[SOLVED] FreeSync Premium vs G-Sync Compatible?

waleedfsd

Commendable
Feb 23, 2018
I recently bought a monitor that's Freesync Premium certified but I have an Nvidia GPU so in the control panel it warms me that the display is not G sync compatible?

So I was wondering what's the difference between these two? And should I turn it on?

Solution
Gsync is not the same as GSync Compatible. The latter is just a FreeSync monitor that:
  • Has a DisplayPort input (obviously, since FreeSync over HDMI is a proprietary "work-around" that AMD created. HDMI 2.1 will now support VRR over HDMI for both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but both your monitor and GPU need to support HDMI 2.1)
  • Has a 2.4 : 1 VRR range (most 120+Hz FreeSync monitors will satisfy this)
  • VRR enabled by default / out of the box (THIS is the main reason why so many monitors don't qualify for GSync Compatible certification)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you have to use display port, but nvidia gpu will work fine on freesync. i have a 1650 super and have no issues with my freesync monitor.

but you do have to use display port to use the feature.

the difference between them is simple that gsync is proprietary and costs money for a monitor to include it. while freesync is open source and anyone can include it for free. they do the same thing with neither one really being "better". its just one (gsync) raises the price of a monitor due to licensing fees.

Last edited:
Gsync is not the same as GSync Compatible. The latter is just a FreeSync monitor that:
  • Has a DisplayPort input (obviously, since FreeSync over HDMI is a proprietary "work-around" that AMD created. HDMI 2.1 will now support VRR over HDMI for both AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but both your monitor and GPU need to support HDMI 2.1)
  • VRR enabled by default / out of the box (THIS is the main reason why so many monitors don't qualify for GSync Compatible certification)

Reactions: King_V

waleedfsd

Commendable
Feb 23, 2018

But why is my monitor not qualified to be G-Sync compatible? What does it lack?

waleedfsd

Commendable
Feb 23, 2018

Also my Display is said to be Freesync Premium certified, Is that not as good as gsync compatible certified? What's the difference?

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync
FreeSync premium just means it has a >120Hz maximum refresh rate and (by nature) would support LFC.

Doesn't mean better or worse. As my previous response outlined, Gsync "compatible" is just a basic list of requirements Nvidia set for their internal classification of FreeSync panels. Getting a GSync "compatible" certification doesn't make one monitor necessarily better than another, especially given my last bullet point.

waleedfsd

Commendable
Feb 23, 2018
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/free-sync
FreeSync premium just means it has a >120Hz maximum refresh rate and (by nature) would support LFC.

Doesn't mean better or worse. As my previous response outlined, Gsync "compatible" is just a basic list of requirements Nvidia set for their internal classification of FreeSync panels. Getting a GSync "compatible" certification doesn't make one monitor necessarily better than another, especially given my last bullet point.

So if Two monitors have the exact same specs but one is G sync compatible and the other is Freesync Premium then both are equal?

If they have the exact same specs and one isn't GSync Compatible, then it most likely ships with VRR turned off in the OSD menu (you know, for compatibility reasons), which would prevent it from getting Nvidia's blessing, as I've mentioned twice already.

If these two fictitious monitors are the exact same price (and one doesn't look better to you, or have a height-adjustable stand, or whatnot X-factor), then technically having VRR turned on by default (out of the box) and having Nvidia control panel recognize the monitor and auto-enable VRR could be considered a benefit. But doing those two steps manually is a one-time setting, unless you're constantly disconnecting/reconnecting said monitor to one/multiple systems.

waleedfsd

Commendable
Feb 23, 2018
B
If they have the exact same specs and one isn't GSync Compatible, then it most likely ships with VRR turned off in the OSD menu (you know, for compatibility reasons), which would prevent it from getting Nvidia's blessing, as I've mentioned twice already.

If these two fictitious monitors are the exact same price (and one doesn't look better to you, or have a height-adjustable stand, or whatnot X-factor), then technically having VRR turned on by default (out of the box) and having Nvidia control panel recognize the monitor and auto-enable VRR could be considered a benefit. But doing those two steps manually is a one-time setting, unless you're constantly disconnecting/reconnecting said monitor to one/multiple systems.
But why don't some monitors like mine qualify for G Sync compatibility?

Solution