aymanfarshid94

Honorable
Feb 5, 2018
Hello all,

I recently got a new monitor LG UltraGear 27GN750-B 240hz and am a mildly casual player with friends on Valorant. I see that this monitor comes with FreeSync Premium. I would like to know some opinions on if I should have it on or off (using the OSD)
I usually don't play at native FHD in game and play 4:3 resolutions such as either custom 1440 x 1080 or 1280 x 960. For both resolutions I get around 300-400 in a custom lobby alone and 250 average in 5v5 modes with peaks at 180~ at lowest and 300~ at highest.

1. Since I am playing at 240hz, is it advisable to keep freesync on or off, in order to get a smoother experience. Also, what does the variable refresh rate option in Win10 graphics settings mean and should I consider it? (it is off by default)

(add your comment here)

2. I dont know if this point is valuable and if it makes a difference but to enable 4:3 resolutions on 240hz I usually have to enable GPU scaling otherwise on display scaling it only defaults to 144hz as seen on the OSD and I have tested this multiple times.
Is it a good idea instead to set the display at 144hz and play with a decently higher FPS so no drops happen below the refresh rate? In this case should Freesync be on or off?

(add your comment here)

3. I also turned off Hyperthreading in the BIOS which removed the multi-threaded rendering option from video settings in game, is it a better option to keep this ON?

(add your comment here)

The only reason I turned it OFF is because I used to play CSGO and during multiple tests I noticed my FPS was completely halved with HT ON ( HT OFF: ~300fps / HT ON: `150fps)

4. Additionally, I would like to know how to set my panel to maybe a custom refresh rate like 165hz/180hz/200hz if possible so I can get the best experience then out of it (like CRU)

(add your comment here)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

System Specs -

i7-7700 with corsair H60 120mm CPU cooler
gigabyte z270 motherboard
2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM
XFXX RX 580 8GB
OS and game on M.2
Win10

1. Since I am playing at 240hz, is it advisable to keep freesync on or off, in order to get a smoother experience. Also, what does the variable refresh rate option in Win10 graphics settings mean and should I consider it? (it is off by default)
If you are consistently getting above 240 FPS, then leave it off. If you are getting below that and screen tearing is noticeably annoying, turn it on.

2. I dont know if this point is valuable and if it makes a difference but to enable 4:3 resolutions on 240hz I usually have to enable GPU scaling otherwise on display scaling it only defaults to 144hz as seen on the OSD and I have tested this multiple times.
Is it a good idea instead to set the display at 144hz and play with a decently higher FPS so no drops happen below the refresh rate? In this case should Freesync be on or off?
Whatever refresh rate the monitor should be at depends on you. If you're fine with 144Hz, then I don't see why not.

Whether FreeSync should be on or not, see the previous answer.

3. I also turned off Hyperthreading in the BIOS which removed the multi-threaded rendering option from video settings in game, is it a better option to keep this ON?
The only reason I turned it OFF is because I used to play CSGO and during multiple tests I noticed my FPS was completely halved with HT ON ( HT OFF: ~300fps / HT ON: `150fps)
Generally yes. Otherwise you've reduced your CPU's performance to that of an i5-7600. But if CS:GO is the only game you play or play primarily, then sure, you can leave it off if you can't find a solution to this problem and you really want 300 FPS.

TRENDING THREADS