Question Getting a 3060 Ti

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
So I've had an RX580 for roughly 2 1/2 years now, and although it's served me well, I've noticed its performance degrading recently. I replaced the thermal paste and pads a few months ago, so at this point I know it's just my card getting old. As of now, it's still functional, and has only slowed down slightly. However, I know that soon it may very well keel over and die, and with this knowledge, I know I need a suitable replacement for it. I'm not willing to spend copious amounts of money for a slight upgrade from my RX580, as I've found it's power a little limiting in certain situations from time to time. This problem brings forth the 3060 Ti as the ideal option. Fast, new, and (it was supposed to be) cheap! Unfortunately, cryptomining has skyrocketed the prices and made getting one impossible, from what I've found. I wanted to know if anyone has any method they'd recommend to get a 3060 Ti. Everything I've seen has led me to believe it may be impossible to get one without waiting a year or more.

Clock Speeds

Base Clock = 1410 MHz Boost Clock = 1665 MHz Memory Clock = 1750 MHz :) 14 Gbps effective
Memory

Memory Size = 8 GB Memory Type = GDDR6 Memory Bus = 256 bit Bandwidth = 448.0 GB/s

Yes, ill recommend the 3060 Ti :) (according to the chart above)

So you'd recommend that the OP spend money without knowing his or her system specs and the resolution he or she is gaming at?

I think we need to know that before advising someone spend their hard earned on an expensive graphics card.

Reactions: dotas1
i didnt force anyone to BUY anything.

So when someone asks what do you recommend, i recommend what i feel good for me.
if he wants something good for him, then he wont ask us right?
You do not force anyone, correct. You recommend something without considering ANY other option and without taking into account the system OP has. PSU quality and age, platform, monitor's resolution and refresh rate are just some of the major things that you need to consider first.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
You do not force anyone, correct. You recommend something without considering ANY other option and without taking into account the system OP has. PSU quality and age, platform, monitor's resolution and refresh rate are just some of the major things that you need to consider first.
Well, with what research I've done, the 3060 Ti looks like the best option. The main problem is getting my hands on one.

Well, with what research I've done, the 3060 Ti looks like the best option. The main problem is getting my hands on one.
Depends on where you are. Here in Europe no problem, you can have a new card from shop in less then a week. If you are ready to pay double (or more) MSRP that is. However, if you are looking for something close to MSRP - those are unicorns: don't exist.

i didnt force anyone to BUY anything.

So when someone asks what do you recommend, i recommend what i feel good for me.
if he wants something good for him, then he wont ask us right?

No, you didn't force anyone. But you're trying to be smart in your response and it's not working one bit. What you are conveniently forgetting is that people will buy products off the back of recommendations given here and your words were "I recommend" and then named a product, a pretty expensive one at that. You cannot assume that it's for the system in the signature, you have to confirm this first before giving recommendations. Also, screen resolution is extremely important when shopping for graphics cards, but you didn't even bother to ask about that. So don't be getting all smart with me in your response because it doesn't make you look good at all, turns out you advise people on what feels good for you. Bad, very bad. It's not you who matters here. It's not your money being spent.

Take the lesson and move on instead of being a kid about it, because what "feels good" for you is not necessarily what is suitable for others.

OP, if you're running at 1080p, I really would not bother upgrading until you are upgrading your monitor because for what it'd cost, it isn't worth the money for the uplift you'd get at 1080p. If you're in the UK or certain parts of Europe, download the Telegram app for your phone and join the FE Partalert channel. You need to be quick but if you are, you can get an FE card at MSRP.

And that despite what "feels good" for others, whose money isn't actually being spent and who base their recommendations on specs of cards and not the actual systems they're going into.

Last edited:
Reactions: dotas1

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Before we can answer you the best way, we need to know are your specs what is in your signature and what monitor you are running?
I run two 1080p monitors, one 144hz and the other 75hz (or maybe it was 60, I can't remember). I'd like to have the possibility of upgrading to 1440p in the future, hence my desire for a stronger card. The rest of (or at least most of) my specs are displayed in the little grey text below my messages.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Depends on where you are. Here in Europe no problem, you can have a new card from shop in less then a week. If you are ready to pay double (or more) MSRP that is. However, if you are looking for something close to MSRP - those are unicorns: don't exist.
I'm in America. I know a friend who managed to nab one from a store last minute a few months back, but so far all I have seen is "out of stock".

I'm in America. I know a friend who managed to nab one from a store last minute a few months back, but so far all I have seen is "out of stock".

I think it's either Best Buy or Microcenter who do the FE cards in the states, sign up for a stock alert using telegram or Discord and try and grab one at or near MSRP when the cards drop, pretty sure the same stuff like this being done in Europe is being done in the US.

How old is that power supply? The reason I ask is because it isn't going to burn your house down, but it is noted in reviews that it doesn't perform the best with transient power spikes, something the 3000 series of cards are known for. The capacitors in power supplies also degrade with age. Also depends on the age of the power supply. If that's more than the warranty period, you'll definitely need a new one.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I think it's either Best Buy or Microcenter who do the FE cards in the states, sign up for a stock alert using telegram or Discord and try and grab one at or near MSRP when the cards drop, pretty sure the same stuff like this being done in Europe is being done in the US.

