karyritter

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2014
Looking to build a computer I have the following USED components.
Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI
Processor: i7-4960X Extreme
Memory: f3-2400c10q-32gtx G.Skill Trident X
Video Card: GTX 1070
Power supply: TR2 600W TR2-600NL2NC

Will this work?
Have any recommended sites to see what is compatible?

If I do need to buy more components any suggestions on what is the cheapest option?

Thanks for your time and expertise. I haven't built a computer in 10+ years and am rusty to say the least.

kanewolf

Titan
Looking to build a computer I have the following USED components.
Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI
Processor: i7-4960X Extreme
Memory: f3-2400c10q-32gtx G.Skill Trident X
Video Card: GTX 1070
Power supply: TR2 600W TR2-600NL2NC

Will this work?
Have any recommended sites to see what is compatible?

If I do need to buy more components any suggestions on what is the cheapest option?

Thanks for your time and expertise. I haven't built a computer in 10+ years and am rusty to say the least.
That CPU is not compatible with that motherboard. Here is the list of compatible CPUs -- https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170XP-SLI-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Will this work?

No.

1. 4th gen CPU (Ivy Bridge) is not compatible with Z170 chipset MoBo, which only supports 6th gen (Skylake) and 7th gen (Kaby Lake) CPUs.
  2. Your 4th gen CPU uses LGA2011 CPU socket, while your MoBo has LGA1151 CPU socket.
  3. Your RAM is DDR3, while Z170 MoBo supports only DDR4 RAM.
  4. Tt TR2 600W PSU is low quality unit and shouldn't be used at all.

Depends what you want to keep/use. Is it CPU? MoBo? RAM? Since PSU you need to replace regardless.

If you want to use your CPU and RAM, you will need X79 chipset MoBo. Good luck finding one, since those cost an arm and a leg.

If you want to use your Z170 chipset MoBo, you will need DDR4 RAM and 6th or 7th gen CPU. DDR4 RAM is cheap. CPU - not so much.