Discussion Gaming PC Build Advice Please!

RyanTaylorrz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012
So upon deciding to upgrade my CPU, I quickly realised I need to upgrade my motherboard & subsequently build an entire new PC (with a few of parts carried over from my current build). As an absolute novice, I figured it'd be easier to ask you lovely lot a series of questions or receive recommendations regarding what I should consider & which parts would best suit my new build. My budget isn't exactly bottomless, so I'm trying to spend as little money as possible, whilst future-proofing my new build to withstand more expensive upgrades in the future.

My current motherboard has an AM3+ CPU socket, so that needs upgrading to a board with AM4. Considering all AM4 socket-type motherboards also have DDR4 RAM, I need to replace my current DDR3 sticks as well. My main target for a new CPU is the AMD Ryzen 5 3600. I know this isn't the best in the Ryzen range, but considering the other parts I need to purchase, it seems to have the best value-for-money.

I found a deal online where you can order the CPU pre-installed on a Asus B450M-K motherboard. They also offer to include 2 sticks of Hyper X FURY 8GB RAM for an additional cost (I'm currently running this exact model but in DDR3). The total price of this package deal is £267. Here's the link:
https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-...Te5tpcSRe2zLRxGTRHKlfWuRMR0X9YFkaAjuJEALw_wcB

This seems like a pretty good deal to me since installing a new CPU to a motherboard seems pretty finicky, so I'd rather pay a professional to do it. I have a cooler on my current CPU to replace the disgustingly loud stock fans they tend to come with, so that isn't an issue. Do let me know if there's anything off about this deal or provider that I should know about, since I've never heard of or bought from them before.

I have a XFX Pro 750W PSU in my current machine. Considering I also plan to carry over my Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (until I can upgrade it), do you think this power supply would cover the costs? If any other parts are required to asses the power usage of my new build, do ask!

I also have no idea where to begin looking for a decent case to house all of this. I don't care about fancy lights or anything, just that it's functional and allows for plenty of room for storage & part upgrades. If anyone has any suggestions that fit this criteria, I'd be very grateful!

So, TLDR:
  1. Any good PC case suggestions?
  2. Does the CPU+Motherboard deal seem reasonably priced & legit? (Is the Motherboard future-proof enough?)
  3. Will my current power supply be good enough?
  4. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks a lot! :love:

RyanTaylorrz

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2012

g-unit1111

Titan
So, TLDR:
  1. Any good PC case suggestions?
  2. Does the CPU+Motherboard deal seem reasonably priced & legit? (Is the Motherboard future-proof enough?)
  3. Will my current power supply be good enough?
  4. Is there anything else I should consider?
Thanks a lot! :love:

1. These are usually my go-to cases:

2. Yes, the B450 should last you through to the Ryzen 4 series, and possibly the 5 series.

3. Should be but I would question the age of it. Since your current GPU is a 970 that I am guessing is probably 2014 - 2015, which would mean that your PSU is definitely aging. You probably should look at getting it replaced.

4. You will definitely need new RAM since your current RAM won't carry over to your new rig. You need at least DDR4-3200. Preferably Samsung B-Die (like G Skill Trident Z) but HK Hynix is fine too (Corsair Vengeance / Dominator).