Jun 14, 2019
So im looking for a cooling option for a AMD FX-6300 Black Edition under $50. The thing is, I am interested in doing light overclocking (for the first time) to get to around 4.0-4.2 ghz, as I heard this cpu is easy to overclock. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ive over clocked my FX 6300 to 4.1Ghz just using the stock cooler. I did have a cooler master hyper 212 evo installed however I was getting very weird temp readings , like idle at 2°C and no higher than 20°C under full load, with stock I get more reasonable temperature readings , always a degree or so above ambient idle and max load around 45°C

Jun 14, 2019
Hm. Then I guess its a matter of how high I should aim to overclock, and what kind of cooling I would need. Ideally, though I want to use a better cooling method as this is using a used oem motherboard and cpu, so I don't know how extensively the hardware was used.

Jun 14, 2019
I have an asus m5a97 evo2/m51bc/dp. In the bios, it has 3 different power modes (I'm assuming its asus's automatic overclocking), but I haven't tested them to see how fast the high-performance mode can get, nor the temps.

I will keep the AMD overdrive program in mind when I try to overclock it.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I have an asus m5a97 evo2/m51bc/dp. In the bios, it has 3 different power modes (I'm assuming its asus's automatic overclocking), but I haven't tested them to see how fast the high-performance mode can get, nor the temps.

I will keep the AMD overdrive program in mind when I try to overclock it.
Don't use the Asus power modes, leave it on normal. That motherboard I used to overclock a friends FX 6300, it doesn't like a lot of voltage with it's quite small VRM heatsinks, here's a great video describing how to overclock a similar board.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpupfeMTzkE

Jun 14, 2019
Don't use the Asus power modes, leave it on normal. That motherboard I used to overclock a friends FX 6300, it doesn't like a lot of voltage with it's quite small VRM heatsinks, here's a great video describing how to overclock a similar board.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpupfeMTzkE
Thanks, ill keep that in mind too. Still looking for a good cooling solution though. Reading good things about the cooler master hyper 212 evo and its not that expensive. Should that be good enough for something like this? I also have a good thermal paste on hand, Artic Mx-4.

Jun 14, 2019
I would recommend the Cooler Master Blizzard T2 Mini if you like small form factor cooler but if you want beefier one maybe i can recommend Deepcool GAMMAX 400 :)
Ok cool ill keeps those in mind. Need to double check how much space I have for a larger cooler, but ill keep you posted on what I decide to go with.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I can say (from my own experience) over clocking my FX-6300 did lower my benchmark scores, however my GPU is not so great and what I have been told is over clocking the CPU wouldn't help over all due to the GPU, that said I can say that the over clock DID lower my benchmark score, as well if you do go with the Cooler master hyper 212 Evo, could you please post new temperature readings I am curious to see if it was only MY PC that showed strange temperature settings with this cooler, I have seen online (YouTube) video showing the same issue (temps around 4-6°C on idle) that is the only reason I swapped back to the stock cooler, it worries me the readings seem so far out, and my thoughts would be if its so far off range, would the CPU just fry because the sensors are wrong and that would cause the fans to not throttle when needed