Frame Freeze on games, please help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Okay. Here is the run down. I am running on a PC I build in January, early. It is very nice. Here are the Specs.

1080 Ti
8700k i7
16 GB Ram
Dual Monitor Setup
Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply
Water Cooled CPU
Asus ROG Strix 370z or 270 cant remember
4 TB HDD
240GB SSD

So basically, I have overclocked both my GPU and CPU, but I set them back to default because it is not much needed. However on games like Fornite and League of Legends I will get random frame drops. And they aren't bad, theyre like from 144 to 90, because i have a 144 HZ monitor. However when it does drop that low the screen freezes for a second. Here are some pictures.

The first image is with one monitor only.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gEBSTarX9ScZBVQKKzQolD9GiSyCG5Ne

These are with 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z1cz9rfsSxshhnakZL_s4CmxuGUVcaCF
https://drive.google.com/open?id=127Yfsqk-PQRcq6F914v6R2xyHFl9jrb7

Those are both on fortnite.

So the things I have tried so far is uninstalling graphics drivers. Putting the games that have problems on my SSD. Turning every other program off. Using Razer Cortex or other applications to boost my RAM. Using one monitor only. Im not one who will have a problem then whine about it and not look for a solution. I have been digging and trying for a solution for about a month almost every day.

If anyone has any idea let me know, if you want me to download a program and run it and monitor my usage and FPS I will do that. Don't know what else to try. And its annoying in fortnite because i'll get into a fight and my screen will freeze.

Another note. Battlefront 2, runs perfect at about 70-90 FPS on ultra. yet when I get frame drops in that game say from, 90 FPS to a sudden 60, there is no screen freeze or lag. It's just a typical frame drop.

These Freezes last about 1 second.

Any other questions let me know and I will answer immediatley.

This computer was about 2.5k so I would want it to run at its best.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I found something else out. So this is how it goes for my connection.

Home Router -> Gigabit Switch -> TrendNet Home Router N300 -> My computer

All hardwired, and I unplugged the ethernet cord going from the Gigabit switch the the Trendnet router, and just plugged it into my computer, and it wouldn’t connect. Just the caution symbol, but when it’s plugged into the trendnet router, then another ethernet into my computer it works. Weird, no clue how.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Not activated Windows should not cause any issues. If it was a hardware problem all games would do it. The fact you have games that do not tells me its unlikely.

That network setup is weird, you should not have or need two routers, in fact they could potentially conflict with eachother. Why is it setup like that? Whats the make and model of the other router?

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Ok this is probably the ugliest diagram I drew, but this is the best I could explain.

So this is the upstairs, which is what you’re going to be looking at.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sn9w8_RpE3kWLZjxlgQU8KqaRAMZWezG

So basically as you can see my room is across the house from the router. So I have no wifi in my room, thats why I have the little Trendnet Router. Because it basically creates another wifi. Its like its own separate thing. Its not an extender. It creates another wifi connection. I have it so I can have Wifi in my room. Hope that helps explain.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ok so as long as the trendnet router has the routing part turned off then you are fine, if you are just using it as a switch and an access point. I am assuming this is done, if its not you could potentially have connectivity issues.

If you disconnect the trendnet and plug directly into your system, you should have a network connection, the only way this would not work properly is if someone manually set all your IP settings on your system and its outside the network range of that network. It sounds like you may have network configuration issues which can cause problems.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

OKay yeas I am going to fix that when i get home, talked to a friend about it, so I will fix that. Also, is there like a “reason” why my internet would cause the frame freeze. Like I guess we know that its the reason but like, why a freeze?

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Got it, don’t believe I’ve had anything overheat but what would that degrees be.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Throttling on an Intel CPU would be at about 90-95C (the reality is you want to keep it around 85C tops), throttling on the GPU would be 91c before it throttles.

If Battlefront 2 isn't doing that, and also the freezes are not consistent, its prettymuch impossible for that to be your problem.

I'd still like to see what a video of GTA V looks like, and also I think you should run Timespy again, your score was a bit low.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Okay so I ran TimeSpy again. Restarted my computer and no apps running.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/25607047?

Also. I fixed the ethernet cord not working to my PC. I unplugged it from the router in my room and straight into the PC. So now it is going from the Gigabit switch straight to my PC.

I got it to work by going into command prompt and releasing.
I thought it would help however it did not.

I got on fortnite and the same thing was happening.

I get how you said it was my internet but is there anything else I can do to make sure its not my PC because, its hard for me to understand how my internet would make my GPU usage drop. My frames dont even drop that much.

Anyways theres that, lemme know what you think and anything else you would like me to run or test. Thanks in advance.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The GPU usage drops because frames aren't being generated, because the GPU is not getting data, in this case because the system is waiting for the network.

Until I see a single player game doing this then it has to be the network connection, thats all I can tell you.

RogueLeader mostly narrowed down the point.

I am going to try and bring in a different perspective. Fortnite runs off BattleEye, which is an anti-cheat. Past few days (months for me) BattleEye has been acting up for lots of people, by crashing the game, freezes if even they lag slightly. Perhaps this could be your issue.

Nothing comes to mind to why this occurs to only two of your games while the others mostly work out other than corrupt installation or something in your installation conflicting with another program. Try a clean re install of your game.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Okay, I am buying the witcher 3, been wanting to play that game through, gonna play it and record it and let you know whats up. If Ihave no problems then its obvious that its not my coomputer.

The main reason I was so concerned about all this is because its my first custom built PC, my other PC I've had since I was 6, and it was time for a new one. So for my 2.5k PC to glitch was making me a little irritated.

Thats why i thought it was my computer in the first place, like if i unplug my ethernet its not gonna make me screen freeze, nothing is just gonna respond in the game.

Though if this does happen on the Witcher 3, we can go from there figuring out what I've done to screw up my computer in such a short time. I will also go over to my friends to test with his internet.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Didn't they just put in battle eye as well? I am going to re install it but I doubt that will do anything, gonna put it on my SSD see if that does anything as well.

Would 2 monitors conflict at all?

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Downloading Witcher 3 when I get home. Will try it and let you now, also making my brother try Fornite so we’ll see.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

What do you recommend recording frames with? I have fraps.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

What do you recommend recording frames with? I usually just use the in game frames

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

What do you recommend recording frames with? I usually just use the in game frames

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No I mean do a video like you showed me before of Fortnite, and use whatever in game frame counter you have

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

So I got good news and bad news I guess. I was playing GTA 5 in story mode, which is offline. Then I got this
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rwpZvw5KDr_i8CEK0_BTT8yHa9NHYN3l
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Xs_azfG9GgRC-20MdFa4nKTqwHCN_-Qh

I guess I would rather it be my][/b system if it is because then I can do something about it. Can't really do anything if its internet.

Another note. I went and downloaded fortnite on my brothers PC, his isn't as beefy as mine but its still good. And we are connected to the same Gigabit switch, his computer did not do it.