How old is that power supply? The reason I ask is because it isn't going to burn your house down, but it is noted in reviews that it doesn't perform the best with transient power spikes, something the 3000 series of cards are known for. The capacitors in power supplies also degrade with age. Also depends on the age of the power supply. If that's more than the warranty period, you'll definitely need a new one.
I've had it for maybe half a year. Bought it in preparation for a new card, and I'm aware of it's potential issues with power spikes, but people I've talked to in the past said it would more than likely be fine.

Also, what stock alert would you recommend to use? I've never used one in the past.

Don't know about the US, but in Europe we use FE Partalert on either Discord or Telegram. Maybe a US user can offer some input on how people over there are doing it. This 3080 cost £649 a couple of months ago, just over 700 dollars US, using this method. It can be done, but you have to be quick.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Don't know about the US, but in Europe we use FE Partalert on either Discord or Telegram. Maybe a US user can offer some input on how people over there are doing it. This 3080 cost £649 a couple of months ago, just over 700 dollars US, using this method. It can be done, but you have to be quick.
I see. I'll need to find an American version of Partalert since it does seem to be exclusively European.

I have them all displayed in the little grey text bellow every message I send. Dunno the term for that, but I put most of my specs there. Lmk if there's any other specs you need
I mainly log in from smartphone in which case signatures (the grey text below) is not shown.

It's always best to include the specs in the thread because your signature specs may change at any time and if someone having the same issue comes here to look for an answer, he will then see different hardware.

Other than that, @John Chesterfield has you covered with his advices.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
I mainly log in from smartphone in which case signatures (the grey text below) is not shown.

It's always best to include the specs in the thread because your signature specs may change at any time and if someone having the same issue comes here to look for an answer, he will then see different hardware.

Other than that, @John Chesterfield has you covered with his advices.
Oh, sorry. I'll post them now.
GPU: RX580
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance LPX
Mobo: Asus Prime B450-M
PSU: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro EA750G
Hard Drive: Hitachi HUA722020ALA331 (2TB)
PC Case: Deepcool Tesseract SW
Case Fans: 2x Built in, 2x additional

I've had it for maybe half a year. Bought it in preparation for a new card, and I'm aware of it's potential issues with power spikes, but people I've talked to in the past said it would more than likely be fine.

Half a year is fine, I think you'll be okay with it as if you do have any issues, you can always claim your warranty. It's got 7 years, so they clearly have a lot of trust in their product.

However I think you'll be fine with a 3060ti. Might be different were it to be a 3080 or 3090, but a 3060ti should be fine. Only reason I mention this is because it's based on the Seasonic Focus line, some of which did exhibit some issues with the transient load spike problems. It's something I had to think about with the 3080, even with a 1kW unit.

But I'd say you're totally good with it. I wouldn't put anything higher than a 3070 on it though. However, by the time you're thinking about doing that, the power supply will be a few years old and therefore it won't feel like you're wasting something were you to have to replace it.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
Half a year is fine, I think you'll be okay with it as if you do have any issues, you can always claim your warranty. It's got 7 years, so they clearly have a lot of trust in their product.

However I think you'll be fine with a 3060ti. Might be different were it to be a 3080 or 3090, but a 3060ti should be fine. Only reason I mention this is because it's based on the Seasonic Focus line, some of which did exhibit some issues with the transient load spike problems. It's something I had to think about with the 3080, even with a 1kW unit.

But I'd say you're totally good with it. I wouldn't put anything higher than a 3070 on it though. However, by the time you're thinking about doing that, the power supply will be a few years old and therefore it won't feel like you're wasting something were you to have to replace it.
Yeah, the plan is to buy something (3060 Ti) powerful enough that I won't have to get a new card for a good number of years. Unless there's a better option I'm unaware of, the 3060 Ti would be great if I'm able to get my hands on it for a reasonable price.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So I've had an RX580 for roughly 2 1/2 years now, and although it's served me well, I've noticed its performance degrading recently. I replaced the thermal paste and pads a few months ago, so at this point I know it's just my card getting old. As of now, it's still functional, and has only slowed down slightly. However, I know that soon it may very well keel over and die, and with this knowledge, I know I need a suitable replacement for it. I'm not willing to spend copious amounts of money for a slight upgrade from my RX580, as I've found it's power a little limiting in certain situations from time to time. This problem brings forth the 3060 Ti as the ideal option. Fast, new, and (it was supposed to be) cheap! Unfortunately, cryptomining has skyrocketed the prices and made getting one impossible, from what I've found. I wanted to know if anyone has any method they'd recommend to get a 3060 Ti. Everything I've seen has led me to believe it may be impossible to get one without waiting a year or more.
If your in the US then join this each day till you get a card.

Ethonodon

Commendable
Mar 29, 2021
https://secure.newegg.com/identity/signin?tk=b767ea_e0805a99133748a397d40203b5b6f3c32620

You will need to go to the Newegg Site and make a account. They have a drawing for different products every day.

Today they had a 3060 for 500 and a 3070 for 770 no 3060ti today but they change everyday.
Sorry, where do I find the place where it lists the drawing for different products? I have an account but that link leads me to a blank page that says "session expired".

TRENDING THREADS