vfdolozo

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
My current setup is connected via ethernet to the router that came with the service installation. The download and upload speeds are very good, however my issue is latency. Average gaming ping is in the high 200s.I just want a router that can take advantage of the speeds while reducing latency, since I don't know much about them

Some of the popular routers I've read about are the
NETGEAR XR450 Nighthawk Pro
Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000
Asus RT-AX88U

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Solution
A gaming router is all marketing to get people to buy things that do nothing for most people.

You can not affect the latency between you a game server. This is mostly a function of distance and other overhead in the network that only the ISP can do anything about.

A so called "gaming" router can try to favor game traffic BUT this is only within your house. It assumes you have a issue with not enough bandwidth for your devices. So if someone in your house is uploading huge files and using up all the bandwidth this software can help. Many other router has QoS function that can do the same thing. These so called gaming routers have been pre configured to recognize some games.

It does absolutely nothing if you do not already...
A gaming router is all marketing to get people to buy things that do nothing for most people.

You can not affect the latency between you a game server. This is mostly a function of distance and other overhead in the network that only the ISP can do anything about.

A so called "gaming" router can try to favor game traffic BUT this is only within your house. It assumes you have a issue with not enough bandwidth for your devices. So if someone in your house is uploading huge files and using up all the bandwidth this software can help. Many other router has QoS function that can do the same thing. These so called gaming routers have been pre configured to recognize some games.

It does absolutely nothing if you do not already have a over utilized internet connection. In many cases the overhead of just looking at your data can cap your data rates especially if you have a very fast connection.

Bottom line don't get conned by the marketing guys be a educated consumer.

Reactions: SamirD and vfdolozo
Solution
+1 to the above. The best thing you can do to your gaming setup is getting it wired to your router to exclude the wifi part (that alone is a handful of ms each way and possible radio congestion between you and your neighbor's wifi). The rest is mostly dependent on your ISP and your other internet traffic.
On the wired part anything recent should cost around 70$ and do fine.

Reactions: vfdolozo