Question Games often crash. What troubleshooting can I do to help fix it?

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong area.

For years now, my computer has always crashed while playing games. I used to brush it off but over the years I've slowly become tired and dare I say it, even depressed over my computers ability to crash.

First the specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 35 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX (LGA1155) 29 °C
Graphics
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (Gigabyte) 57 °C
Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EACS-00ZJB0 (SATA ) 32 °C
0B SAMSUNG HD204UI (SATA )
931GB SAMSUNG HD103SI (SATA ) 24 °C
238GB M4-CT256M4SSD2 (SATA (SSD))
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
PSU
Unknown model, but it is a Corsair 1000W

I've had the occasional bluescreen when not gaming, some cases when the machine is idle, but the pattern seems clear.
Games while crash to desktop with little warning and only in rare cases display any error message.

When they do however, it is nearly always an "Access Violation" message. In come cases after the game crashes the system then bluescreens also.

Here is a folder of all the dump files I have on file.

Since the components are old, I even tried raising the CPU voltage (0.025 increase) this made no difference.

Some key points:

The motherboard, CPU and RAM has always been the same since I bought it back in 2012.
I've had at least 4 different graphics cards since then and games will crash like this with all of them.
BIOS is latest
All drivers updated using Snappy Drivers.
Adjusting graphics settings in game seemingly has no effect on the crashes.
Crashes will be total random. I can play a game for hours with no issue. In other cases 10 minutes could pass.
This has happened on multiple games, Battlefield series, Arma 3, FAR - Lone Sails, Rimworld, Minecraft (modded), Overwatch and many others I can't remember.

Full disclosure, I've yet to run a thorough memtest on the machine. I did do one about a year ago and everything passed then. I just honestly forget to run it before I shut down at night and I need the PC usable during the day. I will get around to doing it tonight.

I tried to use the "new" WinDbg preview on Win 10 but to be honest, I have no idea what I am looking for or at.
I've had this problem for so long is it part of my life now, but I pine to be able to play games without fear of seeing the desktop suddenly.

I don't have any spares to swap out memory etc. I guess in a weird way I want closure. To be able to point to something in my case and say, "that's the cause". I can then work on replacing it if required.
It really sucks the fun out of competative gameplay too. I can't play any games which are ranked or require you not to leave a game before it's over. Usually the game will crash and I get "punished" for leaving.

Really hoping some wizard can guide me into finding out what is going on.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/9rIO.html
File information:062919-10734-01.dmp (Jun 29 2019 - 11:33:12)
Bugcheck:BugCheck 1C7, {0, ffffb68c3163c000, 916649a8, 1ac137} (1C7)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: ?)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File information:062619-15046-01.dmp (Jun 26 2019 - 08:36:24)
Bugcheck:FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE (12B)
Probably caused by:?
Uptime:0 Day(s), 20 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File information:062519-10328-01.dmp (Jun 25 2019 - 12:33:22)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 39 Sec(s)

File information:061919-11656-01.dmp (Jun 19 2019 - 10:42:34)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 05 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

File information:061719-9468-01.dmp (Jun 17 2019 - 15:00:13)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 44 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8Z68V_LX/
You have the latest BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
DId you run memtest yet?

FAULTY_HARDWARE_CORRUPTED_PAGE Parameters
If parameters 3 and 4 are both zero, the bug check indicates that Memory Manager detected a single-bit error on a page that was expected to be zeroed. << this is what yours are

This bugcheck can only occur by memory corruption due to physical memory access. The causes for physical memory corruption include:

1. Defective RAM hardware
  2. A driver or device incorrectly modifying physical pages via an incorrect DMA operation or associated MDL.
  3. Corruption caused by a hardware device or firmware corrupting memory, such as firmware illegally modifying physical pages across a power transition. - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/wi...-check-0x12b---faulty-hardware-corrupted-page

All of the errors could be caused by RAM or drivers. though none of the drivers running stand out as obvious suspects.

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Thanks for the replies.
I will run a thorough memtest tonight. Is there a preferred software or mode or something to get the scan done right? Or just MemTest86 defaults?

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Well, I must say I'm disappointed. In the sense that the memtest I ran overnight found no errors. I was really hoping to be able to blame something.

Results:

Summary

Report Date2019-07-14 08:26:42
Generated byMemTest86 V8.2 Free (64-bit)
ResultPASS
System Information

EFI Specifications2.31
System
ManufacturerSystem manufacturer
Product NameSystem Product Name
VersionSystem Version
Serial NumberSystem Serial Number
BIOS
VendorAmerican Megatrends Inc.
Version4105
Release Date07/01/2013
Baseboard
ManufacturerASUSTeK Computer INC.
Product NameP8Z68-V LX
VersionRev X.0x
Serial NumberMT7017K46700045
CPU TypeIntel Core i7-2600K @ 3.40GHz
CPU Clock3411 MHz [Turbo: 3812.4 MHz]
# Logical Processors8 (4 enabled for testing)
L1 Cache4 x 64K (93167 MB/s)
L2 Cache4 x 256K (52082 MB/s)
L3 Cache8192K (27993 MB/s)
Memory16351M (16563 MB/s)
DIMM Slot #04GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
Corsair / CML8GX3M2A1600C9 / 000008F7
9-9-9-24 / 1600 MHz / 1.500V
DIMM Slot #14GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
Corsair / CML8GX3M2A1600C9 / 00000331
DIMM Slot #24GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
Corsair / CML8GX3M2A1600C9 / 000005A8
DIMM Slot #34GB DDR3 XMP PC3-12800
Corsair / CML8GX3M2A1600C9 / 000008EA
Result summary

