jordan009

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
well yesterday i somehow got malware on my computer (anti malware doctor) so without knowing i needed to go into safe mode i downloaded anti malware bytes and did a scan and removed the malware after i restarted it my computer will not load windows at all. and i cant select safe mode or choose last good config because of my keyboard (g15)

so here's what i was thinking i could do

1.format the HD with another computer and reinstall XP

2.run a virus scan and remove the malware with another computer
(all done by putting the gaming pc's HD in another computer)

i need help so would any of these soultions work?

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Option 1 can be done on your computer as the XP install process will ask if you want to format the disk

Option 2 may work but your operating system will have got infected so scanning this disk by putting it into another computer is not likely to remove the infection and may put the other PC in danger

What are you seeing when you try to chose Safe Mode ?
You could try to repair your XP installation http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
If you don't have anything important on the disk I would definitely go for the rebuild

If you do have important data you can always install a 2nd copy of XP to a different folder on the disk, boot that one (the o/s will be clean) and then copy stuff to a USB stick.

good luck and let me know if you have any issues.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

If you are unable to control your system with a USB keyboard, I'd probably have tried to plug in a PS/2 Keyboard, or maybe if you have an USB->PS/2 adapter available, not quite sure although.

Good luck! :)

There is an option in the advanced boot menu. It's the same place you can choose to boot into safe mode. Choose safe mode with command prompt, and hopefully it will load a black DOS prompt screen in a desktop type window. If it does, you'll see the C:\ prompt. We can try running a system restore from that.