Question Getting a DNS error/losing the ability to browse on new machine

Aug 8, 2019
Ever since I finished my new computer build/windows 10 installation, I regularly (once every hour or 2) lose the ability to browse. I'll get a "no internet page" in chrome reporting "
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NO_INTERNET" and if I try to run troubleshoot it gives me something about a DNS error. All my network adapter settings are identical (windows 10 defaults) to the ones on my old machine, and the network itself is also exactly the same. Connecting via ethernet isn't an option due to the location of my router, but this happens when using both my motherboard's built-in wifi adapter and when using an external dongle. Never saw this issue on my old machine.

Strangely when this issue is happening, I can't browse anywhere, but other apps using the internet keep working fine. I don't get kicked out of discord calls and can still hear and be heard by the other parties, and I don't get disconnected from games. It's only my ability to browse that's affected. Disconnecting from and then reconnecting to the network always fixes the issue right away, but it reoccurs soon enough. Any ideas what might be happening here or how I can fix it? Thanks in advance! I'm using chrome as my browser in case that's relevant.

Aug 8, 2019
full system spec? include make and modem of the psu

test it in safe mode?

malware scan?

No malware, and i have the same problems in safe mode. Again it only happens once an hour or so, but sometimes more often, and disconnecting/reconnecting to wi-fi fixes it. It also only stops me from browsing, if it happens while i'm in a multiplayer game or on a discord call it does not disconnect me.

I also get this error regardless of whether i'm using my mobo's built-in wifi or an external dongle.

MSI z390 gaming edge ac mobo
i5 9600k
2070 super
16GB of corsair lpx ddr4
1tb samsung 970 evo nvme ssd
2tb WD black HDD
Corsair RMx 650w psu

Is the version of Chrome on this computer on your profile, pulling Goolge data from your other devices, or is all data totally new to this computer?

The next time the occurs, try connecting with Edge or IE and let us know if those browsers are affected as well.

Although it shouldn't cause this specific issue, make sure date and time on this computer are correct.

Aug 8, 2019
Is the version of Chrome on this computer on your profile, pulling Goolge data from your other devices, or is all data totally new to this computer?

The next time the occurs, try connecting with Edge or IE and let us know if those browsers are affected as well.

Although it shouldn't cause this specific issue, make sure date and time on this computer are correct.

Computer date and time are correct. It affects other browsers than chrome, and also makes it so the steam store doesn't load. However as I said, an ongoing voice call like in discord isn't interrupted. very weird

Well the easiest, not so great answer is that the integrated Wifi on the board osn't playing nice with the router. Have you men to MSI's website to see if they have a newer driver than the one you are using now? Have you tried different wifi (g vs 5g, for example) to see if that changes anything? Have you bought a wireless card just to see if it performs better than the built-in wifi?

Aug 8, 2019
Well the easiest, not so great answer is that the integrated Wifi on the board osn't playing nice with the router. Have you men to MSI's website to see if they have a newer driver than the one you are using now? Have you tried different wifi (g vs 5g, for example) to see if that changes anything? Have you bought a wireless card just to see if it performs better than the built-in wifi?

Hi, I have tried disabling my built-in wi-fi and instead using a usb wifi dongle (the one I used with my previous build and had no problems with) and the issue still occurs. I will note that in the weeks since I built my computer this happens less and less: it used to be several times a day and now it is only a few times a week. Not sure why