[SOLVED] Fresh build - No signal after sleep, restart or normal shut down

Jul 13, 2022
I have built the following system; everything is brand new:

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P WiFi D4
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 Trinity 10GB LHR
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 3600Mhz Steel (PVS432G360C8K) (QVL; slots A2 and B2)
SSD: Patriot Viper VP4100 2TB M.2 2280 PCIe (M.2_3 slot)
Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-226-XT Black
PSU: Seasonic 850W Focus 80+ Gold
Case: DeepCool CK560

I have installed Windows 11 and everything is running perfectly, except that the system is totally unresponsive after waking from sleep, restart or starting after a normal shutdown. The fans turn on, but there is no video signal and the HDD light doesn't flash. At this point I have to power off by holding the power button for five seconds. After that, I press the power button again and the system boots normally. This is a dealbreaker for me, as I normally use the sleep mode several times per day.

This is not a OS or driver issue. It happens even after a save and reset from the BIOS. Also, it happens every single time and it happened since the first time I restarted the computer. I had to manually power off and on several times during Windows installation.

Things I've tried:

Enabled CSM
Disabled Fast boot
Changed from HDMI to DP cable
Different monitor
Updated GPU DisplayID firmware (https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...nvidia-gpu-firmware-update-tool-for-displayid)
Reset CMOS
Updated BIOS (1603) and Intel ME (16.0.15.1735)
Single memory stick (tried both of them)
Removed SSD
Suspend and wake from Ubuntu live running from USB stick

None of that made a difference.

I'm using BIOS optimized default settings, no XMP profile.

This motherboard does not have a diagnostic LED and the case does not have a speaker, so I can't get any codes. I have no integrated video, so I can't test without the GPU.

I'm running out of ideas. I have spent some days reading the forums and found some similar cases, but none of the solutions apply to mine. May be a faulty motherboard, but this guy had the same problem and it wasn't the mobo: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/asus-prime-z690-p-d4-boot-and-reboot-problem.18951484/. Could also be a bad PSU.

Unfortunately I don't have any spares to try, so it looks like I'll have to start RMA components one by one until I find the culprit. Major PITA.

I would appreciate any help.

Solution
I have just solved it. I removed to CPU to see if there were any bent or missing pins in the socket. There weren't, but I noticed a miniscule, barely visible speck of lint on the CPU contacts. I removed it, reassembled the system and now it's working fine.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"I had to manually power off and on several times during Windows installation. "

My thought is that system files were corrupted as a result. Or simply buggy and causing/caused problem.

There are other things that you can do as well.

If possible obtain a small speaker that you can connect to the motherboard to listen for beep codes.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some related error code, warning, or informational events that you can relate to the system becoming unresponsive or failing to recover.

Try running the built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Also try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

Also - new build:

Open the case to double check that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated. No one wants to force anything in a new build so what seems to be tightly connected is actually not. You may have to carefully disconnect and reconnect everything to be sure.

While doing so, also refer to the applicable User Guides/Manuals to ensure that connections are correct as well. Including the case front panel connections.

Jul 13, 2022
Thanks for the reply.

This:

"I had to manually power off and on several times during Windows installation. "

My thought is that system files were corrupted as a result. Or simply buggy and causing/caused problem.

It's definitely not that, because I removed the SSD where Windows is installed and I get the same behaviour when restarting from Linux running from a pen drive.

There are other things that you can do as well.

If possible obtain a small speaker that you can connect to the motherboard to listen for beep codes.

(...)

Also - new build:

Open the case to double check that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly seated. No one wants to force anything in a new build so what seems to be tightly connected is actually not. You may have to carefully disconnect and reconnect everything to be sure.

While doing so, also refer to the applicable User Guides/Manuals to ensure that connections are correct as well. Including the case front panel connections.

I'll try that.

Jul 13, 2022
Update:

I connected a speaker and a power button from an old case. Normal beep at cold boot, no beep with system unresponsive after reset/restart.

Then I borrowed a GPU and a PSU and I set up the computer outside the case. Exact same outcome. So it's either the motherboard or the CPU.

Reactions: Why_Me
Jul 13, 2022
I have just solved it. I removed to CPU to see if there were any bent or missing pins in the socket. There weren't, but I noticed a miniscule, barely visible speck of lint on the CPU contacts. I removed it, reassembled the system and now it's working fine.

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution