[SOLVED] Games seems to be stuck at 40 fps on an MSI gl63

Kim_24

Honorable
Apr 25, 2016
I recently encountered a problem with my laptop wherein, games seems to be stuck at 40 fps for no reason. This is the first time that I've encountered such problem. My friend said that I might have changed the settings of each game, capping the fps to 40 but, I swear that I've never changed any settings even on my laptop's settings.

Specs:

RTX 2070
24 gb ram
I7- 8th gen
60hz monitor

Solution
If it's all games that never exceed 40 fps, then I would think it's a system setting rather than a game setting. I have seen system settings that would do this, although they usually have a higher default (60fps).

You say this is on a laptop ... I wonder if it's some kind of battery saver or something.

If the cap is exactly 40, then I would think it's a software setting (FPS is always 40 or less).

If the cap is around 40, then I would think it's more a hardware setting/throttling (ie, don't exceed 100 Watts).
If it's all games that never exceed 40 fps, then I would think it's a system setting rather than a game setting. I have seen system settings that would do this, although they usually have a higher default (60fps).

You say this is on a laptop ... I wonder if it's some kind of battery saver or something.

If the cap is exactly 40, then I would think it's a software setting (FPS is always 40 or less).

If the cap is around 40, then I would think it's more a hardware setting/throttling (ie, don't exceed 100 Watts).

Solution