GeForce GTX 295 In Quad-SLI

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

faridakoi

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Really important question, how the hell did they get a quad sli with an 850W PSU? I can see it has a lot on the 12v rail, but how did they manage to overclock the i7 then? I'm looking to have the same set up (i.e. 295 sli in the future) but am buying a PSU now, and my limited knowledge confused the hell out of me. What amps should I be looking for and wattage? Any help will be VERY valuable. Thanks.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]faridakoi[/nom]Really important question, how the hell did they get a quad sli with an 850W PSU? I can see it has a lot on the 12v rail, but how did they manage to overclock the i7 then? I'm looking to have the same set up (i.e. 295 sli in the future) but am buying a PSU now, and my limited knowledge confused the hell out of me. What amps should I be looking for and wattage? Any help will be VERY valuable. Thanks.[/citation]

See this chart:Power Consumption

hey, the GTX 895 in SLI system only takes 600W.

ImmortalJman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Great review it was just what I was looking for in comparisons.

For those of you complaining about the high end need for gamers,... it's there for the bragging rights for one, and two it's smoother and garuantees the ability to play at higher resolutions without having to turn on the AF or AA.

For those of you complaining about the single card solution and how it needs to be the priority... yeah those days are gone. They're great for some high resolutions but not all the eye candy and multiple card/GPU solutions make it easier to create better in game effects, thus giving game developers room to spread.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]See this chart:power Consumptionhey, the GTX 895 in SLI system only takes 600W.[/citation]

Heheh, yeh it's really funny because when the two disimilarly-clocked cards didn't want to work together, NVIDIA blamed power. You can argue with them until your face turns blue and it won't do you any good. Sometimes you simply must find the problem yourself.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Great article, i like the thought of a upcommin g memory shoot-out. will definatly be watching for it. If i may make a request, could you include the G-skill ddr3 1600 cas 8 in the upcomming article. i have used a few different sets of ram myself and i can tell you that the ocz ddr3 1333 is very good and fast. however the g-skill ddr3 1600 i also used is even better and has a cas 8. i ran it at ddr3 1320 at cas 6 with 1.56~1.58voltswith no problems, on a ex58-ds4 gigabyte motherboard. and i could more then likely run ddr3 1640 at cas 7. have yet to try so far though. but from doing some reading and stuff i believe the G-skill out performs the corsair dominator ddr3 1600, in my opinion.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]ps. I'd get the hdtv, cause it's cheaper.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Me too! But only because it's too hard to see any detail on a 30" display from twelve feet away. I'd rather be hanging out than sitting at this desk![/citation]
Haters, all of you! Everyone has a HDTV!

werepossum

Distinguished
May 12, 2007
The problem with all these solutions is that Algore will lead a mob of pitchfork-wielding angry villagers to your home and tell them you are manbearpig, leaving you to be pitchforked to death whilst he flies away in his private jet, safe in the knowledge that he's once again personally saved the planet.

Frankly, it's just not worth the risk.

dsinc72

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Your eye actually sees around 30 fps; if something plays at a steady 30fps, it will looks "smooth" to you. The reason people like cards with high framerates are: 1) The higher the avg. fps, the less likely the game will dip below 30fps during intense graphics areas, thus maintaining the smoothness, and 2) Some people (a lot of folks on boards like this, heh) just like to have the biggest, fastest card out...it doesn't matter that they could get by with a cheaper card, they want the new one! Buy what you want, or buy what you need...as long as everyone is happy with the system they are playing with, who cares? =D

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]dsinc72[/nom]Your eye actually sees around 30 fps; if something plays at a steady 30fps, it will looks "smooth" to you. The reason people like cards with high framerates are: 1) The higher the avg. fps, the less likely the game will dip below 30fps during intense graphics areas, thus maintaining the smoothness, and 2) Some people (a lot of folks on boards like this, heh) just like to have the biggest, fastest card out...it doesn't matter that they could get by with a cheaper card, they want the new one! Buy what you want, or buy what you need...as long as everyone is happy with the system they are playing with, who cares? =D[/citation]
That is not entirely correct. It doesn't matter what your eyes can "see", because your brain is involved too. Play at a constant 30FPS, then a constant 60FPS, and tell me you can't notice the difference in smoothness. It's there, even if you can't "see" it.

