Question Games keep stuttering vsync cap to 60fps and keeps stuttering to 59fps 3080FE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2020
Hi Guys im in desperate need of you help before i give up and sell my PC and Buy a PS5

So i built myself a new PC and every game i try has fps dips and stutter/judder.

I originally had a itx build with a 1070 and everything worked great i have now built a full ATX build with the following specs.

3700x
3080 FE
MSI X570 Tomahawk
16GB Corsair 3600 Vengeance
Corsair RM850X Psu
WD Black M.2 500gb for OS
1TB SSD crucial 500 for games
2TB WD Blue for everything else

I game on my Oled TV so everthing needs to be vsync to 60fps or frame capped to stop screen tearing. Now my games used to run fine on my old machine but on my new machine im having issue with frames dropping to 59fps which is causing me stutters. Even sitting on a pause screen it is happening. I dont know if its a programme in the back ground doing it or not ive tried allsorts. Bar formatting everything and starting again.

Everything above is new bar 3700x, 1TB SSD, 2TB WD Blue.

I have new windows os installed onto the m.2 for os the 1tb ssd was fully formatted for use for my games only.
I have power performance on max, ive also tried DDU to remove drivers before the 3080 came and installed the new drivers.
Ive tried malware bytes incase it was a virus or malware
All my temps are fine cpu around 40 ish gpu max is 70

Heres a few youtube videos of my issue, its happening on all games HZD, Control, Resodent Evil 3, COD MW and im currently play the New COD Black ops Cold War and happening on that also thats what the 1st video is from

View: https://youtu.be/Sy14TaWpPm4

View: https://youtu.be/3JTIF-1DZjc

View: https://youtu.be/erkeVHBzwqo

Nov 16, 2020
From a power down and a reboot the games seem to be fine for 20 mins ish and then they start going dodgy again. What would be the best way to figure it out ? i have a spare 250gb Hard Drive, would disabling all my drives and doing just a windows install and drivers for my gpu and ryzen and then running some games help me out ? that would eliminate most of the things i have installed and then maybe becomes a component issue ?

Nov 16, 2020
I was playing HZD and after 20 mins it started to jump back down to 59fps so i open game bar to start recording it like i did with COD and then the fps went back to 60 and stayed there until i stopped recording once i stopped recording and carried on playing after a few mins it again kept jumping from 60 to 59 and causing judders :S is peeing me off lol

The 1st 20 mins was absolutely fine and then it just started happening.

Nov 16, 2020
ive still not managed to fix this you can see my stutter in the graph here

60fps to 59fps

FNFu6v.jpg

FNF5ap.jpg

Dec 3, 2020
Try turning off RAM XMP. Is it the same RAM used in the last system? I have a new recent build where the RAM XMP fails at 3200 (GEIL 2x16GB), causing GPU crashing in game but stock 2133mHz is fine.

Nov 16, 2020
Try turning off RAM XMP. Is it the same RAM used in the last system? I have a new recent build where the RAM XMP fails at 3200 (GEIL 2x16GB), causing GPU crashing in game but stock 2133mHz is fine.

Thanx for the reply

Unfortunately thats not the issue, i have tried my 3080 in another PC and unless that one is also faulty the 3080 is stuttering in that so i think its my 3080 causing me the issue

What resolution are you playing at?
The other system you tried, was it on the same TV?
Do you have the proper cable to connect gpu with tv or do you use adapters?
I would check tv for new firmware which is found on the manufacturer's website and NOT by searching from the TV's menu.
Latest BIOS of motherboard?
Latest windows?
Try just with one ram stick (try both one at a time) and see if you still have the stuttering.
How are the temps? Do you overclock anything?

Nov 16, 2020
What resolution are you playing at?
The other system you tried, was it on the same TV?
Do you have the proper cable to connect gpu with tv or do you use adapters?
I would check tv for new firmware which is found on the manufacturer's website and NOT by searching from the TV's menu.
Latest BIOS of motherboard?
Latest windows?
Try just with one ram stick (try both one at a time) and see if you still have the stuttering.
How are the temps? Do you overclock anything?

Thanx i may have found my issue see below

Nov 16, 2020
Well i THINK i might have found what my issue is.

Its the Vram !!

So i have only really played Control, Cod MW, Cod Blops CW and Horizon Zero Dawn and they have all been stuttering for me 60fps down to 59fps, randomly i must add and it was so annoying. Today i restarted a new play through Dying Light (which i love) and for the 3 hours i was on it it was perfect and im like well why isnt all my games like this.

So i googled Stutter in horizon zero dawn and the texture setting from medium to ultra maxes out the vram but msi afterburner only showed around 9.5gb usage on all settings so i dropped it to low where its doesnt max out the vram and drops it to 7gb and my 60fps to 59fps went and my fps went straight back to 60fps and didnt drop at all was smooth as butter. I tried cod black ops where it dropped and again the vram usage was 9.5gb so I dropped texture to high which didnt do anything at the time. Unbeknown to me it doesnt clear the vram unless you exit to main menu and then go back in and vram dropped to 8.5gb and the stutter was fixed.

Now Msi afterburner only shows you what you are using in game it doesnt show you what the total system vram usage is, in task manager it does and my system alone is using 1gb of vram so everytime my game is using 9.5gb of vram my total system is trying to use 10.5gb which it doesnt have. In Cod Bo Cold war in the mission Desperate measures its using alot of Vram in the game but the vram bar in the settings only show that my settings will use 7.5gb but actually msi afterburner is showing 9.5gb and with my system also using 0.800 to 1gb of vram for system its making it stutter.

Horizon at 1080p 1440p and 4k all max out the vram in medium to ultra so when i was changing resolution the vram was still maxed out. The same with cod unless i actually closed the game and reloaded it so i never thought it might have been a game issue.

So is 10gb vram good enough i dont know but why would my system be using 1gb of that vram whilst in game ?

Ive only tried those 2 games as ive finshed and uninstalled Control and Cod MW so havnt had a chance to try them but it looks like i might have found my issue.

@drivinfast247 Exactly what I thought.

To OP
Especially at 1080p you shouldn't even be near maxing vram. If your vram is almost always close to the max, something is wrong.

Try using DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

Nov 16, 2020
You're gonna have a couple members here argue against that discovery.
@drivinfast247 Exactly what I thought.

To OP
Especially at 1080p you shouldn't even be near maxing vram. If your vram is almost always close to the max, something is wrong.

Try using DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

It might not be just the game using all the vram something in the background starts using abit of vram too which then causes the stutter all i know is changing the textures fixes my issue as it drops the vram usage so not im trying to find out whats kicking it up whilst im gaming.

Ive already DDUd twice and ive also formatted my SSD and m.2 and also reinstalled windows. My gpu memory might be faulty i have no idea need to do more testing.

Il see how i get on when cyber punk is released as im sure thats going to be demanding

Status
Not open for further replies.