[SOLVED] Fresh install of Windows 10 partition delete

ardhemisst

Commendable
Aug 22, 2017
I want to to reinstall Windows 10. In installation window, I choose custom install.

I saw that I have these partition:
Partition 1 , 100mb, system
Partition 2, 16mb, MSR reserved
Partition 3, 259Gb, the C: partition on my old window
Partition 4, 250Gb, my D: partition
Partition 5, 1Gb, recovery

Can I delete partition 1, 2 and 5 and then install my Windows 10 in partition 3? Would that be safe?

Solution
I want to to reinstall Windows 10. In installation window, I choose custom install.

Can I delete partition 1, 2 and 5 and then install my Windows 10 in partition 3? Would that be safe?

can you show us a screenshot of Disk management? I want to see if this is 1 physical drive or 2.
right click start
choose disk management
expand the window to show all columns
take a screenshot and upload to an image sharing website and show a link here

Oh ok, so this is for a single drive partitioned into two.

thats my...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Disconnect your secondary drive first to avoid Windows potentially putting boot loader on it. Won't be able to boot to Windows If this drive is removed or fails.

After that, delete all partitions and click next. Windows will do the rest.

Watch from 4mins

Colif

Win 11 Master
no

part 1 is the boot partition

if you delete that, i hope you don't want to actually use pc

what drive is recovery on?

boju, if he does that windows will just recreate all the partitions he already has. 4 of them are default, 5th might be used for system storage. Win 10 now puts memory aside for future updates. Its so you never run out of space to install updates.

now i read it again, boju is right about how to install again. looks for a distraction

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i thought op just wanted 1 partition, like some people do. I was saying you can't just run from one partition on a GPT system drive...

I thought they had already clean installed and were wanting to change the default folders. :)

Colif

Win 11 Master

can you show us a screenshot of Disk management? I want to see if this is 1 physical drive or 2.
right click start
choose disk management
expand the window to show all columns
take a screenshot and upload to an image sharing website and show a link here

Oh ok, so this is for a single drive partitioned into two.

thats my question as well.

Thought's @Colif ? Can C:\ just be formatted or do the partitions C & D need to be recreated? Im not sure about keeping D:\ as is if there's data wanting to be saved.

I feel the 1st 2 partitions are so small they wouldn't notice the space missing but I can see why they might want the 1gb back. If part 3 & 4 are on different drives, then you can set bios to legacy boot method and set up win 10 as 1 partition but its a lot of work to get 116mb of space back.

part 4 could just be left as is, if its a different drive.

If 4 & 5 on same physical drive, it gets trickier.

note: when op gets a version update of win 10, and they don't have a recovery partition, win 10 is likely to create it anyway. I had 1 partition on WIn 10 originally but after a version update, it made the recovery partition. So tbh they better off just letting win 10 keep them.
MTE7LGg.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah we'll see what they mean. One partition + other partitions Win10 creates automatically would be easier. Having two partitions might make sense if didn't want to reinstall games or lose data on the secondary partition if just wanted to reinstall Windows on the primary partition. But not sure if that's possible.

Just noticed i somehow typed an apostrophe in the word thoughts lol