Test Start Time2019-07-14 01:15:54
Elapsed Time3:49:30
Memory Range Tested0x0 - 41F000000 (16880MB)
CPU Selection ModeParallel (All CPUs)
ECC PollingEnabled
# Tests Passed48/48 (100%)
Test# Tests PassedErrors
Test 0 [Address test, walking ones, 1 CPU]4/4 (100%)0
Test 1 [Address test, own address, 1 CPU]4/4 (100%)0
Test 2 [Address test, own address]4/4 (100%)0
Test 3 [Moving inversions, ones & zeroes]4/4 (100%)0
Test 4 [Moving inversions, 8-bit pattern]4/4 (100%)0
Test 5 [Moving inversions, random pattern]4/4 (100%)0
Test 6 [Block move, 64-byte blocks]4/4 (100%)0
Test 7 [Moving inversions, 32-bit pattern]4/4 (100%)0
Test 8 [Random number sequence]4/4 (100%)0
Test 9 [Modulo 20, ones & zeros]4/4 (100%)0
Test 10 [Bit fade test, 2 patterns, 1 CPU]4/4 (100%)0
Test 13 [Hammer test]4/4 (100%)0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Should have run ram tests on 1 stick at a time, not all 4 at once. If you had an error, you wouldn't have known which stick was cause.

None of the drivers running stand out as being reason for the errors,

1st error code 1c7 is new, I have only seen it a few times in last year. not entirely sure what it is yet. debugger doesn't know it still. It seems to show up with memory problems.

Seems its name is: STORE_DATA_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...-check-0x1c7--store-data-structure-corruption

The store component detected a corruption in its data structures.

This bugcheck can occur by memory corruption due to physical memory access. The causes for physical memory corruption include:

2. A driver or device incorrectly modifying physical pages via an incorrect DMA operation or associated MDL.
  3. Corruption caused by a hardware device or firmware corrupting memory, such as firmware illegally modifying physical pages across a power transition.
ram again?

try this:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

another suggested fix from microsoft is a repair install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

Last edited:

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I ran that test on the SSD (which is just as old at the main components, 7/8 years). No issues found.
If I were to guess, I would point a finger at the motherboard, if motherboards can even cause these kinds of errors when gaming.
The USB ports on this motherboard have barely worked. USB 3 has never worked and on the back of the board, only 2 of the 4 USB ports work. I constantly get device malfunctioned errors when using the front IO as well. Again, I've gotten used to it. I use a USB hub for most components and just have to keep trying each of the 4 front IO until it doesn't error.

Might be completely unrelated but I feel this motherboard is causing errors.
Finding replacement boards are tricky and not cheap (in my experience). It's also a punt as if it doesn't fix my issue, I've wasted money.
I fear this is going to be one of those problems where no one can ever know what it is and there is no fix, it is just "how it is".

Colif

Win 11 Master
Top 2 errors more or less have same causes

3. Corruption caused by a hardware device or firmware corrupting memory, such as firmware illegally modifying physical pages across a power transition.
Memory management can be both memory or drivers, so can the other 2,

impossible to test motherboard, all you can do is test everything else works and through a process of elimination, reduce the blame till all you have left is motherboard and PSU (2 hardest things to test).

things that can corrupt data:
ram
storage drives - test them all out.
CPU - try running this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool
PSU
motherboard

probably in that order... i only put motherboard on end as I guess it could, I can't say I seen it happen but maybe.
PSU on there as inconsistent power can cause all sorts of problems.

other cause is old age. PC isn't getting any younger, could be that motherboard that doesn't seem to work properly. It could be your 2013 bios not knowing what new device drivers want it to do.

can try doing what 2nd post here suggests to see if it is a driver - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Thanks. The Intel test passed.
So I tried verifier. However it does grind the machine to a halt, can't do anything while it is active.
Is this something which is best left to idle overnight? Or do I need to push it until it breaks?

Colif

Win 11 Master
You shouldn't have to do anything, if it finds no driver problems, and PC just runs slow for a few hours, you might not have any bad drivers and the problem is hardware. Turn it off after a few hours if it doesn't bsod on its own. as that is its job... test drivers.

can run at night if you wish

Try testing the drive the games are on.

Colif

Win 11 Master
how much free space on ssd? seems Store Data Structure Corruption can be caused by low amount of free space on drive. It can be caused by a virus as well. It appears the store it refers to is the driver store. So hope you bsod as well :)

Last edited:

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
Well, the frustration is growing.

I've ran memtest, all clear
Nothing in event viewer of note.
All HDs scanned and checks passed and main drive has plenty of space.
Increased CPU Vcore
Even going so far as to disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP).
Ran games as admin, Games still crashed

The only pattern I have is every single game that crashes, reports in some form or another (in its own log files) that it crashed due to EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION.
I've Googled for hours to solve this and tried everything I can. Many things point to the memory, but memtest was a pass.

As I've mentioned previously, I think it will be a case that the only fix is to bin this POS a buy a new PC. But since I can't do that right now, I was literally praying for a solution.

X_E_N

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015
I feel I am making some progress, I hope.

I ran memtesk HCI last night. I ran multiple copies scanning about 3gb each.

When I woke up, I was greeted to this:
84soTLu.png

Since I have 4 x 4GB sticks and since I could only test 3gb at a time, looking at the image above, at least 3/4 of my RAM is bad?

Annoying how memtest86 found no errors and this application found multiple.
Have I missed something?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't like going in blind.... what I mean is, I could suggest you buy new RAM or I could go with the way I like, safe... I would get PC tested by a store, they can swap new ram in and see if you still get bsod. I don't like telling people to spend money blindly. You could replace ram and still have same problem, so its why I offered safe suggestion :)

All errors point at ram except memtest86, so good chance it is.