Frame Freeze on games, please help.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Okay. Here is the run down. I am running on a PC I build in January, early. It is very nice. Here are the Specs.

1080 Ti
8700k i7
16 GB Ram
Dual Monitor Setup
Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply
Water Cooled CPU
Asus ROG Strix 370z or 270 cant remember
4 TB HDD
240GB SSD

So basically, I have overclocked both my GPU and CPU, but I set them back to default because it is not much needed. However on games like Fornite and League of Legends I will get random frame drops. And they aren't bad, theyre like from 144 to 90, because i have a 144 HZ monitor. However when it does drop that low the screen freezes for a second. Here are some pictures.

The first image is with one monitor only.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gEBSTarX9ScZBVQKKzQolD9GiSyCG5Ne

These are with 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z1cz9rfsSxshhnakZL_s4CmxuGUVcaCF
https://drive.google.com/open?id=127Yfsqk-PQRcq6F914v6R2xyHFl9jrb7

Those are both on fortnite.

So the things I have tried so far is uninstalling graphics drivers. Putting the games that have problems on my SSD. Turning every other program off. Using Razer Cortex or other applications to boost my RAM. Using one monitor only. Im not one who will have a problem then whine about it and not look for a solution. I have been digging and trying for a solution for about a month almost every day.

If anyone has any idea let me know, if you want me to download a program and run it and monitor my usage and FPS I will do that. Don't know what else to try. And its annoying in fortnite because i'll get into a fight and my screen will freeze.

Another note. Battlefront 2, runs perfect at about 70-90 FPS on ultra. yet when I get frame drops in that game say from, 90 FPS to a sudden 60, there is no screen freeze or lag. It's just a typical frame drop.

These Freezes last about 1 second.

Any other questions let me know and I will answer immediatley.

This computer was about 2.5k so I would want it to run at its best.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Its called razer synapse, its for the mouse and keyboard, there is also software for the headphones but I have never head of those conflicting, also when I used DDU like 2 days, ago, I uninstalled Geforece Experience, its not on my computer.

I fi dont use razer synapse I cant use my keyboard and mouse or customize anythingon them though.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Long thread, long read. :)

Two things that you can do:

1) Do a clean install of windows like Rogue Leader says
2) However, before that, take some time to read this:

In a few posts, I noticed you said that the graphics card runs 90 to 99% and reaches 84 degrees celsius while the max fan speed is 50%. Did I understand this correctly? If yes, then what is happening is that the graphics card throttles itself down after reaching nVidia recommended 82 degrees and reduces core clock to reduce the temps. If that is the case, increase your fan speed and monitor that the temps never touch 82 degrees celsius. Your card will never throttle, ergo there will be no sudden frame drops. Fan speed can be set via a custom curve using MSI Afterburner etc. Which tool are you using to monitor the temps and frames?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I thought that too, but its not doing it on demanding games, it does it on Fortnite. Batttlefront 2 and other games he says are fine.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

1) GTA V is "very choppy", or was that resolved? Sorry, its a long thread. :)
2) His brother's 1060 and i5 PC doesn't have issues on the same network

Therefore, its worthwhile to check the temps and fan. I went back to the first post again. Which 1080ti does he have? I hope its not the founder's edition (if there even exist one).

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

A founders edition does exist.

GTA V he posted a video and it ran fine, but he got a frame drop for a split second IIRC.

I'm thinking some sort of driver conflict, but it could be from anything he may have installed along the way, since its a new build, new Win 10 again and start from scratch especially with the GPU drivers. I did not know the 1080ti would be so sensitive between 82 and 84 degrees, as far as I knew it would not throttle till 90.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I do not believe there are any real network issues, because I've never had that problem, and I plugged my brothers PC into mine and there was no problem for him. Also the GTA 5 choppy was just because it read my system wrong in giving me the automatic graphics settings.

Also, my graphics card is a 1080 Ti PNY Blower. I really wanted an ASUS Strix 1080Ti but holy ---- did they sell out fast, this was all I could get my hands on.

I dont think its the GPU being sensitive either because I didn't have this problem starting off. Also I cranked up the fan speed so the Temps would be around 70, but the issue persists.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Yeah I replied to his original resoonse about the graphics card, look at it.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Im about to eat some subway then Ill do it, I'll get back to you. I dont think I have hear of any defects from the blowers, but who knows, so much can go wrong. I just played another game of fortnite and put the fan speed high so it keeps the temps down but same problem, was just makings sure. So its not that.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/1/

Read this, this is what I was looking at.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I've seen similar threads, but sounds massively worse than your issue. Some of those recommendations AFTER a clean install are worth trying, like disabling Xbox DVR,

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

reinstalling now

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Alright... So Temps and performance can be eliminated.

Reinstalling windows it is then. On this I have a couple of pointers :
1. Do a clean install like rogue leader said. No upgrade... No rollback... Just clean install from USB which formats the drive

2. After installing windows don't install any software that's not required. Such as logitech razer etc. Only after you think that the issue is resolved install those things. :)
Sorry for any typos. I typed this one in my phone.. :)

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

So that means I should wipe my hard drive too? Becauee I have the SSD, basically has all my applications, like the logitech, steam, razer, things like that, the things in my hard drive is my games, all my games are on there, not too many, but should I wipe that just in case, I don’t mind.

If I do that, I’ll reinstall windows on SSD, download steam and fortnite and that’s it then try it.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Your steam games you can leave, they should be fine to re-use your steam folder (or origin, etc) like the link I posted. Hes talking about applications running in the background like I mentioned, like the Logitech software for your headphones etc. That stuff can cause problems. We discussed this earlier.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Alright, so just reinstalling windows on my SSD and leaving my hard drive alone. Got it. Gonna go do it now.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Ok so i re installed windows 10, i downloaded the graphics driver and fortnite, sadly this did not work. Still get the same thing. Rest in peace. Gonna have to just smash the computer now.

Lemme know what else you might think of.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Is there like something that I can broadcast it to you with? That why wouldn't have to wait for responses through here, make it a lot quicker

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok don't smash anything.

Download something to monitor your temperatures lets double check those to be sure.

What is currently running in your system tray?

Go to task manager show me a screen shot of your "Startup" tab.

Then go to the "Detail" tab, click on the "CPU" column and let me know if anything is showing CPU usage while the system is idle (other than System idle process).

I'm assuming you only installed the driver and not GeForce Experience right?

Unfortunately broadcasting to me is just not possible. I am at a full time job all day, some days I'm free some days not, but can't do that on a work computer.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

CPU Coulumn Idle
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11pmZuTixdFgZXfh6gvt2tDt7hlEMP2we

Startup
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-SyThlSaOL_TQRtSXWErfpl2c0VQx03c

I only installed the driver for my graphics card. I did it through the site, not through Geforce Experience.

Do you think in any way it could be my graphics card. I can always switch out a part of my brothers computer. But I gotta do it by tonight or tomorrow casue he gets back tomorrow afternoon. I can try putting his SSD on my computer then seeing if it works and if it does then it software related im guessing. Lemme know and take your time, I dont mean to take you away from work.

Also I use HWmonitor to monitor temps and the MAX column is what i look at and nothing goes past a unstable temp, especially the CPU, it stays cool.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I tried it when I first boot up my PC, from the fresh install, and I've had those for so long and they haven't caused problems.

But I will try it and let you know.

Also I was just playing a game called battlerite, I dont know if you have heard of it but its a good game, not graphically demanding, my GPU usage is about 30% playing it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xR-VLZReQbxQqYcb3K2WHic02k857c5m

As you can see the little dip in GPU usage. And there are my temps for CPU next to it. And I know for a FACT that the game has NEVER done that, until I just got on it.

I will close all those applications and let you know whats up.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Everytime you tell me to do something different im hoping I can come back and be like hey that worked thanks for the help. Sadly not this time.

This is a screenshot from fortnite, with GPU temp, CPU temp, tasks and what not.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1K4iWEM5apOdnkIKHxhqQTYJWFWKyVhDW

Heres one from battlerite
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FxbojUDj3f6MPEXBCRMQzFuL_bdX90Ln

Both of them did the same thing, went down the row of applications just ending task, nothing worked.

TRENDING THREADS