[SOLVED] Getting low fps with Asus Rog Strix RTX 2080 Ti

Jan 2, 2020
So as the title says I'm getting somewhat low frames per second with my new pc, that I built about a few weeks ago. I have the RTX 2080ti in it and I've been reading and watching videos about the average fps counts that others have (around 120 or so in Battlefield V at 1440p) and I have pretty much only half of that. I'm very new to the pc stuff and pretty much have no idea where to begin looking for the issue. But i'll list all the specs of my pc down below and the things that I've done so far (updating drivers etc) in here as well and hope that someone has a clue whats going on with it.

These are the specs.
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix Z390-E
Cpu: Intel i9-9900K (not overclocked except with XMP 2 profile)
Gpu: Asus Rog Strix RTX 208 Ti
Ram:16GB HyperX Fury (running at 3200MHz at XMP2)
Memory: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus SSD, M.2 2280, PCIe 3.0 x4, NVMe, 3500/3200 MB/s (This one has the Windows 10 in it and all the programs) and I have second drive by Samsung 1TB 860 QVO, 2.5" SSD, SATA III, MLC, 550/520 MB/S that has all my games on it.
Psu: Corsair 850W RM850x
Cpu cooler: Noctua NH-D15

The display that I use is Samsung's C27JG56 27" 1440p 144hz monitor connected to the GPU via DisplayPort. So it shouldn't be the bottleneck at least.

All that I've done so far is that I've updated the Nvidia drivers, set my screen refresh rate to 144hz from Nvidia control panel and set that XMP profile to XMP II from bios. And what comes to the game settings i pretty much have all turned up to the max (including rendering scale which is at 200%).

I hope that someone has some insight into what might be the problem here (if there is one anyways haha) so that I could get things to run at their maximum rates. Thanks for the help in advance :)

Solution
OK, so now you just have to get the GPU running well. I see you used DDU to uninstall and then resintall drivers. This should have reset everything to default. I'm still thinking about the poor result in the Userbenchmark retest: did you leave the video recording on during the test? That would certainly give a bad result. Just in case, try this in nVidia control panel and don't forget to click "Apply" to save the new settings:

RPdPIdr.png

Your GPU clocks and temps should be similar to this:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-strix-oc/37.html

Once you get your GPU working properly again we can revisit certain CPU, RAM, and GPU settings to get the extra 10% out of them.
Jan 2, 2020
see if you have turned on ray tracing if if you did
try turning it of and your fps will literaly double your fps
it is called "DXR" option under you video > advanced
I actually didn't have it turned on. It was disabled as a preset. But when I went and turned on DXR the frames were cut to half from even the already low count they were at and now they were sitting at 20 fps which is a bit too low for 3000$ pc lol. I'm not quite sure what to try anymore :rolleyes: (sounds of frustration)

EDIT: I ran UserBenchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23432670 and it gave me some score about my build, after that i checked what kindof fps others were having with same specs and as no surprise they most of them had average of 130fps (in bf v as an example) and well as you already know i have only half of that. So mind boggling.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019
I actually didn't have it turned on. It was disabled as a preset. But when I went and turned on DXR the frames were cut to half from even the already low count they were at and now they were sitting at 20 fps which is a bit too low for 3000$ pc lol. I'm not quite sure what to try anymore :rolleyes: (sounds of frustration)

just destroy your pc for the best results and buy a budget one

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
You could always try deleting the display drivers and re installing the updated ones. Also you might have accidentally capped your fps in a graphics profile or something along those lines for the game. If you're consistently getting 60 and not some random number like 47 or 69 the second would make sense.

Jan 2, 2020
You could always try deleting the display drivers and re installing the updated ones. Also you might have accidentally capped your fps in a graphics profile or something along those lines for the game. If you're consistently getting 60 and not some random number like 47 or 69 the second would make sense.
The fps number actually is sailing somewhat in between 40-65 fps depending on some variables in the game.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
The fps number actually is sailing somewhat in between 40-65 fps depending on some variables in the game.
I'm leaning towards bios needing an update possibly and some driver support. There's a link in the stickies that will direct you to some software and directions to get a fresh install of your graphics drivers.
You could have something running in the background that is eating your cpu power too. It is performing very poorly and could be the cause of everything. If you have a temperature monitoring program check it to see if you aren't throttling and make sure you have the latest intel support.

