maciokas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I just got a Gig P4667 mobo w/ SIS648 chipset, WD 80gig 8mg cache, single 512meg DDR400 board, ATI 9000pro, 16x DVD and 40x12x40 CDRW.

The secondary IDE does not reconize the DVD & CDRW drive. I switched IDE cables to no evale. When I place the DVD or the CDRW as a slave on the primary IDE the system recognizes the drives.

Has anyone had this problem? Do I just have a bad mobo?

maciokas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Beside the benifit of having more ram will a second 512DDR400 board with this system take better advantage of the memory bandwidth?

cjkrazy

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
Yes, I have the same M/B and HD as you. The second IDE does not seem to work if I have both of my USB cables connected to both the on-board USB connectors. I found a mention of this problem at the following form.
http://www.motherboardzone.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=92&pid=455
So far, I haven't found a way to get the second IDE channel working with both USB cables. Additional info, both cables are USB 2 cables, but one has a one-piece connector and the other has individual plastic connectors for each wire (a pain!). The cable with in individual connectors seems to cause the problems when it is connected. So, I'm not yet sure it is this cable or the combo of two USB cables...is the problem.

cjk

cjkrazy

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2002
So, here's the explanation and solution to the secondary IDE problem mentioned in this thread.

The problem is that although the motherboard has 9 pins for each of the 2 front USB cables, if your cable makes use of the shield pin (the 9th pin that is unpaired) your secondary IDE channel will not function.

The USB cable that came with this mobo has a single piece connector with 9 holes for the 9 pins, but it only has 8 wires coming from the cable. This is the appropriate configuration for the mobo. The graphic below should resemble the USB connection points of your mobo. The X in the graphic represent the either "shield" or "over current" pin.

0 0 0 0 X
0 0 0 0

My other USB cable came with my Lian-Li case. Because a case manufacturer does not know which mobo you are going to use, the case comes with a USB cable that has 9 separate connectors for each wire. These small individual connectors are a pain to connect to the mobo, but it does allow one to adapt to the pin configuration of the mobo (I have learned that the pin config of mobos are not consistent).

The solution:
Make sure that 9th pin does NOT get a wire connection. If you have a single piece connector, disconnect the black wire that is on the far end.

It sure would be nice if Gigabyte would post info about this. Their web site somewhat lacking.

cjk<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cjkrazy on 11/25/02 02:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

maciokas

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Thanks for the feedback, The USB cables that came with the case seems to be the problem.

I thought for a second that it was as an underpowered 300watt powersupply. When I switched out the powersupply the problem was fixed, however after rebooting a few times the problem came back.

Brain Modeler