[SOLVED] General OC-ing Question

Shmo

Prominent
Jan 20, 2021
Just wanted to know if overclocking is worth it, or dangerous regarding my setup. I have an Intel i5-9600KF that runs at 4.3ghz without OC. I overclocked it to 4.8ghz with a voltage of 1.28. I could overclock it to 5ghz but that recommends a voltage of 1.4, which I think may be too high. It runs 40-60 degrees while gaming. I overclock my AMD Radeon 5600xt by using the automatic overclock in the AMD drivers menu. Temps range from 60-75 while gaming. As a general benchmark, fortnite on ultra ran at 80-90FPS. After both overclocked, it runs at 130-140FPS. Just wondering if this could cause issues with damaging hardware or shortening lifespan (I plan to keep this setup for a max of 5 years.) It also increases performance pretty significantly. Thanks, Robert

Last edited:
Solution
Just wanted to know if overclocking is worth it...
Varies between users. IMHO, you won't have your own stance on it without getting your own hands 'dirty'.

That said, I'd say it's not as unique(?) as it once was as technology has 'caught up'.
Overclocking an old 2600K or R9 390 gpu saw larger gains compared to say, a Ryzen 3700X or GTX 1070.

When we've got cpus and gpus out there that can pursue higher performance than their stock specs on their own, and all we have to do is put a bigger cooler on it... overclocking isn't going to do much much better, save for maybe LN2, and that's a whole 'nother ballpark.
Though, that's all my own opinion, LOL.
1080Ti: I stopped once I put a hybrid cooler on it. Never sees over 40C, and...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just wanted to know if overclocking is worth it...
Varies between users. IMHO, you won't have your own stance on it without getting your own hands 'dirty'.

That said, I'd say it's not as unique(?) as it once was as technology has 'caught up'.
Overclocking an old 2600K or R9 390 gpu saw larger gains compared to say, a Ryzen 3700X or GTX 1070.

When we've got cpus and gpus out there that can pursue higher performance than their stock specs on their own, and all we have to do is put a bigger cooler on it... overclocking isn't going to do much much better, save for maybe LN2, and that's a whole 'nother ballpark.
Though, that's all my own opinion, LOL.
1080Ti: I stopped once I put a hybrid cooler on it. Never sees over 40C, and already boosts 431mhz from the stock 1518mhz clock. It holds 1949mhz pretty consistently.
7820X: Delidded, and finally direct die mounted. Successful 4.6ghz all core OC. It was fun to do for a time; I satisfied my curiousity, but I wouldn't do it again. Next cpu upgrade, I'm just gonna slap a big ol' air cooler on it.

After having screwed around with all that, I think I degraded my previous psu(Seasonic Prime Titanium 750w) faster. 10 year warranty, but started giving me trouble almost 5 years in...
So yeah, another downside to overclocking.

or dangerous regarding my setup
Dangerous? If you didn't get any junk parts, and you understand a little bit about the workings of bios, safe operating voltage and thermals, then no, not really.

Just wondering if this could cause issues with damaging hardware or shortening lifespan
The whole point of overclocking is running parts out of spec for more performance, everything else be darned.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution