Frame Freeze on games, please help.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Okay. Here is the run down. I am running on a PC I build in January, early. It is very nice. Here are the Specs.

1080 Ti
8700k i7
16 GB Ram
Dual Monitor Setup
Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply
Water Cooled CPU
Asus ROG Strix 370z or 270 cant remember
4 TB HDD
240GB SSD

So basically, I have overclocked both my GPU and CPU, but I set them back to default because it is not much needed. However on games like Fornite and League of Legends I will get random frame drops. And they aren't bad, theyre like from 144 to 90, because i have a 144 HZ monitor. However when it does drop that low the screen freezes for a second. Here are some pictures.

The first image is with one monitor only.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gEBSTarX9ScZBVQKKzQolD9GiSyCG5Ne

These are with 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z1cz9rfsSxshhnakZL_s4CmxuGUVcaCF
https://drive.google.com/open?id=127Yfsqk-PQRcq6F914v6R2xyHFl9jrb7

Those are both on fortnite.

So the things I have tried so far is uninstalling graphics drivers. Putting the games that have problems on my SSD. Turning every other program off. Using Razer Cortex or other applications to boost my RAM. Using one monitor only. Im not one who will have a problem then whine about it and not look for a solution. I have been digging and trying for a solution for about a month almost every day.

If anyone has any idea let me know, if you want me to download a program and run it and monitor my usage and FPS I will do that. Don't know what else to try. And its annoying in fortnite because i'll get into a fight and my screen will freeze.

Another note. Battlefront 2, runs perfect at about 70-90 FPS on ultra. yet when I get frame drops in that game say from, 90 FPS to a sudden 60, there is no screen freeze or lag. It's just a typical frame drop.

These Freezes last about 1 second.

Any other questions let me know and I will answer immediatley.

This computer was about 2.5k so I would want it to run at its best.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

The momentary freeze. Quite honest, if I had a not so good computer I wouldn't care, blame it on the computer. But sometimes it gets me killed in a fight, and make the gameplay less emjoyable.

but yes those are the micro stutters we've been dealing with this whole time.

Ill send you a video of everything on my computer basically.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I know, I’ve never seen a problem like this or even had it. It’s so random. Lemme know what ya find.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I can tell you there is another LARGE Win 10 update coming in April, if Creators update (which was last fall) is the issue somehow, its possible the next update could fix it.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Sorry to hear your issues are not yet resolved.

Your graphics card I just saw on web is a single fan founder's edition kind of thing. So, I am assuming temps are going to be high on this one. I read and reread your first post for system info and I could only find 3 possible culprits, not counting windows (which I dont think is an issue, because its never an issue, esp. on a fresh reinstall)

1) RAM - Run Memtest and see if it runs good. Good candidate for causing stutters if gone bad
2) CPU - Check the temps and see if its throttling at some point. Use MSI Afterburner and Hardware Monitor to cross reference data points. AB would show a nice graph of CPU usage while HW monitor would list temps and usage of all devices for a ready reckoner
3) Graphics card - Please install MSI AB and monitor the temps. Then after you finish a session of gaming full of issues, quickly check the graphs in AB. Wherever temps reach > 80 degree C, what is the corresponding core clock speed. You have to do a little analytics on this part

I do not want to create confusions here, its just that my 1060 is a mini from zotac having a single blower fan and apathetic cooler due to which it reaches 82 every time I play due to which it downclocks itself and causes massive frame drops in my games. Thats with fan at 100% and no cabinet, lol. So, what I did was I created a custom curve to limit voltages to 0.95V and max temps to be at 75. Due to which it keeps running at a clock lower than its upposed to run at and yielding lower frames as a result. BUT, those frames are constant due to which perceived smoothness has increased. e.g. my witcher 3 runs at 1080p ultra (foliage at high, no hairworks) at 60 - 70 FPS with 16.8 ms latency which is what it should be for a smooth gameplay. If I run that game on my stock graphics card, it runs at 50 - 80 FPS but with a latency of 20 - 25 due to which I feel the game to be laggy. True, I am losing hell lot of frames due to less voltage being supplied, but IMO, its better this way to keep the game running at a lower frame rate than to have spikey frame rates.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I have MSI Ab, used it since day 1, i know my ways round it, however I don’t know how to do the mem test for ram.... what would I use?

Also I know for a fact CPU temps are good but I will monitor them.

Also one more thing, the GPU i will monitor however, I was playing battlerite last night and it only uses 20-30% on my GPU, yes it did it still, but I will play and monitor everything, let me know how to do the mem test

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I feel stupid but, I plugged my brothers computer into my setup, ran MSI AB and battlerite, ans his computer got the same issues. I’m about to plug his computer back into his setup. Honestly I don’t think it’s internet I think it’s something to do with power maybe. I have so much plugged in. A portable AC and what not. Who knows, I’ll do some tests.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

DUDE, after all that? I thought you did this test already? Its definitely the internet.

If you were overdrawing your outlets your circuit breaker would pop. Your PSU is providing all the power you need.

I think its a good chance its that other router you have in between. Or your main router is getting hung up based on all the data being drawn from you and others in the house.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

IN MY DEFENSE, I tested his computer yesterday with fortnite and it didn’t do anything. Here’s a video of what I got going on

https://drive.google.com/open?id=14ezc3AGjWOrNrRWsPUfZCHfu-AQFLOtR

My question though. In the video that is our upstairs den. My computer used to be out there. I had no problems out there at all. And even once I moved in here with my old computer. So what happened like, Xfinity sucks sometimes.

hellraiser06

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

The thing that makes me highly question that it’s my internet is my family has been gone since saturday, it’s judt been me here, and I still get those issues, I am the ONLY person using internet in this house right now.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I think it may be one of your routers.

Can you take your computer and directly plug it into your cable modem and play off that (bypassing any network equipment you may have)? That will tell you if its an issue as it should work fine. ALSO try rebooting all your network equipment (power off cable modem, routers, etc, then power back up).

While everyone is out do you have smart devices in the house (Nest thermostat, smart tvs, etc), that may be powered on and using data?

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I will try all that I can. We have things using data but its never caused any problems.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Depending on the speed of your network connection or your wifi it could cause an issue. With my old network service we were streaming a movie to the TV once and my phone started to update apps, suddenly the TV started to stutter. Disabled the app updates and we were all good. My service has since been upgraded

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I've never had this problem before. I just took the router out of my room and replaced the Gigabit switch with it. Then ran the cord to my computer. Didn't work.

Ran the ethernet straight from the gigabit switch to my computer. Didn't work.

I can get the ethernet cord running from my router to upstairs to the gigabit switch and unplug it from there and just right into my computer. I just gotta move my computer out there and I've cable managed everything so I just gotta untie some stuff.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I had internet, when I switched I had to go into command prompt, ipconfig /renew

but it worked but that issues persisted.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

My ping wasn';t spiking so I dont think that was it, I treid the program.

The thing is if it was my internet would I just not get ping spikes? And then lag typically, like where you just walk in place. Not a little freeze?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

depends how the game handles lag. Theres no way to answer that, some games anticipate where the other people in game are going, others, freeze up

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

My ethernet cable might be mesed up, am going to try it in the morning, but I will let you know, I am going to connect stragiht from my router.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Update, I am at my friends house with my computer. I brought my monitor, his computer runs great on it, mine still has the same issues.

He has 130 MBs download speed, way better than mine. So it is not internet issues.

TRENDING THREADS