Question Freeze/Crash with vertical lines on screen (requires force shutdown)

GangstaSlime

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2015
Over the past 6 months or so I've had this problem:

While in use, my desktop will suddenly cut to a screen with vertical, white lines. Every time it does it each of my monitors will be a different color and sometimes there won't be any lines at all, just a colored, blank screen. If I have music playing or I am watching a movie it will continue to play (I can hear it) for a few more seconds, but then it makes the horrific crashing sound for another few seconds and finally stops completely.
Whenever my desktop does this I have to force shutdown because it will not shut itself down like a normal Windows crash would.
When I open event viewer, I can see the where I had to shut it down, but there are no other errors to tell me what's wrong.

Someone I know wondered if it was from overheating, but I have never had it happen while doing anything resource-intensive such as playing a game, it's only when I'm doing something simple.
Something very interesting about this problem though is that it will happen at least once per day, but then I can go over a month without it ever happening.
There was a time when I updated my GPU driver and it stopped for a while, but now it happens regardless of my constant driver updating.

Here's exactly what this crash looks like --> https://ibb.co/tz6YV73
Any and all help is appreciated!

Specs
MSI AMD Radeon R9 270X Gaming 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Cards (x2)
MSI ATX DDR3 2133 Motherboard 970
Corsair AX1200i PSU
Noctua NH-D14 6 Dual Heatpipe Dual Fan Heatsink
Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 RAM
AMD FX 8350 Eight-Core Processor
WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB SSD
NZXT Phantom 410 Case

soheilsarhangzadeh

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
I'd run memtest86 to eliminate ram problems. Then to check for a faulty slot or card, remove one card, run a stress test, and if it crashes, put the card in the other slot. If it still crashes, that card is faulty. Do this with the other card and tell us the results. It's the only was to diagnose a broken GPU or slot or crossfire bridge.