Question Frequent BSOD and can't reset my windows 10.

Alexed

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello,
So I've been suffering for the past week with this PC. Let's start off with how it began, I was playing a video game until suddenly I got a BSOD I tried to restart my PC but it just gave me another BSOD or sometimes just get stuck at start-up loading then turn off and on again so I could never get access to Windows until recently I gave it to some local PC fixing shop who managed to reset my SSD (I have 2 other HDDs who were not touched). And I also managed to get access to Windows but several problems happened after, I can't click or open the windows search bar or the logo at the left corner, browsers keep crashing every 5s (Firefox and Chrome). I also can't clean reset my PC like 2 HDDs and SSD included because whenever I try I either crash and get BSOD after or just get several errors that stop me from doing it. Same thing with USB install using Media tool and Rufus, I get to the step where I select language and stuff for my new windows version and it crashes right after. I'm really confused what the problem actually is, people tell me it could be RAM failure and I believe it could be one of the HDDs but the thing is they are all recognized by the PC and I did the memory diagnosis in Windows and It didn't identify a single problem. Please help I'm really clueless on this situation and thank you so much in advance.

have you been using the same iso to create the install packages or have you allowed the Media Creation Tool to download and create an up-to-date installer each time?
recently I gave it to some local PC fixing shop who managed to reset my SSD (I have 2 other HDDs who were not touched). And I also managed to get access to Windows but several problems happened after, I can't click or open the windows search bar or the logo at the left corner, browsers keep crashing every 5s
if you paid this shop for repairs and they have left it in this state then you either get your money back or get them to actually fix it.

and what do you mean by "reset my SSD"?
that is not actually a thing.
do you mean they formatted the disk and then installed Windows again?

what exactly did they tell you they did in regards to troubleshooting & repairs?
this is important in regards to your next troubleshooting steps.
if they didn't tell you anything; when you tell them they did not fix the system have them give you a list of all they had done.

Hello,
So I've been suffering for the past week with this PC. Let's start off with how it began, I was playing a video game until suddenly I got a BSOD I tried to restart my PC but it just gave me another BSOD or sometimes just get stuck at start-up loading then turn off and on again so I could never get access to Windows until recently I gave it to some local PC fixing shop who managed to reset my SSD (I have 2 other HDDs who were not touched). And I also managed to get access to Windows but several problems happened after, I can't click or open the windows search bar or the logo at the left corner, browsers keep crashing every 5s (Firefox and Chrome). I also can't clean reset my PC like 2 HDDs and SSD included because whenever I try I either crash and get BSOD after or just get several errors that stop me from doing it. Same thing with USB install using Media tool and Rufus, I get to the step where I select language and stuff for my new windows version and it crashes right after. I'm really confused what the problem actually is, people tell me it could be RAM failure and I believe it could be one of the HDDs but the thing is they are all recognized by the PC and I did the memory diagnosis in Windows and It didn't identify a single problem. Please help I'm really clueless on this situation and thank you so much in advance.
Does this flash stick boot and run on another machine?

If so unplug all disk except the ssd.
Does the flash stick now boot and run?

Alexed

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
have you been using the same iso to create the install packages or have you allowed the Media Creation Tool to download and create an up-to-date installer each time?

if you paid this shop for repairs and they have left it in this state then you either get your money back or get them to actually fix it.

and what do you mean by "reset my SSD"?
that is not actually a thing.
do you mean they formatted the disk and then installed Windows again?

what exactly did they tell you they did in regards to troubleshooting & repairs?
this is important in regards to your next troubleshooting steps.
if they didn't tell you anything; when you tell them they did not fix the system have them give you a list of all they had done.
I'm sorry I mean they formatted the disk, and I didn't actually asked

them how, I was do overwhelmed that I was able to access Windows again at that moment. I didn't quite understand what you said in the first part of your text about the iso file. I downloaded the win 10 media tool from the official website then put it inside the USB using Rufus to change the type from GPT to MBR. I also noted the type of BSOD I got, this is just a few of them.
KMode exception not handled.
Driver IRQL not less or equal.
Page fault in non paged area.
System service exception.

I downloaded the win 10 media tool from the official website then put it inside the USB using Rufus to change the type from GPT to MBR.
this wouldn't accomplish anything.
the Media Creation Tool only downloads the necessary install image and loads it onto a USB or creates a bootable image you can burn to a DVD or BluRay disk.

if you just place this Media Creation Tool on a Rufus created USB you wouldn't have a Windows installer.
that may be why you couldn't properly install Windows.

Alexed

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

I can't test it on another machine, the two laptops aren't mine to test on but I will try
this wouldn't accomplish anything.
the Media Creation Tool only downloads the necessary install image and loads it onto a USB or creates a bootable image you can burn to a DVD or BluRay disk.

if you just place this Media Creation Tool on a Rufus created USB you wouldn't have a Windows installer.
that may be why you couldn't properly install Windows.
Ok I tried this morning to place the Windows media creation tool directly to the USB through their setup like you said without using Rufus, same thing happens just when I boot it I reach the windows language selection menu and right after I get BSOD this time it's "PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA".

Alexed

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017

I did unplug all disks except the SSD and I tried to USB boot but same thing happens, a series of BSOD happen "Critical process died" "System service exception" and a few others, I can't reach the windows setup before this happens. Does this confirm that the HDDs were not the problem since they are unplugged and that it could be RAM? I just wanna confirm what the problem is to know when to spend the money and not be a waste for nothing. Thank you.

I did unplug all disks except the SSD and I tried to USB boot but same thing happens, a series of BSOD happen "Critical process died" "System service exception" and a few others, I can't reach the windows setup before this happens. Does this confirm that the HDDs were not the problem since they are unplugged and that it could be RAM? I just wanna confirm what the problem is to know when to spend the money and not be a waste for nothing. Thank you.
All that does is make the suspect list smaller.
Leave the hdd's unplugged for now.
If there is more than one stick of ram in the machine test with just one stick in the proper slot....see the manual for the slot.
If no help swap sticks...test.

Alexed

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
All that does is make the suspect list smaller.
Leave the hdd's unplugged for now.
If there is more than one stick of ram in the machine test with just one stick in the proper slot....see the manual for the slot.
If no help swap sticks...test.
I only have one RAM stick that has 16GB.

Alexed

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Is this stick of ram in the proper slot?

You really need some way to test the flash stick.
If there is something wrong with the stick you will go crazy trying to figure out what is wrong with the pc.
It is in the proper slot because that's where it was when the PC was working fine for 4 years or so. And I'm pretty sure the USB flash stick is fine but something in the hardware is interrupting the process.

It is in the proper slot because that's where it was when the PC was working fine for 4 years or so. And I'm pretty sure the USB flash stick is fine but something in the hardware is interrupting the process.
Never say never........check the manual and make sure the ram stick is in the proper slot.
If it is reseat the stick and test.

The flash stick is an unknown.

It is in the proper slot because that's where it was when the PC was working fine
slot A_2 is default for single stick operation.
but you should try this stick in slot A_1 to try and verify if A_2 is malfunctioning.

also have you ever ensured that you have all of the latest motherboard drivers & BIOS installed by checking the manufacturer's product support page?

you should post your complete system specs.
example:

Motherboard make & model
CPU
RAM make & model(CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4 (1x 16GB)
Graphics Card make & model
Power Supply make & model + time in use
Case make & model
System-wide Cooling: CPU cooler, case fans, etc

Last edited: