RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
I've been facing a bunch of BSODs on a new computer when rendering or scrubbing 4k videos in Davinci resolve and After Effects.

Here are some of them:
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION
IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL
PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA
KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE

On bluescreenview 'caused by driver' says ntoskrnl.exe

My specs:
i9 10900k, MB: MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY, 64GB RAM(corsair 16x4), MSI RTX 3090 SUPRIM, nvme: 1TB,500GB, 3 sata hard drives. Running Windows 10 (latest update)

I'm tried running memory diagnostic tool and after a while of running it, it came back with no errors. All my drivers are up to date.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Solution
The problem you have is the only times you get errors is when you run programs that likely need all 4 sticks worth of ram to run?

I would suggest just running with 2 of the sticks. I can't say they are a set as they aren't. Getting 4 unmatched sticks to work is a gamble. Some times it works, like clearly on your last PC, but others it doesn't.

It can be hard enough getting 2 sticks to work unless bought at the exact same time from same shop. then they should. Same sticks bought at 2 different times can have different memory chips on them, Corsair use Micron & Samsung memory on their sticks.

You would be better off with 64gb of matched sticks. then I wouldn't even look at ram right away.

lol at pressing best answer, i kept seeing...

Colif

Win 11 Master
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Reactions: RagAK

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .
Thanks for the instructions. Here's the minidump. Please let me know if that's ok and if you need any more info. Thanks once again! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oYqUTKFqSTxac7gsscm09zexk8IVo14W/view?usp=sharing

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/3mohupj2/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:061721-10812-01.dmp (Jun 17 2021 - 10:47:24)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ImagingEdgeWebcamLauncher.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)

File information:061421-9609-01.dmp (Jun 14 2021 - 03:17:09)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Resolve.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 18 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:060821-9828-01.dmp (Jun 8 2021 - 02:01:52)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

File information:060221-12296-01.dmp (Jun 1 2021 - 14:31:58)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:14 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:051721-9828-01.dmp (May 17 2021 - 12:51:46)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: WmiPrvSE.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490-UNIFY
There is a BIOS update available for your system. You are using version A.3 and the latest is A.8. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried running with just 1 set of ram in? the difference in latency could be reason for the errors.

getting 2 different sets of ram to work with each other is hard enough if they same types of ram, but trying to get 2 different types of ram, even if all made by Corsair, to run together can be a pain. can cause errors like these.

its likely those programs are only time you using all 64gb at once.

these are too old to be win 10 drivers (there are exxeptions)
Apr 18 2012SCDEmu.SYSPowerISO Virtual driver (PowerISO Computing) https://www.poweriso.com/
Oct 09 2014CMUAC.sysC-Media USB Audio Class driver
no actual drivers mentioned in dump text,. no clear pattern. most of the victims are parts of windows.

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
Thanks a lot Gardeman and Colif!

I actually have 4 sticks of the same RAM. Any other way I could find out what's wrong with the RAM?

"The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system." I have MSIdragon centre installed. Do I install Afterburner or get rid of them all?

I'll try updating my BIOS. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for,
Apr 18 2012SCDEmu.SYSPowerISO Virtual driver (PowerISO Computing) https://www.poweriso.com/
Oct 09 2014CMUAC.sysC-Media USB Audio Class driver
Do I manually find them on google and update them?

Thanks once again!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I actually have 4 sticks of the same RAM. Any other way I could find out what's wrong with the RAM?
Did you make this PC?

this is what BIOS shows
SizeSpeedManufacturerPart No.
16384MB2133MHz029ECMK16GX4M1B3000C15
16384MB2133MHz029ECMK16GX4M1D3000C16

you have 2 x https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-16GB-(1-x-16GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C16-Memory-Kit---Black/p/CMK16GX4M1D3000C16
and 2 x https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M1B3000C15

and looking at the codes, those sticks are sold as individual sticks, not a set of 2. That only makes it worse if it is true. Sticks sold in sets are at least built to work with each other. Individual sticks are harder to match, especially 4 of them.

and ram appears to be in slots wrong

i am assuming the ram is showing in slot order
order of ram should be different
should be:
CMK16GX4M1B3000C15
CMK16GX4M1D3000C16
CMK16GX4M1B3000C15
CMK16GX4M1D3000C16

it doesn't even look like the ram are in the right slots to be set up for dual channel - see page 4 - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C71v2.1.pdf

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
Did you make this PC?

this is what BIOS shows

you have 2 x https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE®-LPX-16GB-(1-x-16GB)-DDR4-DRAM-3000MHz-C16-Memory-Kit---Black/p/CMK16GX4M1D3000C16
and 2 x https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M1B3000C15

and looking at the codes, those sticks are sold as individual sticks, not a set of 2. That only makes it worse if it is true. Sticks sold in sets are at least built to work with each other. Individual sticks are harder to match, especially 4 of them.

should be:
CMK16GX4M1B3000C15
CMK16GX4M1D3000C16
CMK16GX4M1B3000C15
CMK16GX4M1D3000C16

it doesn't even look like the ram are in the right slots to be set up for dual channel - see page 4 - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C71v2.1.pdf

wow thanks for bringing that to my notice! I wasn't looking at that number when I said the RAM sticks were all the same.

I had this PC built by a friend. I upgraded from an older machine, so I didn't buy new RAM and used the same that I had on the old one.

I unfortunately pulled out the RAM yesterday to check their model numbers and ended up shuffling them around.

In the PDF you linked the slots say- DIMMA1, DIMMA2, DIMMB1, DIMMB2. Do they corelate to c15s and c16.

Apologies for my ignorance. I'm a total noob :/
Thanks again!

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
A
Did you make this PC?

this is what BIOS shows

should be:
CMK16GX4M1B3000C15
CMK16GX4M1D3000C16
CMK16GX4M1B3000C15
CMK16GX4M1D3000C16

Also, it says in BIOS the speed is set to 2133. The RAM sticks says 3000. Do you think my settings in the BIOS could be causing the issue? I still haven't updated my bios.

Colif

Win 11 Master
DIMMA1, DIMMA2, DIMMB1, DIMMB2
It isn't very clear in manual but
DIMMA1 & DIMMB1 are one channel & DIMMA2 & DIMMB2 are another channel
it doesn't matter which channel the CL15 or CL16 go in but it helps if both CL15 are in same channel & CL16 in other
at least to have them working in dual channel

2133 there is normal, I think mine would show as similar there even though its running at 3200 or 3000 in your case
CPU-Z would be best place to look, or in task manager/performance tab/memory - next to speed

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you only use 1 stick it goes in DIMMA2
If you use 2 sticks they go in DIMMA2 & DIMMB2
you only use the other slots if you have more than 2 sticks.

pc may not work well if you use DIMMA1 & DIMMB1 without ram in other slots, for instance

I know you have 4, just letting you know in case you remove some

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
It isn't very clear in manual but
DIMMA1 & DIMMB1 are one channel & DIMMA2 & DIMMB2 are another channel
it doesn't matter which channel the CL15 or CL16 go in but it helps if both CL15 are in same channel & CL16 in other
at least to have them working in dual channel

2133 there is normal, I think mine would show as similar there even though its running at 3200 or 3000 in your case
CPU-Z would be best place to look, or in task manager/performance tab/memory - next to speed

Gotcha! so I'll do it like you suggested earlier 15,16,15,16.

On CPU Z it says

memory
uncore freq- 4300 MHz

timings- DRAM freq- 1066 MHz

In task manager it says- speed: 2133 MHz.

As for the BIOS update, do you suggest I do it? I still wonder if there are other things in my BIOS that set incorrectly which might be causing the BSODs.

thx!

Colif

Win 11 Master
BIOS updates can fix memory problems, especially on newer boards.

is your ram on here for the motherboard?
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory
just curious if its been tested by Corsair with motherboard.

It appears ram could be running slow but turning xmp on when you already getting bsod is unlikely to fix it, might just create more.

I am not sure what uncore frequency is, clearly its different on intel to AMD. (yours is 4300, mine is 1596.8). On mine it matches the DRAM frequency.
2133 is 2x1066 so yours agree
1596 x 2 is close enough to 3200

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
Cool. I'll give bios update a shot.

Yes, c16 is on the corsair site for my MB. I can't find the c 15 one.

Thanks for your suggestions and sharing so much info. I shall try these things and write back if anything helps :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem you have is the only times you get errors is when you run programs that likely need all 4 sticks worth of ram to run?

I would suggest just running with 2 of the sticks. I can't say they are a set as they aren't. Getting 4 unmatched sticks to work is a gamble. Some times it works, like clearly on your last PC, but others it doesn't.

It can be hard enough getting 2 sticks to work unless bought at the exact same time from same shop. then they should. Same sticks bought at 2 different times can have different memory chips on them, Corsair use Micron & Samsung memory on their sticks.

You would be better off with 64gb of matched sticks. then I wouldn't even look at ram right away.

lol at pressing best answer, i kept seeing a green label and then it would disappear again.

Solution

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021

lol at pressing best answer, i kept seeing a green label and then it would disappear again.

Understood. The problem is its a bit hard to get BSODs to occur because they aren't predictable. but then again its a different BSOD each time, but often times the 'caused by driver' thing says "ntoskrnl.exe" .

I've currently installed them as c15, 16,15,16 as you suggested and I'll try playing with it a few days. I'll also try and update the bios one of these days. Will get back with an update soon.

haha!! my bad. I'm new here and I wanted to see what happens when I press that and then it said solved, which it still isn't, right? so I clicked on it again which is why it must have disappeared haha. but thanks for all the help! You're very kind!

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
the purpose of the button being a mystery is the main reason most of the regular people here have a link to this in their sig - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-award-best-answers-mark-question-as-solved.3450478/

at least having same cl ram in same channel might reduce chances of errors.

they will happen if they want to, I don't suggest trying to get them.

"they will happen if they want to, I don't suggest trying to get them." do you mean bios update?

btw I just stress tested by running a heavy 4k resolve timeline + After effects with tons of effects and some rendering on my gpu all simultaneously and no BSOD. I can't say with certainty that this would've triggered one otherwise but it has happened sooo many times that I almost never dared trying. Now I will work carelessly to see if i can trigger one haha . Who knows, maybe this really is indeed the solution. Thanks a ton either way. I have learnt a couple of things and there's a big chance its solved too. you're awesome!

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
Haha! Well i just don't want them happening when I'm working on something and things get screwed up with a project.

I want to update my bios but all the tutorials seem kinda scary. Too many warnings about brickonh the pc if something goes wrong. I have an inverter connected so there's no way I can lose power but I don't know what else can go wrong. :/

gardenman

Splendid
but I don't know what else can go wrong
Sometimes the updates simply don't work and the system stops responding. Often times people will wait 30 minutes and get tired of it, and shut their system off. This can brick the motherboard. This is a very rare case, but it does happen.

I've seen 100's of people update their BIOS on here, I'd have to say 99% went OK. I do remember one guy bricking his motherboard, but he tried an update for the wrong board (his motherboard page had listed 2 boards on it which was confusing).

I'm not going to tell you to update because if you do and brick your motherboard, then you might want to blame me. But, I think you'll be fine if you do update it.

If you still have A.3 installed (which was indicated in previous dumps) then A.8 is the latest. Some of the things which may (or may not) help with the BSODs in the updates from A.3 to A.8 are:

A.7:
- Improved compatibility of PCIe-based devices.
A.8:
- Improved Audio compatibility

And possibly other things.

RagAK

Commendable
Jun 19, 2021
Sometimes the updates simply don't work and the system stops responding. Often times people will wait 30 minutes and get tired of it, and shut their system off. This can brick the motherboard. This is a very rare case, but it does happen.

I've seen 100's of people update their BIOS on here, I'd have to say 99% went OK. I do remember one guy bricking his motherboard, but he tried an update for the wrong board (his motherboard page had listed 2 boards on it which was confusing).

I'm not going to tell you to update because if you do and brick your motherboard, then you might want to blame me. But, I think you'll be fine if you do update it.

If you still have A.3 installed (which was indicated in previous dumps) then A.8 is the latest. Some of the things which may (or may not) help with the BSODs in the updates from A.3 to A.8 are:

A.7:
- Improved compatibility of PCIe-based devices.
A.8:
- Improved Audio compatibility

And possibly other things.

Gotcha.. Thanks for so patiently explaining good sir! Also I'm not here to blame anyone if something goes wrong. It's solely my responsibility and problem. I'm just grateful kind and knowledgeable people are helping by sharing what you know.

Thanks again!

Reactions: gardenman

Colif

Win 11 Master
Bios updates help more on new PC and new boards, as they can improve compatibility with memory and perhaps fix features that didn't work before. Only update bios if you have problems, don't just update because there is a new one. I could now as I am a few versions behind but PC is working fine so why?

MSI even try to help

Most of the people I have suggested update have been fine. There are always exceptions but you have to think positive and assume it will be fine, or you never get anything done :)