bbacker26

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
Hello,

I am experiencing stuttering / frame time spikes in every game I play. I have spent days trying to diagnose what could be causing them but to no success. This same problem was happening on my old PC that I fully upgraded 2 weeks ago and the issue is still occurring. PLEASE if you have any input/suggestions let me know because I am losing my mind over this issue.

MY SPECS:
-i7 9700k (not OC)
-EVGA Geforce RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid (not OC)
-Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
-ASUS Prime Z390-A
-Corsair RMX 750x WATT PSU
-Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD
-6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD
-1TB WD BLUE 7200RPM HDD
-TP Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe Wifi Adapter
-Primary Monitor: ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165hz Gsync)
-Secondary Monitor: ASUS VG248QG (1080p, 165hz, Gsync)

MY SITUATION:
In every game I play there are frame time spikes which cause my fps to drop slightly. These spikes + small fps drops result in a very noticeable stutter. I cap my fps at 162 because that is what the Blur Buster G SYNC Guide Recommends: (https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/) ------ In my case, since I have a 165hz monitor, I set my fps cap at 162 (3fps below displays maximum refresh rate) and I also Enabled V Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel and Disabled it in games. I use Rivatuner to cap the fps. During games my framerate will be at 162 yet randomly will drop very slightly to sometimes 161, 160, 159 fps, etc and the stutter is very noticeable. I noticed that these frame stutters happen more often for example when I am moving around the map in CSGO rather than just standing still. My rig is very capable so these frame drops in CSGO make zero sense. These frame time spikes occur in both online/offline games.

Here is an example of what I'm experiencing: This is a 5 minute play session of CSGO. As I said, the frame rate only drops about 1-5 frames yet the stutter is very noticeable. Notice how the frame rate drops are in sync with the frame-time spikes. (You might have to zoom in to see the small dips in frames)
iFffMWj.png

HERES ACTUAL GAME FOOTAGE:
------------- This footage does not capture the actual stutters as I see them, maybe this is something related to my issue?

This issue was happening to me before I upgraded my PC 2 weeks ago, and for some bizarre reason is still occurring. I swapped every single component CPU, GPU, MOBO, SSD, PSU). The only part I did not change is my Wifi Adapter but I wanted to make sure so I removed it from PC, played games in offline mode, and stutters still occur so cant be the issue.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
-SWAPPED EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT IN MY PC (GPU, CPU, MOBO)
-Reinstalled Windows Multiple Times (Even on New SSD)
-Reinstalled GPU drivers (Used DDU for clean install without Geforce Experience)
-Updated Bios/ MOBO Drivers (Audio/LAN/Chipset)
-Disabled All In-Game Overlays
-XMP On/Off - No difference
-Closed all unessessary background processes
-Turned on High Performance Power Plan in Windows
-Turned on Prefer max performance in NVCP
-Messed with every combination of Enabling/Disabling Gsync and Vsync - stutter still occurs in any configuration
-Tried capping fps at lower values (144, 120, 60) - stutter still occurs
-Disabled HPET
-Disabled C States
-Disabled Speed Step/ Disabled Speed Shift
-Created an Empty Standby List Task that runs every 5 mins
-Tested on Other 165hz monitor - no difference
-Used different Display port - no diff
-Turned game settings all low - no effect
-Play games in Offline mode - no effect
-Ran Memtest86 - no errors found
-Disabled Game DVR
-Plugged PC into different wall outlet in case this is somehow a power issue. Had no effect.

NOTES
-Temperatures are all normal
-I have bench marked GPU, CPU and both are performing normally
-No overclocks
  • I have searched countless other forums about this issue, none had a fix
  • There has got to be some underlying cause for this, it can't just be a random occurrence. So PLEASE, if you have ANY and I mean ANY sort of advice, guidance, etc please let me know.
Thanks

Jul 30, 2020
Sorry just saw this. I too have the exact same issue. I have changed everything in my system. Several things more than once. I believe it to be faulty gpu or faulty gsync/freesync monitors. They are hard to diagnose as faulty but definitely the root cause is the synchronisation between variable refresh rate monitors and gpu. I would return both and carry on returning until it works. Might actually force them to test products carefully before sending crap to us. Only other possibility is windows doing dodginess.

bbacker26

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
Sorry just saw this. I too have the exact same issue. I have changed everything in my system. Several things more than once. I believe it to be faulty gpu or faulty gsync/freesync monitors. They are hard to diagnose as faulty but definitely the root cause is the synchronisation between variable refresh rate monitors and gpu. I would return both and carry on returning until it works. Might actually force them to test products carefully before sending crap to us. Only other possibility is windows doing dodginess.
Hey man, thanks for replying. I know this is very embarrassing, at least for me, but my issue was not hardware related. It was a software called MSI afterburner AND rivatuner that we’re the cause of my problem. For some ridiculous reason I thought these programs were necessary for my pc to run optimally because I have set fan curves and limited my FPS thru rivatuner. Therefore, I never tested to see if these programs were the cause of my stutter. When I tested games with these two programs deleted, the stuttering vanished.

Jul 30, 2020
Hey man, thanks for replying. I know this is very embarrassing, at least for me, but my issue was not hardware related. It was a software called MSI afterburner AND rivatuner that we’re the cause of my problem. For some ridiculous reason I thought these programs were necessary for my pc to run optimally because I have set fan curves and limited my FPS thru rivatuner. Therefore, I never tested to see if these programs were the cause of my stutter. When I tested games with these two programs deleted, the stuttering vanished.

Jul 30, 2020
The last time I had a completely smooth experience I had a dell gsync monitor 144hz, ryzen 3600x with 16gb 3600mhz ram and a 1080ti. It stuttered the first few months owning it then one day magically just ran perfect. I swapped it for an intel system and have never managed to get pc gaming back to that. How this happened I don't know but that's my story lol I'm now on a 10700k with another 1080ti. I've tried an 8700k, 9600k, 3800x, 4 sets of ram, an rx5700, a 2080 super, a 2080, this 1080ti, a corsair rm850x psu, evga g2 750w psu, 2 ssd 1 sabrent 1 crucial, 4 motherboards including 2 z390 a x570 and a z490 an alienware 240hz monitor, a lenovo gsync 144hz monitor. Everything exactly same problem 😔

bbacker26

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
The last time I had a completely smooth experience I had a dell gsync monitor 144hz, ryzen 3600x with 16gb 3600mhz ram and a 1080ti. It stuttered the first few months owning it then one day magically just ran perfect. I swapped it for an intel system and have never managed to get pc gaming back to that. How this happened I don't know but that's my story lol I'm now on a 10700k with another 1080ti. I've tried an 8700k, 9600k, 3800x, 4 sets of ram, an rx5700, a 2080 super, a 2080, this 1080ti, a corsair rm850x psu, evga g2 750w psu, 2 ssd 1 sabrent 1 crucial, 4 motherboards including 2 z390 a x570 and a z490 an alienware 240hz monitor, a lenovo gsync 144hz monitor. Everything exactly same problem 😔
Really sorry to hear that. At this point I think it might be time to check to see if the issue is related to the power in your home. Have you tested your pc in a different outlet or better yet a different location like a friends house? During my time troubleshooting I thought my homes power could be causing my issue so I decided to research. I found a forum with a guy having stuttering issues related to mine, and the issue was his homes power circuitry. What solved his problem was purchasing a UPS system (specifically one with double conversion) which is like an external power unit that you plug your pc into. I actually ended up buying one of these just to see if it would help but like I said my issue was software related. I see you have swapped almost every component so I think it’s time to start thinking of more outside the box solutions. Hope for the best man

bbacker26

Reputable
Dec 26, 2017
Hello,

I am experiencing stuttering / frame time spikes in every game I play. I have spent days trying to diagnose what could be causing them but to no success. This same problem was happening on my old PC that I fully upgraded 2 weeks ago and the issue is still occurring. PLEASE if you have any input/suggestions let me know because I am losing my mind over this issue.

MY SPECS:
-i7 9700k (not OC)
-EVGA Geforce RTX 2080ti XC Hybrid (not OC)
-Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
-ASUS Prime Z390-A
-Corsair RMX 750x WATT PSU
-Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 SSD
-6TB WD Blue 5400RPM HDD
-1TB WD BLUE 7200RPM HDD
-TP Link TL-WDN4800 PCIe Wifi Adapter
-Primary Monitor: ASUS PG279Q (1440p 165hz Gsync)
-Secondary Monitor: ASUS VG248QG (1080p, 165hz, Gsync)

MY SITUATION:
In every game I play there are frame time spikes which cause my fps to drop slightly. These spikes + small fps drops result in a very noticeable stutter. I cap my fps at 162 because that is what the Blur Buster G SYNC Guide Recommends: (https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/) ------ In my case, since I have a 165hz monitor, I set my fps cap at 162 (3fps below displays maximum refresh rate) and I also Enabled V Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel and Disabled it in games. I use Rivatuner to cap the fps. During games my framerate will be at 162 yet randomly will drop very slightly to sometimes 161, 160, 159 fps, etc and the stutter is very noticeable. I noticed that these frame stutters happen more often for example when I am moving around the map in CSGO rather than just standing still. My rig is very capable so these frame drops in CSGO make zero sense. These frame time spikes occur in both online/offline games.

Here is an example of what I'm experiencing: This is a 5 minute play session of CSGO. As I said, the frame rate only drops about 1-5 frames yet the stutter is very noticeable. Notice how the frame rate drops are in sync with the frame-time spikes. (You might have to zoom in to see the small dips in frames)
iFffMWj.png

HERES ACTUAL GAME FOOTAGE:
------------- This footage does not capture the actual stutters as I see them, maybe this is something related to my issue?

This issue was happening to me before I upgraded my PC 2 weeks ago, and for some bizarre reason is still occurring. I swapped every single component CPU, GPU, MOBO, SSD, PSU). The only part I did not change is my Wifi Adapter but I wanted to make sure so I removed it from PC, played games in offline mode, and stutters still occur so cant be the issue.

WHAT I'VE DONE:
-SWAPPED EVERY SINGLE COMPONENT IN MY PC (GPU, CPU, MOBO)
-Reinstalled Windows Multiple Times (Even on New SSD)
-Reinstalled GPU drivers (Used DDU for clean install without Geforce Experience)
-Updated Bios/ MOBO Drivers (Audio/LAN/Chipset)
-Disabled All In-Game Overlays
-XMP On/Off - No difference
-Closed all unessessary background processes
-Turned on High Performance Power Plan in Windows
-Turned on Prefer max performance in NVCP
-Messed with every combination of Enabling/Disabling Gsync and Vsync - stutter still occurs in any configuration
-Tried capping fps at lower values (144, 120, 60) - stutter still occurs
-Disabled HPET
-Disabled C States
-Disabled Speed Step/ Disabled Speed Shift
-Created an Empty Standby List Task that runs every 5 mins
-Tested on Other 165hz monitor - no difference
-Used different Display port - no diff
-Turned game settings all low - no effect
-Play games in Offline mode - no effect
-Ran Memtest86 - no errors found
-Disabled Game DVR
-Plugged PC into different wall outlet in case this is somehow a power issue. Had no effect.

NOTES
-Temperatures are all normal
-I have bench marked GPU, CPU and both are performing normally
-No overclocks
  • I have searched countless other forums about this issue, none had a fix
  • There has got to be some underlying cause for this, it can't just be a random occurrence. So PLEASE, if you have ANY and I mean ANY sort of advice, guidance, etc please let me know.
Thanks
EDIT: I FIXED THE STUTTERING!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!What I did that removed all stuttering was a combination of things so bare with me here: a fresh install of windows, unplugged the USB 3.0 cable from my motherboard, set my XMP profile to on and chose the "XMP 2" option in ASUS bios, changed my fps limit on my 165hz monitor from 162 to 163 in Nvidia control panel under "Max Framerate" (this seemed to be a more stable limit for some bizarre reason), completely uninstalled MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner as these introduced stuttering for me, Turned ON GPU Scheduling in Windows settings, turned on high performance power mode, turned off xbox game mode/dvr, and I also disabled all background apps in settings. The difference is night and day. Been dealing with stuttering for 4 months on my new 2k dollar pc and I can FINALLY enjoy it! There is literally 0 stutter now. PLEASE, if my situation is similar to yours, try out these steps. I suggest trying some of the less extreme stuff first (setting fps limit to 163, turning on XMP 2) before going ahead with a fresh windows install. The smaller things might actually be the issue. Please lmk if they helped you!

Jul 30, 2020
I had same problem and thought it was gpu or monitoring software etc. Turns out to be a combination of custom fan profiles in corsair or similar software and unstable overclocks on cpu core and ring ratio and ram.