Swarzenegger

Great
Jan 6, 2020
Userbenchmark says me the problem is your cpu.

Try activating XMP 1 and turn off ASUS turbo boost, your CPU isn't turbo boosting and staying at 3,6 GHz for whatever reason... But still, I don't see how you could get such low fps if only the turbo boost is a problem...
Also using rendering scale at 200% renders it at 4k, if u have a 1440p monitor, use 133%.

Reactions: mortemas
Jan 2, 2020
also are you getting bad fps in only bfv or all games would be good if you could try some other game.
first of all, i want to thank you, everyone, for the feedback, help is much appreciated since I'm not much of an expert my self when it comes to pc stuff. And yes I pretty much have quite a bit lower frames than what is normal at all the games I've tried to play so far. So yes it a universal problem. I'm gonna do the GPU driver reinstallation tomorrow since it's getting late for this day. I'll keep you guys posted about how I'm doing and if I'm coming any closer to the fix.

Btw what comes to the Asus turbo boost. can i disable it somehow from somewhere? Didn't find an off switch for it at least yet.
Plus what drivers should i download from intel since someone mentioned about them earlier on the thread?

jovan.draganovic

Reputable
Nov 27, 2018
There is no reason to disable asus turbo boost since you are not having a heat problem.
Also there is no such thing as intel drivers cpus dont need or have drivers.
important thing is gpu drivers and here is a link what to install after cleaning old ones
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

also you have mentiones that your rendering a scale is 200% that means that you are rendering game at 4k so for 2k it needs to be 133% one guy already said this.

Jan 2, 2020
Has to be that. This man wins the trophy.
Actually wasnt, not atleast the whole problem. After i droped the resolution scaling down to 133% the fps did go up but only slightly. It sits now at about 80-90 but thats still far away from 130-140 which is what others are haveing. So there is still something off in it, that i’m trying to uncover.

Jan 2, 2020
Ok, so I used the DDU software to remove all display drivers that I had (Nvidia and intel both) and then did a fresh install with the latest Nvidia drivers that I found from Nvidia's website. This didn't seem to have any effect on the fps what so ever. I did the UserBenchmark again https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23454732 and well the results seemed even lower now than they did before :oops: (I ran the UserBenchmark before and right after a restart so there would not be any unnecessary variables) then I downloaded some benchmarking software and went into the battlefield V (which I've been using as my benchmark form the games I have) and recorded some numbers overlayed on the gameplay for you guys to check out. Here is a link to the video that I recorded and uploaded to my dropbox, I hope it works. 👉 https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9i2xvjmci87vzl/2020-01-07 12-49-36.mp4?dl=0

The video is super laggy but it's just the video for some reason the game itself worked just fine when I recorded it.

Jan 2, 2020
Set the in game display resolution to 100%.

Find out why your CPU isn't hitting boost speeds. What's your Windows power settings set at? Do you have something disabled in BIOS?
Bios should be pretty much untouched since I have only changed the XMP setting to XMP 1 as someone suggested earlier. I have not done anything else in there so any switch in there should not be flipped to the wrong position, not at least by me. I’m not sure if some presets might be wrong since I don’t really know what to look for in there, but if someone has any suggestions on what to look out for, I’ll go and check that then. And I’ll check those other points out that you mentioned as well and get back to you guys after that.

EDIT: I checked the windows power settings and those were ok (the mode was set to performance)
then I did some benchmarks with CPU Z https://valid.x86.fr/qqfu68 and got some pretty underwhelming scores :tearsofjoy: and also did some benchmarks with the "superposition" benchmarking program and got some quite poor results from there as well here's a picture about that https://www.dropbox.com/s/1qgylhvbr3ljmiu/Superposition_Benchmark_v1.1_8716_1578406135.png?dl=0 I compared those with other peoples scores (exactly the same hardware as mine) and my score was very poor in comparison to theirs. For example that GPU score was about 3000 points lower than the average.

