 4 3600mhz ram and my mother board is b550-plus
and my PSU is= Corsair 750W RM750

Usually the games are very playable but the "fps related lags " kinda disturbs me. Some games have very little lag,
some games no lag at all (maybe just once in long time.) and some games had quite much.
the games i play that I do not really experiencing any fps lag is ESO, GTA5 and Online, also WoW did not have fps lag.
Medieval dynasty does not really have any fps lag for me but what sometimes happens is that the fps drops to 40-80
which makes the game feel a bit laggy, but then goes up to normal again (90 to 120 fps) I usually play my games on high graphic settings
with a 1440p resolution. Even if i have tried to lower graphics it has not improved with the fps lags.
Guild wars 2 also lagged alot for me even if its an old game, i think its because i didnt try to cap the fps (maybe that would have fixed it.)
Fortnite has a little microstutters,but playable
Black desert online has microstuttering but it seemed to be reduced when i raised the graphic settings. maybe because the fps wasnt as high.
New world i also experienced fps stuttering in. at first the game run smooth then i started noticing stuttering.
Rust has real bad graphics and sometimes also becomes very laggy especially because the fps drops and becomes lower. Rust worked perfect for me with my older gaming PC until after some update i think ruined it for me, which is the same problem with my current PC.
Ring of elysium had fps lag/stuttering just a few times during the game.
Minecraft also worked fine for me , but i didnt build any big cities etc i just tried it.
CS GO for example has some microstuttering especially at the beginning of the game then it usually works smooth without any noticable lags.
I know also that i am more sensetive than most people when it comes to frame drops and even graphic weirdness in games.
For example GTA Online seem to have some kind of texture rendering that you can notice when you drive around in a car.
Some people have told me that these problems are really normal, and that they also have lag in games , my bro just tested my PC here today
and he said that his PC lags alot more but he has a lesser PC than me .
So my question is. Should I turn my PC in for troubleshoot, or is that unecessary because they wont find any hardware problem and its a waste of
time. Or is my problem really not normal, and there might be something wrong with the hardware, the operative system,drivers, etc.
I am a quite well PC user so ofc i have tried everything that is recommended to try. My temps are fine. My cpu usage in games does not hit 100%
actually they are quite good 20-40% cpu usage in games. I have run memtest86 without any errors and I have stress tested my PC with
prime95 because also i have overclocked my CPU in bios using OC tuner to 4.6ghz on all cores. And stress testing using hwinfo64 showed that
the volts maximum was 1.3 and the temps were fine too. 1.3 volt should be good volt when OC your cpu.
I am happy for anyone taking time to read this and may have a good recommendation for me; Should i turn my PC in or is this all normal?
Games however that are known to be well optimized I usually have no problems with.

Last edited:
Solution
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52168386
I have done these userbenchmarks before. when i do not OC my gpu with MSI afterburner
it doesnt get very good score on userbenchmark.

I have also run 3dmark on steam and the results also seem fine.
All looks good so the hardware and settings seem ok. Its normal for the gpu to come out a little low as a significant amount of systems being compared to will be overclocked.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
In my experience some games are just poorly optimized. I am playing No Man's Sky and after their latest update I get dips down as low as 20FPS after logging in to the game. This is with a 5900X and a 3080. The majority of the time I am at 160FPS which is what I have my FPS limit set at since my monitor is at 165Hz.

Reactions: shadowcat777

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
In my experience some games are just poorly optimized. I am playing No Man's Sky and after their latest update I get dips down as low as 20FPS after logging in to the game. This is with a 5900X and a 3080. The majority of the time I am at 160FPS which is what I have my FPS limit set at since my monitor is at 165Hz.
Yes. maybe i expect too much of my PC because i can still run the games on highest setting with my 1440p monitor (165hz with gsync.) And the games are ofc very playable. I think many people who say they have no frame drops just dont notice them. Its not like the games are freezing or crashing, or have framedrops that last more than a half second. Fortnite actually also had very poor fps drops with crashings but I got that fixed by not OC my GPU with Msi afterburner.

shadowcat777

Honorable
Feb 23, 2019
Run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results.
I have done these userbenchmarks before. when i do not OC my gpu with MSI afterburner

Unigine valley result=

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0

FPS:164.3
Score:6874
Min FPS:45.7
Max FPS:296.0
System

Platform:Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor (4599MHz) x6
GPU model:NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 30.0.15.1215 (4095MB) x1
Settings

Render:Direct3D11
Mode:1920x1080 8xAA fullscreen
PresetExtreme HD

When i had OC my GPU with Msi afterburner i got a little better result,however.
(This benchmark is without the MSI afterburner OC.)
These were the result of OC with Msi=

FPS:173.5
Score:7257
Min FPS:54.0
Max FPS:313.7

Last edited:

All looks good so the hardware and settings seem ok. Its normal for the gpu to come out a little low as a significant amount of systems being compared to will be overclocked.

Reactions: shadowcat777
Solution