Question Gamepad gives error after connecting (Power surge on the USB port)

Aug 12, 2018
I bought a new gamepad ( Speedlink strike NX), and i have used it for around 2 weeks. One day i connected it to my laptop and had error saying that Unknown USB device needs more power than the port can supply. I went to the place where i bought because I still had warranty , guy connects gamepad to the PC and it works without any errors. All my ports on laptop work perfectly fine because i tried connecting mouse on every one of them and had no problems.My question is are there any fixes to this problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Why that problem just appeared after two weeks is interesting. However, power problems cause or initiate all sorts of strange behaviors and events.

I think the error message is the key. The laptop is now, for some reason, not able to support the gamepad's USB power requirements.

A PC/desktop is more than able to do so.

Likewise the laptop may support a mouse. But maybe not both a mouse and gamepad.

Do you have access to an independently powered USB hub? Hub connects to host computer but is powered by its' own power supply.

If possible, borrow a independently powered USB hub from a family member or friend. Test accordingly.

Otherwise, you will need to purchase a powered USB hub.

Just google words such as "powered USB hubs" for more information and details.

Aug 12, 2018
Why that problem just appeared after two weeks is interesting. However, power problems cause or initiate all sorts of strange behaviors and events.

I think the error message is the key. The laptop is now, for some reason, not able to support the gamepad's USB power requirements.

A PC/desktop is more than able to do so.

Likewise the laptop may support a mouse. But maybe not both a mouse and gamepad.

Do you have access to an independently powered USB hub? Hub connects to host computer but is powered by its' own power supply.

If possible, borrow a independently powered USB hub from a family member or friend. Test accordingly.

Otherwise, you will need to purchase a powered USB hub.

Just google words such as "powered USB hubs" for more information and details.
Thank you for the response. I will try with the independent USB hub.