Frame Freeze on games, please help.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Okay. Here is the run down. I am running on a PC I build in January, early. It is very nice. Here are the Specs.

1080 Ti
8700k i7
16 GB Ram
Dual Monitor Setup
Corsair 850 Watt Power Supply
Water Cooled CPU
Asus ROG Strix 370z or 270 cant remember
4 TB HDD
240GB SSD

So basically, I have overclocked both my GPU and CPU, but I set them back to default because it is not much needed. However on games like Fornite and League of Legends I will get random frame drops. And they aren't bad, theyre like from 144 to 90, because i have a 144 HZ monitor. However when it does drop that low the screen freezes for a second. Here are some pictures.

The first image is with one monitor only.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gEBSTarX9ScZBVQKKzQolD9GiSyCG5Ne

These are with 2
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z1cz9rfsSxshhnakZL_s4CmxuGUVcaCF
https://drive.google.com/open?id=127Yfsqk-PQRcq6F914v6R2xyHFl9jrb7

Those are both on fortnite.

So the things I have tried so far is uninstalling graphics drivers. Putting the games that have problems on my SSD. Turning every other program off. Using Razer Cortex or other applications to boost my RAM. Using one monitor only. Im not one who will have a problem then whine about it and not look for a solution. I have been digging and trying for a solution for about a month almost every day.

If anyone has any idea let me know, if you want me to download a program and run it and monitor my usage and FPS I will do that. Don't know what else to try. And its annoying in fortnite because i'll get into a fight and my screen will freeze.

Another note. Battlefront 2, runs perfect at about 70-90 FPS on ultra. yet when I get frame drops in that game say from, 90 FPS to a sudden 60, there is no screen freeze or lag. It's just a typical frame drop.

These Freezes last about 1 second.

Any other questions let me know and I will answer immediatley.

This computer was about 2.5k so I would want it to run at its best.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

It’ makes sense, that’s why when I brought my brothers computer in here it did the same thing.... Its a -
ASUS VG248QE 24 inch 144hz

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yeah but you recorded it, with recording software. The monitor would have no effect on it at all.

Its either a random issue with your Nvidia GPU drivers (which happens, theres countless threads) or random network issues with the games you are playing.

The fact its not consistent or repeatable and the games are online, it makes sense.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Gonna try installing a different driver then.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Installing an older driver did not work unfortunatley.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

No, ok, I went over to his house. Ran his computer on 2 different games, one that I have NEVER gotten lag spikes from of the freezes. I plugged in my monitor, he got the samw issues. I plugged in my PC, same issue, with my monitor. My second moonitor at home is also a 60hz, I am playing with it right now and am not experiencing issues.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Not runing Vsync, so if I can record my screen w my monitor what does that have to do with it making it stutter?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If the monitor was causing the stutter the recording software would not pick it up. the stutter would be happening at the monitor, monitors do not transmit back to be recorded, the recording software picks up the signal before it gets to the monitor.

Try another 144hz monitor, you'll see the same issues.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

Okay so here, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t6vufhjLuJHMzvx6Bx9gZOolALr3Whly
This is league, as you can see the GPU drop, that was a freeze in my frame.

I've been playing League for over 5 years, and let me tell you that is not a connection problem, I have lagged in every way possible on that game and that is not a lag.

So its not internet.

You can run league on a toaster, so its not my GPU or CPU over heating.

So not hardware.

Is there ANYTHING you can think of that might do that.

My main monitor is 144hz through display port. My second is 60hz through HDMI, I thought those would conflict but I tried it with just my 144hz plugged in. Same issue.

Is there ANYTHING you think I could do, anything else. Im stuck.

Edit -
What drivers to I NEED for my motherboard? here they are
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

ANY other drivers that you know of that I could install?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No, only install the newest ones that ASUS offers

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

When I try to install the VGA one, it says "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements"

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I did not, reinstalled everything and STILL the same issue persists. I have a plan, I am going to smash my computer then blame it on the government and make them give me a new one. ;)

But on a real note I dont know what to do. I mean I thought something might be bottle necking but like it should never do that with a game like League Of Legends, and I know its not internet for that becasue I've played that for so long I know what lag on there looks like and that is not it. I was thinking about starting and replacing parts becasue obviously something isn't running right.

Can you think of anything else? I mean we have tried just about everything.

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

But my friends system was at his house. And his download and upload speed was INSANE compared to mine. He has NO reason to lag what so ever. If I were to replace a part, just to try it, which should it be.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

But you said you saw the lag, on his system.

I don't even know, I don't want you to spend money when you do not have to. If you can exchange or warranty the GPU, try that, won't cost you anything. I don't think it will help either.

BTW to be sure, you have not disabled windows pagefile have you?

calebworthy21

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018

I dont even know what windows pagefile is, what is it? How do I check

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

if you don't know what it is, you didn't disable it, so not a concern

Lets try Windows 10 gamebar, the xbox features I mentioned earlier. Try this

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-and-remove-game-bar-windows-10-creators-update

TRENDING THREADS