Geforce FX 6600GT new driver problem

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Hi!

This is my first post here so I might start to say that Im not a genious when it comes to hardware problems... Ok here we go:

I replaced my Geforce 4 AGP card with a new FX 6600GT AGP recently and everything went well with the installation, but when I installed and played Rome total war the game crashes to windows after a while and when starting Battlefield 2 the computer reboots. So I figured I should update the graphics driver, so I downloaded the latest forceware from Nvidia and installed it, after installing I reboot but just after the Windows XP logo startup screen it doesnt get any further, the screen is just black!! So with the drivers included on the Geforce CD ( 7.xxx ) all works fine except the games mentioned, and perhaps other "newer" games, and with the new drivers ( 8.xxx ) windows wont start at all.

Would be thankful for any suggestions :)

Thanx!

gui_m

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
hey. Did you plug-in the extra power connector for the Graphics Card? Those are the errors I got when I forgot to do it....

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Hi!

Yes the power plug is connected. I play for example Thief 3 perfectly with the drivers that came with the card, but BF2 wont start, so Im thinking if there is a graphics driver issue or something else, like power supply, but then it wouldnt start windows even with the old drivers either, so Im confused... :p
With the new drivers installed I started windows XP ( home edition ) in "last workable setup" and then the device manager displays the new driver version, but the Nvidia screen displays the old one still.

I will try to download some archived drivers from Nvidia that are just a bit newer that the ones on the CD, and I also downloaded drivers from ASUS to try, and Driver Cleaner just to be sure all old drivers are removed.

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Ok my specs are:

Double AMD Athlon MP 1900+, MMX, 3DNOW, 1.6ghz

Phoenix Bios 4.0

2048mb RAM

Latest Direct X version, 9.0c I think, sorry I cant remember now...

I checked the temperature in the NVIDIA setup and it was around 45 Celsius for the Graphics card and around 32 Celsius for allround temperature.

Its risky but try uninstalling the old nvidia drivers first, and then installing the new ones.

You need to get into safe mode to do it and uninstall from there I believe.

Its worth a try, and at least it could get you back to a consistent version of the drivers and a working windows system from which to try to solve the problem further.

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Yes, I did uninstall the drivers in safe mode, and installed the new ones, and the same when I installed the old ones again. Yesterday I installed a NVIDIA 78.01 driver which is newer than the one provided on the original CD and the computer starts normally, though BF2 still doesnt start.

Maybe I should try to flash my motherboard BIOS?

how out of date is your Mobo bios? it might be worth it.

Have you installed the AGP drivers that came with the Mobo? This might do something, but you'd probably see it in slowness rather than crashing.

Your graphics card actually sounds a bit cool at 45C my 6600GT is sitting at 60C most of the time, and gets up to 75 ish when gaming. I seem to recall that 6600GT's were unstable when underclocked? (might tie in with the AGP drivers if not installed?, and the temp also might be indicative of this, although it could be that the FX cooling system is very good, but I've only heard figures of low 50's before)

I really am guessing now, perhaps BF2 does not like dual processor (not dual core) systems?

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Ok, thanx for the info.

I uninstalled all nvidia and Asus drivers yesterday with DriverCleaner, and reinstalled battlefield 2 and upgraded it, and to be sure I installed the Nvidia drivers on the BF2 CD, but it still reboots my computer, either when I start the game or when I try to start a mission. Some people on other forums with similar problems are talking about lack of power from the power unit, might that be a solution? I have 300 watt right now.

PSU could be at fault (would also account for low temps) if the card is making itself safe (I trialled a Gigabyte with the heat pipes, and forgot to plug the power in, it went into a restricted-speed safe mode) and then point blank refused to work a 4xAGP, had to buy a new Mobo :oops:

Given that a single CPU system with a 6600GT is meant to be borderline at 300W, it is possible and probable that a dual CPU system would use significantly more power.

What can you unplug?

Can you remove excess HD / CDrom, are you running your monitor through your PSU? can you disable the sound card? although I think only the monitor would really be a big enough drain.

Can you run fanspeed or something to monitor voltages, and log them, and see if you get a voltage dip, this would be the sign of the card trying to draw more and pulling the rest of the system with it.

Do you know anyone with a spare PSU? do you know a shop with a decent returns policy :wink: so that you can buy and try and then return if need be. Personally I'm running 435W (enermax) with a 3200+ barton, and the 6600GT, 2hd's 2CD's, and if I use the wrong molexs, i.e. a non-dedicated one to the card it 'misbehaves' and cd drives don't initialise etc.

Hope this helps.

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Thanx very much for the suggestions!!

Yesterday I bought a new PSU, a Hiper 480w, but no difference, I got a reboot when starting BF2, then I unplugged one of my CDroms and Floppydrive and one of my Harddrives, so it was just Graphics card one Harddrive and DVDrom running, I got into the game ( like I do 1 of 5 times ) and when starting a level it started to load which didnt happen before, but the after some % it rebooted again, so I start to wonder either if I have to change to another graphics card or if there is some conflict or software issue.

If I unplug the power to the 6600gt windows allerts me that the 6600gt is running on lower effect, and the temp was like around 43 yesterday when in Windows mode.

