GioBarca

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
Hey guys,
So I recently started streaming on my YouTube-channel. And one thing I seem to notice is that the FPS on OBS, but especially on the stream itself sometimes just tanks, while in-game FPS is running decent.

So here my specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock speeds)
Stock CPU Cooler
4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3000MHz (XMP Enabled)
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio (Stock speeds)
2x SATA SSD (1x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (Boot Drive and where OBS is installed), 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (where games are installed))
Corsair RM750x Modular PSU

Here are my stream settings in OBS (I stream to YouTube btw):
Base (Canvas) Resolution: 2560x1440
Output (Scaled) Resolution: 1920x1080
Downscale Filter: Lanczos (Sharpened scaling, 36 samples)
FPS: 60

Encoder: NVIDIA NVENC H.264 (new)
Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate: 9000 Kbps (My upload speed is 25000 Kbps)
Keyframe Interval: 2
Preset: Quality
Profile: high
Max B-frames: 2
(I used the YouTube recommended livestream settings on their blog to set everything up)

I use a static webcam overlay, a dynamic donation-ticker and ofcourse alerts.

Now, here's a link to the first livestream I've ever done:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCZq7mEm0EM&ab_channel=Giodinho

(Note: In this livestream I had XMP disabled, as I didn't notice it was turned off, so RAM was only running at 2133MHz)
So, I thought I just needed to upgrade my CPU, but when watching videos of the same processor running well while streaming, my thought quickly changed to my CPU just not running properly. Especially considering UserBenchmark tells me that the CPU is running way below what it is supposed to, although it did increase while enabling XMP.
I'm kinda stuck at this point. Considering I encode with NVENC, and my fps in-game only slightly drops while streaming, compared to not. What seems to be the issue? Thanks for helping :)

Solution
Set stream bitrate to 6000 in OBS. 9000 is ridiculous. You'll never make use of that much at 1080p, and it's likely your problem. I've never heard of anyone using more than 6000.