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
how to start this for you?
first of all i want to tell that ! the war of FPS is just marketing ...
1. the human eye can see a lot of frames ...there are no limit for human eye 1 fps ,60 fps ,4000 fps the eyes don't see in fps,the problem is in brain ...how many frames understand? but when you create a movie or a game you create this movie or game from fragments,for now humans don't know how to create different
this FPS definition was born with movies ...so to be short ...when a movie is playing... it,s enough above 18 fps ....
the secret is how to optimize this games or movies, so :
there are games Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, red alert 3 which has 30 fps max ...to create a motion fluid
there are games who need more than 30 fps for fluidity
if the game has very complex images, effects etc they need more than 30 fps
the games creators adds blur, lighting effects ,etc to make the game smoother ..if this effects does not exist in this games ,they need more fps
there are one more problem which gamers don't count it ....the display
refresh rate .this refresh rate is actually how many fps they display
if the refresh rate is 60hz ...60fps they maximum display ,if is 75 hz ..75 fps ....in other words ...if you have quad sli gtx mega,ultra 295
or a super-ultra ati 4870 x2 in crossfire and a display is set at 75 hz you will see just 75 fps ...now you thinking ....this man is stupid...or what the f... i just throw 2000 euros !
no man ...this are the facts :
there are motions or movies in this games who need 60fps or 18 fps ,depends on the complexity of the images ,there are no games who needs more then 60-80 fps,but don't forget !not the whole game need that much fps, just a few seconds ,many times less than a second ....
in my opinion the best gpu is the gpu that has fps constantly ,and the low fps higher
what i told you until now ,are no secrets you can find it over the internet ,you can talk with a lot of people who work in medical,movies etc environment

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sohei[/nom]how to start this for you?first of all i want to tell that ! the war of FPS is just marketing ...1. the human eye can see a lot of frames ...there are no limit for human eye 1 fps ,60 fps ,4000 fps the eyes don't see in fps,the problem is in brain ...how many frames understand? but when you create a movie or a game you create this movie or game from fragments,for now humans don't know how to create differentthis FPS definition was born with movies ...so to be short ...when a movie is playing... it,s enough above 18 fps ....the secret is how to optimize this games or movies, so :there are games Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, red alert 3 which has 30 fps max ...to create a motion fluidthere are games who need more than 30 fps for fluidity if the game has very complex images, effects etc they need more than 30 fps the games creators adds blur, lighting effects ,etc to make the game smoother ..if this effects does not exist in this games ,they need more fpsthere are one more problem which gamers don't count it ....the displayrefresh rate .this refresh rate is actually how many fps they display if the refresh rate is 60hz ...60fps they maximum display ,if is 75 hz ..75 fps ....in other words ...if you have quad sli gtx mega,ultra 295or a super-ultra ati 4870 x2 in crossfire and a display is set at 75 hz you will see just 75 fps ...now you thinking ....this man is stupid...or what the f... i just throw 2000 euros !no man ...this are the facts :there are motions or movies in this games who need 60fps or 18 fps ,depends on the complexity of the images ,there are no games who needs more then 60-80 fps,but don't forget !not the whole game need that much fps, just a few seconds ,many times less than a second ....in my opinion the best gpu is the gpu that has fps constantly ,and the low fps higher, what i told you until now ,are no secrets you can find it over the internet ,you can talk with a lot of people who work in medical,movies etc environment[/citation]
conclusion ...90% and more you don't need more than 25 fps, few seconds an average of 60 fps .
and the games creators will never create games that your brain don't understand...and we all now that people understands cinema movies

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sohei[/nom]conclusion ...90% and more you don't need more than 25 fps, few seconds an average of 60 fps .and the games creators will never create games that your brain don't understand...and we all now that people understands cinema movies
so above 75 fps any videocard is king ,and remains 1 thing who is the cheapest king?

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]sohei[/nom]red alert 3 which has 30 fps max ...to create a motion fluid[/citation]
That's not entirely correct. All Command & Conquer games base game time off framerate, so as the framerate drops, the game actually slows down, and as it speeds up, it goes faster. At 60FPS, C&C games would tick by at 2 seconds in game for every 1 second of real time. They could have done it so that 60FPS ran 1:1 with real time, but people with slower computers would be running around 30FPS and then the game would be running at 1 second in game for every 2 seconds in real life.

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
if you take 5 words from my comment ...of course is not right ,,,," the secret is how to optimize this games or movies, so :there are games Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, red alert 3 which has 30 fps max ..."
i talk about optimization ....
the motions in red 3 are optimized even for 30 fps ...got it?
anyway 10x for replay

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i don't know what you mean by optimize but i think many of us already know what you're trying to say.
we know that in slow action games like real time strategy or role playing games, around 25-30 FPS will suffice,
yet fast action games like first person shooters like quake, unreal tournament, or crysis requires more than that.

if it doesn't enlighten you, try run and observe 3D benchmarks in your pc and see for yourself.

[citation][nom]sohei[/nom]if you take 5 words from my comment ...of course is not right ,,,," the secret is how to optimize this games or movies, so :there are games Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, red alert 3 which has 30 fps max ..."i talk about optimization ....the motions in red 3 are optimized even for 30 fps ...got it?anyway 10x for replay[/citation]

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
zodiacfml wow!
man ...what i meant to say...again... is not about the game type rts,fps etc ...it's about how they create the game
you can create a game who runs with 200 fps on 8800 gt ,with superb graphics and effects and you can create a game who runs with 60 fps also with superb graphics and effects....this is optimization
it's about how you can manage the strenght of a videocard ....
of course many create games for nvidia or ati ...and we pay more for that ...how? very simple they sign a contract ...and from nowhere appear a gpu 30 % faster than other gpu with same computing power...and they say ...we have a 30% faster gpu but is with 20% expensive.
and the consumers say: ooo that's ok let's buy it.
it's happened to many times with this corporation
so you are fan? or a man who pop out money from pocket ?
and this is optimization

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sohei[/nom]zodiacfml wow! man ...what i meant to say...again... is not about the game type rts,fps etc ...it's about how they create the game you can create a game who runs with 200 fps on 8800 gt ,with superb graphics and effects and you can create a game who runs with 60 fps also with superb graphics and effects....this is optimization it's about how you can manage the strenght of a videocard ....of course many create games for nvidia or ati ...and we pay more for that ...how? very simple they sign a contract ...and from nowhere appear a gpu 30 % faster than other gpu with same computing power...and they say ...we have a 30% faster gpu but is with 20% expensive.and the consumers say: ooo that's ok let's buy it.it's happened to many times with this corporations... you are fan? or a man who pop out money from pocket ?
at the end many has 75 hz refresh rate at their display's and the monitor display just 75 FPS
a normal person distinguish 25 fps
and a normal person will buy a n+1 fps videocard
so go on..curse me,tie me,beat me but this is the reality and we buy dreams,

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Tests with Air force pilots have shown, that they could identify the plane on a flashed picture that was flashed only for 1/220th of a second.

That is identifying. So it's pretty safe to say, that recognizing, that SOME light was there is possible with 1/300th of a second. Now if you take into consideration, that you have two eyes with different angles and different areas of sensitivity (you probably know, that you see TV flickering best, when you don't look directly into the TV screen, but with the sides of your eyes) and you can move/rotate/shake your head and your eyes to a different position, you probably needed flashes as short as 1/500th of second to make sure, nobody sees them in any case.

So what is "Enough fps"? I don't know, because nobody went there so far. Maybe 120fps is enough, maybe you will get headaches after 3 hours. Seeing framewise is simply not the way how the eye\brain system works. It works with a continuous flow of light\information. (Similar to the effects of cameras' flashlights ("red eyes"): flashing is simply not the way how we see). So there are still questions. Maybe you need as much as 4000fps, maybe less, maybe more.

The same question as for fps will arise for resolution. How many pixels can the human eye see? Does 2000x1000 (=Star Wars Episode II resolution) look like reality? Or is it just enough to make a film "cinemable"?

The point being, the human eye doesn't see in Frames or Pixels, and is pretty dynamic based on the situation.

G

It's a pity there is no 4850x2 from Saphire in the benchmarks.. I think we've got the best mix of performance and price in that card, it would slot in very close to the GTX285 but for less money.

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I'm still trying to decide if LCD displays are really all that much of an "upgrade" from a high-end CRT. You are really handicapped with nutty resolutions, and all that is required to run them. And, you have a pretty poor "downgrade" path. A CRT is native to any resolution so as games move forward, you can drop resolution to hold 30+ FPS, without the blurry interpolation. Do you even NEED 4X or 8X "clean-up" features at such high resolutions on LCD's, though?

Some LCD's can look nice, but they fly in the face of flexibility from a performance perspective compared to a CRT. Your only flexibility is the video card you buy. That limitation has kept me from buying an LCD. My 19" Trinitron is still keeping me happy.

I'm not knocking LCD's per say, but the cost of ownership to make them strut their stuff is not too good.

cardnyl

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
These power draw numbers look completely bogus/fudged. The power consumption article done by Tom's (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-radeon-power,2122-3.html) shows a single GTX 280 test system based on an older and more power hungry chipset and cpu pulling 380watts at the wall peak 3d. Yet somehow their triple SLI gtx280 system with OC'd core i7 only pulls a measly 636watts at the wall peak? One of these articles is completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.