Question Games crashing after bios update and changing CPU settings

Adaml98

Reputable
Oct 14, 2016
I've been having issues since yesterday where any game I try and play crashes. For RDR2, it will run for a minute, CPU usage will reach 100% and then freeze/crash. It will pop-up with ERR_GFX_STATE. The same happens in Assassins Creed Valhalla and Tomb Raider, with different errors.
Cinebench works fine whenever i run a benchmark and the CPU will be at 100% on all cores and won't crash. AIDA64 also doesnt crash. Heaven works aswell although the last time i ran it, it crashed and gave me the error 'd3d11 app stereo:: swap window(): device removed' (or something very similar to this).
I ran memtest86 last night and it came back with 2 errors but the crashing persists whether I take one ram out or not. I also just tested with brand new RAM so we can rule the RAM out.
These issues first arised yesterday after updating my BIOS. I also played around undervolting my CPU after this and testing things out in cinebench with no issues. Unfortunately I did these things in quick succession so I cant be for sure if it was any of those things or whether it was just a hardware problem with unfortunate timing.
I reset the BIOS after noticing the crashes to no avail and the problems carried on persisting. I also am unable to flash back to a previous BIOS version.
Thanks in advance!

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080
  • SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
  • SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0C-00PXH0 2TB
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016)
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C16 2x8GB
  • MBD: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
  • PSU: 750w Corsair Gold

Last edited: