Junon

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I've been having a problem for the last couple of days and i was hoping someone could help me.

My computer has been freezing lately. Normally it happens when the OS is booting, but after about 8 reboots i can actually get the system up. The computer will freeze after a couple minutes of use though.

I have checked every component on the computer piece by piece and have found nothing wrong with them. This makes me think that the problem might be the Mobo or a heat problem. My cpu runs at about 63 celcius which is about normal for an AMD.

i'm completely baffled by this, and any help would be much appreciated.

Junon

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
nope, i've checked that too...

this is just nuts. i've never come across a prob like this before.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
Are you overclocking? 63 celsius is NOT normal. Even my old palomino wouldn't run hotter than 55, and this one below overclocked as it is runs betweek 45 and 48, depending on ambient temperature.

I can almost bet it's a heat or power supply issue.

XP 2500+ Barton @ 2241Mhz
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
MSI GF3Ti 500
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
I have an Athlon XP and it is not normal for it to run at 63 Degrees C! You should stop overclocking and run it at its natural speed or slower to ensure reliability.

I had this problem with my Athlon XP 2000+ but I underclocked it to run at 1.2ghz and it works fine. but OS freezing on startup sounds like a memory problem. This is where you can have too much memory.

Windows 9x (95,98,98 SE and ME) have a memory limit of 512MB of RAM. Anything above 512MB will slow it down and touching the 1GB mark will certainly freeze Windows 9x to a grinding halt. I suspect that you must be using more than 512MB of memory. My advice would be to look at the Microsoft Article on Windows freezing on startup. It will tell you how to adjust the Kernel to cater for the excess memory. Or if you have more money to spend upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP as these are built on an NT platform and can accept memory up to 2GB - plenty for the greediest user.

if you are using Windows XP or 2000 then make sure you have at least 128MB of RAM - although I would reccomend quadrouple the amount. Check your PCI cards are not conflicting with anything - if they are then move them further down the mobo giving the graphics card plenty of air but then again dont bunch all your PCI cards down the bottom of the MOBO. Space them out sensibly leaving two PCI slots for the graphics card.

Have you considered cleaning your processor fan? That can improve relaibility up to 22%!

Lemme no how you do. Also whats your PC spec and how are your PCI cards installed on ur mobo?

Hugh ;-)