[SOLVED] G-Sync flickering, is there a solution yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2019
I experience g-sync flickering in all 3 games tested so far:
  • League of Legends
  • Battlefield V
  • CS:GO

My system:
GPU - RTX 2080 Super
CPU - i5-8400
Mem - 2x8GB 2400mhz
Display: https://www.asus.com/Monitors/TUF-Gaming-VG27AQ/

When G-Sync is enabled in nvidia CP and I play my game in full-screen, the screen flickers black. I'm not the only one to experience this and online I can only find really old posts. I have the latest drivers from GeForce Experience and my motherboard (MSI Z-370A PRO).

Is there a fix for this yet? I paid premium to get G-Sync.

Solution
Try a different DP cable, they can be picky with them if that doesn't work then try the following.

Some G-sync/ Freesync monitors will flicker when the fps drop under the lower Freesync range, to eliminate this problem you need to extend the range to a lower frequency.

Download CRU (Custom Resolution Utility)

Monitor name>Edit
Input the lowest possible range under Data Blocks. 32-100hz is a good place to start.
Restart your PC then test with Nvidia Pendulum, if you see any flickering then try another frequency.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Try a different DP cable, they can be picky with them if that doesn't work then try the following.

Some G-sync/ Freesync monitors will flicker when the fps drop under the lower Freesync range, to eliminate this problem you need to extend the range to a lower frequency.

Monitor name>Edit
Input the lowest possible range under Data Blocks. 32-100hz is a good place to start.
Restart your PC then test with Nvidia Pendulum, if you see any flickering then try another frequency.

Reactions: r.hensley1990
Solution
Aug 5, 2019

Monitor name>Edit
I will try different DP cables, although this is already the 2nd cable that I have this problem with. Also considering my FPS on LoL/CSGO doesn't really drop below 200 (unless I turn v-sync on), I don't think the flickering is caused because of too low FPS, if anything too HIGH fps.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would think that the lower frame rates wouldn't be an issue. I checked on AMD's site, couldn't find the VG27AQ on their lookup page, but they have the VG27A listed. It shows 40-155 Hz via DisplayPort, and 40-144 Hz via HDMI.

It also is shown as having LFC (low framerate compensation), so it will handle down to 20Hz/fps without a problem. Not sure as to why the flickering would happen.
In addition to different cables, I would suggest that if there's more than one display port on your video card, try a different display port. Alternately, try using HDMI as well. There should be NO reason for ports to be going bad on a new card, but it's possible, and doesn't hurt to try to eliminate every possibility.

I can't speak to @delaro 's suggestions, so I will defer to his expertise there.

Worst case, it might not hurt to get in touch with Asus support as well.

Aug 5, 2019
UPDATE: So I looked at the manual for my monitor and it clearly states under "Adaptive sync":

* Adaptive-Sync can only be activated within 48Hz ~ 155Hz (DisplayPort only) and 48Hz ~ 144Hz (HDMI only).
And
Over Clocking may cause screen flickering. To reduce such effects, disconnect the DisplayPort cable and use the monitor OSD menu to try again with a safer Max. Refresh rate.

I have currently overclocked the refresh rate from 144hz (default) to 165hz (OC). This could easily explain the issues I've been having. Will post later today if going back to 155hz or 144hz even will fix these problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.