Jul 31, 2023
Hi all, my friend whom I built a PC for used it smoothly for about a year. A few months ago he began experiencing very frequent crashes and BSODs. These would occur during both light tasks and gaming with and without streaming. We clean reinstalled Windows and that fixed it for a time but he soon experienced crashing again.

His specs include:
CPU: Ryzen 5 4600G
GPU: RX 480
RAM: 16GB 3600MHz (DDR4)
Mobo: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
PSU: EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 600 BQ

Some more common BSOD stop codes include "DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER", "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE", and "IRQL_NOT_LESS_NOR_EQUAL".

Please feel free to ask for more information. This is only part of what he's been able to figure out so I can ask him for more details.

Thank you to any who respond. We've been trying to tackle this for about a month now and it's shown no sign of resolving itself.

Jul 31, 2023
I'll get the BIOS version for you.

So far we've only reinstalled Windows. We can get to the Event Viewer but aren't sure what to make of it.

BIOS version is helpful.

After you did a clean install of Windows, and hopefully you ACTUALLY did a "CLEAN" install, (meaning you did not use any kind of restore operation or Windows image, but instead created brand new installation media using the latest version available from Microsoft's website, and then disconnected ALL drives except the target drive and the drive with the installation media on it, then chose the "Custom" option during the installation, then deleted ALL existing partitions on that drive, then installed to the unformatted and unpartitioned space. Windows will create any required partitions and perform all necessary formatting, automatically.) did you then go to the AMD website and download/install the latest 4600G chipset All in one driver, and then go to the product page for the B550M DS3H and download/install the latest LAN and audio drivers?

Which REVISION of the B550m DS3H do you have because there are several revisions of that board from 1.0 all the way up to 1.7 and they are not all the same and do not all use the same BIOS or driver versions. The revision version should be printed somewhere on the motherboard itself as in "rev.1.5" etc.

Also, which Windows version are you running?

Jul 31, 2023
Rev 1.2. BIOS Version is F14.

We ran the clean install from a USB drive for Windows 10.

We did not go through the driver installation steps that you're recommending. Will try.

So, first thing I'd do is update the BIOS to the latest version, which, you are MANY versions behind. No need to update to each release, just the latest one.

Then, perform the driver updates as I outlined.

Latest posts