Gateway sx2800 to be moved to antec 300 case

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Good day all. I wanted to know if I can move the insides of my SX2800 pc to a Antec 300 case. My main reason being my video card (HD4650) gets hot 82deg when playing games. I would also like to upgrade my psu. My question is would this fit? Has anyone ever tried moving the insides of this pc to another case? Any tips on choosing the type of PSU and any tips or problems I might encounter doing this? Thank you very much any help would be greatly appreciated.

The antec 300 and 900 (on sale for $89 shipped at newegg with promo code- ends today) will both take any standard atx or micro atx motherboard and any atx power supply. The 900 is superior for it's multitude of fans, but the 300 will be adequate. Newegg has a corsair 400w ps for $30 after rebate, last time I checked. It will work fine with your 4650. Don't buy a cheaper ps just because it claims to have a higher wattage. Corsair, antec, ocz, enermax, seasonic, and pc power and cooling don't overate their power supplies at full load. Before moving stuff out, make a diagram, especially of the case connections to the led lights and power switch. The main power supply connections are the same on all power supplies, and the corsair should have the 6 pin pci-e connector if your video card uses it. I just moved all my compaq stuff to a different case recently; It's not hard, but take your time and don't forget to install any hardrive rails if required for cases that use them. And be sure to install the motherboard backplate flush, and remove any extra case standoffs that touch circuitry and don't line up with a hole on the board. You only need to use 4-6 standoffs to mount the motherboard. Standoffs are 1/4 inch brass or silver colored that screw into the case under the board.

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Thank you so much for the reply o1die this is my first time to do this. Another question I had was how do i know which standoffs are need for a matx mobo. Is there a diagram on the case? Just a quick heads up to anyone intrested microcenter has the antec 300 for 47 dollars so I'm leaning towards that.

All you need is 4-6 standoffs to mount the board. Any leftover ones that touch circuitry can be removed with pliers; some cases have them preinstalled. Some boards have 9 mounting holes; the back ones that are next to the edge of the board and drives can be left open. Just be sure the backplate is flat, and any ports covered have the excess metal bent out of the way so there is no interferance when you plug in your devices. You will have some leftover power supplies connectors, so don't try to use them all. Make a diagram if necessary as you disconnect everything from your board so you know which ps connectors your board uses.

rgieg

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009

Oldie I just moved everything yesterday and it works great everything. I didnt take note of your suggestion and make a diagram (wrong move) everything its in working order but some case led connectors I dunno where to put I did get the power going. Any idea which led case connectors go where is there a general rule? the motherboard does not have markings on them. thanks

neroburner

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hey, I'm about to do the same too. I bought a HD 5570 but it goes all the way up to 80C with the cover off while under load! I have a question regarding the front ports on the sx2802-03. I'm quite the computer newb and I was wondering how these ports on the front( firewire, usb, multicard reader, mic and audio) will be transferred to the antec 300 case.

snx

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
I have a question about this if anyone can help me out. If I move my SX2800 to a new case will I keep all the USB and other ports on the back. Also, which cases are compatible other than the Antec 300, thanks.