It seems like there is some kind of power switch being flipped to some power-saving mode or something.

Last edited:
Hmm, yeah my eye homed in on the 200% rendering, but swarzenegger actually also mentioned the CPU problem so he saw both problems. Retest on Userbenchmark may have been worse if you accidentally had gsync/vsync on, maybe? Userbenchmark instructs to disable it. I'm at work right now and will check in later, but hopefully someone else can chime in. I will say, I think rendering at 100% should get rid of that GPU bottleneck (200% rendering = 50% FPS), but now you must sort out the CPU problem because high FPS needs high CPU clocks. Go into BIOS and find "load optimized defaults" or similar, save, and exit (or better yet, reset BIOS, then load optimized defaults, save, retest). Then, verify that your CPU is clocking faster than the 3.6 GHz your getting now because that problem still remains and even your GPU score won't go up until you fix your CPU problem.

Reactions: NatKingGolem
Jan 2, 2020
Hmm, yeah my eye homed in on the 200% rendering, but swarzenegger actually also mentioned the CPU problem so he saw both problems. Retest on Userbenchmark may have been worse if you accidentally had gsync/vsync on, maybe? Userbenchmark instructs to disable it. I'm at work right now and will check in later, but hopefully someone else can chime in. I will say, I think rendering at 100% should get rid of that GPU bottleneck (200% rendering = 50% FPS), but now you must sort out the CPU problem because high FPS needs high CPU clocks. Go into BIOS and find "load optimized defaults" or similar, save, and exit (or better yet, reset BIOS, then load optimized defaults, save, retest). Then, verify that your CPU is clocking faster than the 3.6 GHz your getting now because that problem still remains and even your GPU score won't go up until you fix your CPU problem.
I reseted the defaults to the BIOS and well it actually helped quite a bit with the CPU issue. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23461132 according to the UserBenchmark my CPU is running now at it's intended speeds and now i only have that GPU issue left to tackle with.

Reactions: mortemas
OK, so now you just have to get the GPU running well. I see you used DDU to uninstall and then resintall drivers. This should have reset everything to default. I'm still thinking about the poor result in the Userbenchmark retest: did you leave the video recording on during the test? That would certainly give a bad result. Just in case, try this in nVidia control panel and don't forget to click "Apply" to save the new settings:

RPdPIdr.png

Once you get your GPU working properly again we can revisit certain CPU, RAM, and GPU settings to get the extra 10% out of them.

Solution
Jan 2, 2020

RPdPIdr.png

Alright so i tried that one and it didn’t seem to have any effect to the fps or anything else either really. But I’ll take a closer look at it again at evening once i get back home. Tho i noticed some input lag that did appear to the game play yesterday after i did the BIOS reset , any idea what could cause that? And no i actually did not have the recording software on while i benchmarked the gpu, infact i removed it completely since i only needed it to record the gameplay results.

Jan 2, 2020
Ok, good news guys(at least mostly)! Everything seems to run like it should now (including even my CPU that I wasn't even aware was underperforming before haha). here are some results that I got after benchmarking it (the results are from stock pc, all I have done is I have set the XMP profile from bios to XMP I and that's it).

3Dmark Time Spy results. https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/42797961?

So what did I do to fix the underperforming?
As you guys guided me, I first did a fresh install of the Graphics drivers with DDU software in safe mode.
After that, I reset my BIOS settings and set the XMP profile to XMP I. And lastly, I reset the Nvidia control panels 3D settings and now everything is with nice frame rates now. There is only one problem left anymore that i think is caused by some weird settings or something altho all my settings are the sem in BF V. So there is this weird lag or flicker I could say. When I move or run for example half of the step sort of gets cut off every time. it's a bit nauseating to look at,

Big thanks to everyone for the help with the underperformance issue anyways, really appreciate it!

Now once I get that flickering/stuttering/laggy image flow fixed then I'm set for a long time. So if anyone has any clue what could do that small issue it would be a big help.

Last edited: