Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015
Okay so, I can't find out much about this online but I've been looking at ram kits for my next pc. I've heard Ryzen really likes fast ram and I was wondering between higher frequencies or faster clocks.
I was looking to get some 4000Mhz kit just for headroom but I know the lower latency kits are a lot more expensive and at that point I might have to downgrade to a lower frequency for faster clocks.
I've heard that most Ryzen processors can't safely get infinity fabric past 1900Mhz without crashing or whatever

But here's my question: If I got a 4000Mhz kit and downclocked it to 3800Mhz, would that give me enough headroom to catch up with the more expensive kits in terms of cache latency?
Say I got this kit tested for 18-22-22-42 and downclocked it like I said, would I be able to use the 200Mhz of headroom to tighten timings to something more along the lines of this kit? tested for 16-16-16-36.
Downclocking it would certainly free up voltage right? Maybe not a lot since it's only 200Mhz but I would think with my extremely limited knowledge on this subject, that it would free up some voltage that could be used towards tightening timings.

I don't know if those timings are very different in terms of performance or anything, I just recently starting to try and learn more about ram because it seems really interesting.

Thank you for any responses

Solution
An interesting question, not sure there is a great answer. Every kit will be a little different and your results will vary based on the CPU and Memory's overclocking capabilities.

Worst case, the memory would operate as specified. Maybe you drop down to 3600Mhz to achieve your latency goals.

Lower timings makes a small FPS difference in some games, higher bandwidth mostly helps productivity tasks. In the case of Ryzen, it does set the speed at which the multiple CPU dies can talk to each other, so all kinds of tasks benefit when you can manage it.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
An interesting question, not sure there is a great answer. Every kit will be a little different and your results will vary based on the CPU and Memory's overclocking capabilities.

Worst case, the memory would operate as specified. Maybe you drop down to 3600Mhz to achieve your latency goals.

Lower timings makes a small FPS difference in some games, higher bandwidth mostly helps productivity tasks. In the case of Ryzen, it does set the speed at which the multiple CPU dies can talk to each other, so all kinds of tasks benefit when you can manage it.

Solution

Kolzach

Honorable
May 24, 2015

Interesting, maybe when the time comes to build I'll just get a 4000Mhz kit with the lowest latencies I can afford and post my results back here after underclocking. Thank you for the reply.