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I called the shop today, and Im going there to give back the card and hopefully get a new one to try... Thanx again for the suggestions.

how about trying 3dmark05 just to test the graphics side of the card.

Hope the new card works, post results let us know how you get on, and if you see 13thmonkey on the red team, try to kill me too often.

Steve J

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I dont know how picky BF2 is but I do know it wont run on anything less than the specs stated. Look below next to the red.
Just a shot in the dark but try overclocking to 1.7Ghz and see if it works.
I tried playing BF2 on a 1Ghz CPU 1gig ram and a 6600gt and it got to the splash screen then restarted.

System Requirements
=====================================

- Operating System
Windows XP (32 Bit Version)

- CPU
Battlefield 2 supports the following processors:
Intel Pentium 4
Intel Xeon
Intel Pentium Extreme Edition
Intel Celeron D
AMD Athlon XP
AMD Athlon 64
AMD Athlon 64-FX
AMD Sempron processor

- Minimum Specification:
CPU: 1.7 Ghz (this looks like it may be the problem)
RAM: 512 Mb
Video Card: NVidia GeForce FX 5700, ATI Radeon 8500 or ATI Radeon 9500
with 128 Mb of RAM

- Recommended Specification:
CPU: 2.4 Ghz
RAM: 1 Gb
Video Card with at least 256 Mb of RAM

- Video Cards
Battlefield 2 only supports the following video cards:
Radeon X700 (PCIe)
Radeon X600 (PCIe)
GeForce 6600 (PCIe)
GeForce PCX 5900 (PCIe)
GeForce 5800 Series (AGP)
ATI Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition
ATI Radeon X800 PRO
ATI Radeon 9800 Series
ATI Radeon 9600 Series
ATI Radeon 9550 (RV350LX)
ATI Radeon 9500 / 9700 Series
ATI Radeon 8500 Series
ATI Radeon X300 Series
NVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra
NVidia GeForce 6800 GT
NVidia GeForce 6800
NVidia GeForce FX 5950 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Series
NVidia GeForce FX 5700 Series

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Hi and thanx for the reply, I think I actually have more than 1.6 ghz because I have double Athlon 1900+, actually I dont know why it says 1.6ghz in dxdiag but I hope thats something else??

Best Regards.

Vascular

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I realize you have two cpu's but if BF2 does not see the minimum specs it kicks out. 1.6Ghz is the clock speed of your processor, the 1900+ is a performance rating created by AMD.

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Hmm yes thats true, but I thought it is 2 times 1.6ghz... I tried to install new beta drivers from Nvidia that should fix a compability problem with their drivers and " processor machines, but I still get a freeze after XP splash screen... so my solution now is to go with the old drivers and not playing BF2

doepfer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
thanx, I will give it a try, I think my new PSU should be fine ( 480w ), I read on other forums that people have problems with new NVIDIA drivers and dual processors, but as I cant play BF2 with the old ones there are two problems

linux_0

Splendid
thanx, I will give it a try, I think my new PSU should be fine ( 480w ), I read on other forums that people have problems with new NVIDIA drivers and dual processors, but as I cant play BF2 with the old ones there are two problems

Yes it's possible the latest build is buggy... if they are aware of the problem which they probably are -- I'd say they should have a fix out in a few days.

You have more than enough RAM so BF2 should still run. Do you have all the latest patches for Rome total war and BF2 btw?

Several of my games crash to the desktop ALL the time on an otherwise rock solid dual boot box... sometimes it's the game sometimes the OS... sometimes the hardware or a strange combination thereof -- that's life.

Good Luck!

Semper Fi Linux on!

Neuro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004
i have problem with 6600 GT too..i played BF2 with no error & artefac (high quality with no AA & Medium Quality with 2 AA).....but then when i play NFS Most wanted & Call of duty 2...it started to shows artefact & crashes (restart automaticly)

my system is:

450 wat Enlight (12V=15amp)
Albatron kx600 pro (kt600 via)
Barton 2800
mem 512 mb
2 harddisk
2 harddrive
2 fan

Kelpfarmer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
I have a very similar problem to Neuro, when playing games such as CS:S I get graphical artifacts after about 30 min of play, then the system crashes.

my system is

DFI Lanparty NF2 Ultra (revision A)
Barton 2800+
450W PSU
1024 mb Ram
1 HD
1 Optical drive
2 Fans
BFG 6600gt AGP8x connected on a dedicated 12v rail

I then contacted BFG with my problem and received this reply yesterday

>How many amps do you have on your +12v rail? You should have 18+
>amps or it could give you this type of trouble. Also, what temperatures
>are you seeing on your graphics card during game play? What about
>right before the crash?

>Thank you,
>Chris G
>BFG Support

As I am fairly sure that the cards temperatures don't get too high and I assumed that all 12v rails would be rated at the same Ampage I havent followed it up just yet - but as your PSU 12V rail is rated at 15A perhaps this is the cause of your problem!

Can anyone verify that PSU's with 18 amp 12v rails actually exist?

linux_0

Splendid
Aye insufficient or unclean power and overheating are the most common problems.

Especially if you are seeing artifacts.

Did you overclock the card? Is it a factory OC?

Even if you didn't OC your card may still be overheating at stock if not properly cooled.

Semper Fi Linux on! :D