Ghosting (or overdrive?) on HP Omen 27 @ 165hz and 144hz on fastest response time settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

catty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Hi guys I am having trouble with what I perceive to be ghosting or overdrive(looks more like overdrive) on my HP Omen 27 @ 165hz and 144hz on any response time setting above the default so level 4, 5 and 6 (trying to use the advertised 1-2ms response time). I have tried different display port cables and different graphics cards and still no luck. I have also tried removing all cable interference which was suggested on another post I saw.

I am unable to show a screenshot of this as when I take a picture it looks perfectly fine..

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can potentially fix this it's driving me crazy..

Thanks!

Solution
You may already have 1ms but you aren't actually measuring it. No monitor specs can be believed anyways because they are best possible, not real world use. Others like contrast are not even close many times and they aren't even capable of it in best case scenarios. None of it is regulated and most of it is fake. But 1ms is still a marketing gimmick and irrelevant. Response times is for ghosting. If you have no ghosting, the number makes no difference. You set overdrive to where it gets no ghosting or inverse ghosting. If you can do that then there is nothing wrong with the monitor and you got what you wanted. You got good response times to have no ghosting. Don't fall for the marketing tricks.

catty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

Nope I have tried on 59/60hz, 100hz and 120hz also :(

catty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

Sorry I thought you said refresh rate!

Yes it is fine at default (5ms) when I try turning this up to the advertised 1-2ms I get this "ghosting"

Thanks

Screenshot won't get it because a screenshot is taking an image of the video signal, not what you see. You need to take a picture with a camera to capture what you see but it's not necessary. As it's only happening when changing response time, it's obviously some form of ghosting. That's normal for any overdrive and is why you don't turn it up too high or too low. Just leave it on default which is probably the best. Response times pertains to ghosting. If you have no ghosting on default, then 1ms is irrelevant. For the most part it's a marketing gimmick. No ghosting is no ghosting so what the number is doesn't really matter.

catty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

I understand i'm just frustrated at the fact I bought the monitor purely on the basis that is advertised at 165hz (overclocked) with a response time of 1-2ms when in reality all I can achieve is the default 5ms with anything higher leading to this "ghosting" I could have purchased a different monitor with potentially better colour etc or a cheaper monitor if I just wanted the 5ms response time, do you know of any fixes for the ghosting or is it purely based off the response time?

The ghosting is only noticeable when using the ufo ghost test or whilst playing games (CSGO and Fortnite for example)

Thanks!

You may already have 1ms but you aren't actually measuring it. No monitor specs can be believed anyways because they are best possible, not real world use. Others like contrast are not even close many times and they aren't even capable of it in best case scenarios. None of it is regulated and most of it is fake. But 1ms is still a marketing gimmick and irrelevant. Response times is for ghosting. If you have no ghosting, the number makes no difference. You set overdrive to where it gets no ghosting or inverse ghosting. If you can do that then there is nothing wrong with the monitor and you got what you wanted. You got good response times to have no ghosting. Don't fall for the marketing tricks.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.