GeForce GTX 480 And 470: From Fermi And GF100 To Actual Cards!

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noobz1lla

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]9800 GTX+ would run everything I play fine. I foolishly upgraded from that to GTX 260 core 216, very very minimal gain doing that. GTX 470 and GTX 480 are for the hardcore which is fine. there's always plenty of sheep to feed the big corporations too much cash for something that nobody even needs. [/citation]

I agreee with you. I was going to buy a GTX 470/480 to upgrade from my 8800 GS and I realized...Why? What games am i going to play that will require a sick card. I play BC2 and get almost 40fps with medium settings. Future games need to push the envelope graphics wise. I really don't know why they aren't already. Crysis 2 may make me upgrade though :)

ramx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
This reminds me of the similar situation ATI had with the Radeon HD 2900 XT when Geforce 8800 GTX was leading all the charts with lower power draw. Now I think ATI had turned the tables on NVIDIA...Don't u feel it?

seyfertr

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Is there an ETA on the GPU/CPU story? I'm looking to add the 980X and one of the high-end cards (480 or 5970) to boost BOINC thruput don't know which GPU to go with. I have 4 x16 slots and am looking for the biggest bang/slot.

extremebadass

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I am running an nvidia gtx 295 platinum edition overclocked. The frames im getting are higher than the gtx 480.Ibought this card off a mate of mine.He had 2 x gtx 295 in sli on an intel i7 setup and i thought it was amazing until we upgraded to 2 x ati 5970 in xfire. Now i can honestly say that there is no comparison ATI blows nvidia out of this worldframe rates are alot higher than any nvidia setup we have tasted b4.Make sure you update all ati drivers and all your games have latest updates and patches as the ati cards do improve in performance espesially in crysis AMD/ATI rule

rmerwede

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
WOW! Nvidia has solidified my decision to return to ATI after 7 years and 3 difference series' of Nvidia satisfaction. The performance is disappointing to say the least. The price is what I expected, too high. From my experiences, the ATI's OC way better so that closes the performance gap between these and the 5xxx even more. Plus, the 5xxx runs at about 60% of the TEMP at full load! Ohh and Im sure someone here has mentioned price? Minimal performance increase for maximum $$$??? Nvidia has a large set to say the least. Like to see how this pans out.

G

I've only ever known Nvidea until my friend in the IT department at work told me about the ATI HD 5870 it's a brilliant card for a good affordable price, I was phsyced about the GTX 480 but when I saw the Price and realised that I probably couldnt get one until the middle of May because Nvidea didnt make enough to cover for everyone, I thought what the hey. DX11 is beautiful Metro 2033 looks amazing, It dosnt run too hot, and I've got the Eyefinity option if I so choose to use it, Bargin!

I never thought i'd say it but,
"ATI have taken the lead in the GPU race"
I think Nvidea need to sit down and have a good hard look at themselfs Epic Failure!

LucaSabu

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
This was tested with gaming in mind.

As a future 3D design student, I was wondering if it would be good with 3Dsmax. Considering the Nvidia drivers were always good, that fermi is a beaffy Cuda and that tessellation is, according to what I heard, really good on this card.

scirishman76

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
IMHO The gtx 480 has a better picture(distant objects look especially better on the gtx 400's)it seems like close to half the games made now use physX and the graphics quality is noticeably better with an Nvidia card and now more games are gonna start using tessellation which the gtx 480's excel over the 5000's at.When comparing apples to apples and turning off or not factoring in all the extra boosts you get from a gtx 480 then yes the gtx 480 only beats the 5870 by few percent.I will pay a $90 more to get physX ,better looking distant objects and much better looking close object also in games with tessellation plus a 15% or so performance boost.The reality is that to really get close to an identical experience from an HD5870 most people have to pair it with a dedicated physX card(ironically most people use a gts250 with a 5870).At this point the 5870 setup becomes more expensive and draws more power to do the same thing that a gtx 480 does all by itself,not to mention that this still won't accomplish tessellation as well and distant objects still won't look as good.FPS benchmarks do this card no justice.

scirishman76

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]come on guys, 4870 is nailing 5970, aren't you impressed?![/citation]
how do you figure ATI cards OC better the 5870 is lucky to get from 850 to 950 or so and usually stops below 930 thats around a 10 % OC the gtx 480 goes from 700 to 805 and if you get an asus or msi they will hit 860 with the voltage software.That's a 15% OC stock and a 21% OC with the asus and msi.

deividast

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I can't wait till i get my hands on one of those 480GTX and hopefully i'll be able to afford 2 of them at once.... i so really want them, that i even decided to change my poor 520W supply to 1200W..... and what a boost it will be from 8800GTS with 640MB :D

dominatorix

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009

.....end your information(opinion)is useful for.....????

scirishman76

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Ok so I just input the test #'s for all the game test run at 1920X1200 with 4Xaa(didn't include vantage as it reflect very little on real game performance) as this is where I play.At those resolutions the 480 wins by an average of over 25% not to mention the 5870 couldn't even play metro 2033 at the same settings.These numbers are close to the margin that the 5870 wins over the GTX 285.Also I mentioned in an earlier post that the with a gtx 480 most of your games will look a little better than the 5870(physX,better looking distant objects,and way better looking close objects if tessellation is enabled).In order for people to get close to an identical experience from a 5870 they have to pair it with a dedicated PhysX card,at which point the 5870 setup becomes more expensive and draws more power(and still doesn't handle tess. as well and distance still looks better on 480 hmmmmm).So when the 5870 beats out the gtx285 by 25 to 30% its a revelation for the ATI fanboys.But when the 480 does the same thing to the 5870 and has options that will make your games look better that the 5870 doesn't or just can't handle all I hear is denial by the ATI fanboys and about how much power it draws.Add PhysX to your 5870 setup(only way to truly compare apples to apples)and now it draws more power or close to the same.So do I think that a 25% performance increase,PhysX,far better tessellation and better distant objects is worth $90 to $100 more.ABSOLUTELY

scirishman76

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]scirishman76[/nom]Ok so I just input the test #'s for all the game test run at 1920X1200 with 4Xaa(didn't include vantage as it reflect very little on real game performance) as this is where I play.At those resolutions the 480 wins by an average of over 25% not to mention the 5870 couldn't even play metro 2033 at the same settings.These numbers are close to the margin that the 5870 wins over the GTX 285.Also I mentioned in an earlier post that the with a gtx 480 most of your games will look a little better than the 5870(physX,better looking distant objects,and way better looking close objects if tessellation is enabled).In order for people to get close to an identical experience from a 5870 they have to pair it with a dedicated PhysX card,at which point the 5870 setup becomes more expensive and draws more power(and still doesn't handle tess. as well and distance still looks better on 480 hmmmmm).So when the 5870 beats out the gtx285 by 25 to 30% its a revelation for the ATI fanboys.But when the 480 does the same thing to the 5870 and has options that will make your games look better that the 5870 doesn't or just can't handle all I hear is denial by the ATI fanboys and about how much power it draws.Add PhysX to your 5870 setup(only way to truly compare apples to apples)and now it draws more power or close to the same.So do I think that a 25% performance increase,PhysX,far better tessellation and better distant objects is worth $90 to $100 more.ABSOLUTELY[/citation]
[citation][nom]scirishman76[/nom]Ok so I just input the test #'s for all the game test run at 1920X1200 with 4Xaa(didn't include vantage as it reflect very little on real game performance) as this is where I play.At those resolutions the 480 wins by an average of over 25% not to mention the 5870 couldn't even play metro 2033 at the same settings.These numbers are close to the margin that the 5870 wins over the GTX 285.Also I mentioned in an earlier post that the with a gtx 480 most of your games will look a little better than the 5870(physX,better looking distant objects,and way better looking close objects if tessellation is enabled).In order for people to get close to an identical experience from a 5870 they have to pair it with a dedicated PhysX card,at which point the 5870 setup becomes more expensive and draws more power(and still doesn't handle tess. as well and distance still looks better on 480 hmmmmm).So when the 5870 beats out the gtx285 by 25 to 30% its a revelation for the ATI fanboys.But when the 480 does the same thing to the 5870 and has options that will make your games look better that the 5870 doesn't or just can't handle all I hear is denial by the ATI fanboys and about how much power it draws.Add PhysX to your 5870 setup(only way to truly compare apples to apples)and now it draws more power or close to the same.So do I think that a 25% performance increase,PhysX,far better tessellation and better distant objects is worth $90 to $100 more.ABSOLUTELY[/citation]
On a side note my case has 3X140MM fans one blows right on the gpu and 3X120 mm fans(including psu fan).Its quite windy in my case and I don't think heat will be a huge problem.

G

Here is what happend . AMD six months ago introduced 5xxx series and now nvidia is offering 5 ~ 10 performance boost at cost of at least 100 dollar more . and you would be paying more than an ati card to just keep your card running ( Power Consumption ) .

ATi HD 5870 provides reasonabe performance against 480 . It's cheaper and less ( alot less ) power hungry . So if you want a good card go for 5870. If you want the best go for HD 5970. else if you want the middle part 480 is waiting for you !

AMD has already answerd Fermi 480 with HD 5970 . And if you want more powwwwer check rumors about xfx 5970 black edition !

G

Does'nt mean much with early drivers. ATI had a huge performance increase with there driver that took a while to roll out. Either way competition just makes prices drop and more OC cards / lower range cards to be produced.

G

Oh god...
When Nvidia launched the 8800GTX some years ago, it really was a performance monster compared to what was available, I knew it was a great card that was going to last. I have been using my Nvidia 8800GTX for YEARS now, one because I still haven´t found a game that this card can´t run decently on my monitor (at CRT resolutions), and two because I was waiting for the next killer card. I have used Ati, and they are good, but I would like to keep using Nvidia because I like their drivers better. When Fermi was announced, I thought this was the time. They even skipped the 300's series, suggesting the next super GPU. But:
-Only a 10%-15% improvement for 100 bucks more. I live in Chile, so those 100 bucks are going to be a LOT more here.
-97+°C?!? Are you kidding me? That thing is going to melt my case and diminish the lifetime of all components inside it!
-It uses so much power that I will need a mini fusion plant to power it.
-Ati has 3 monitor support with one card. Nvidia needs TWO in SLI. What were they thinking? Worse, 3D will need expensive 120HZ monitors and, again, TWO cards. Don't even want to think how much a rig like that will cost. And what about the heat and power consumption of two 480's in one case?
-Noise was not measured in this review, but having seen other reviews in other sites, this thing is a lot louder than the 5870. I want my case to be quiet, not to sound like a vacuum cleaner.
-"TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio cannot be bitstreamed, as they can with AMD’s Radeon HD 5000-series"
Pro's:
-Better tesselation and, from what I see, better directx 11 performance.
-Better minimum frame rates.
-Phys-X. But debatable, as the performance hit is substantial.
-Adobe GPU accelerated apps.

It's a good performer, no doubt about it. But it's not enough to justify the cost and all the con's. Clearly the 5870 is a better value. Almost the same performance, for a lot less money, heat, noise and electricity bill.
I will have to keep waiting...

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Let's not forget that ATI was gobbled up by AMD. Just think what could have happened if Intel did the same to Nvidia?

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Yes it looks like a machine but can it really perform like one? comparing it to the 5000 series? i don't know hey... i agree with brett1042002, it is a little too late, they should have brought out something more powerful for us all to be WOWing about! and all this coming from a Nvidia fan! come on Nvidia, you guys could have done better than that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts