[SOLVED] Gigabit (1000) connection dropping to 100 mbps once/twice a week. (Weird).

Feb 4, 2020
Heyo. I am at my wit's end here. Here is my situation:
I have a gigabit local network, and I require gigabit speeds for livestreaming. Every part of the network is gigabit compatible. I have two PC's connected via Ethernet to a powerline adapter.
95% of the time, both PC's run at 1000 speed perfectly with no faults. One of these computers however consistently drops it's speed to 100 mbps for a period of 10-30 minutes, once or twice a week, seemingly at random.

• Modem/router, powerline adapter, Ethernet cables (all Cat 7) are all Gigabit enabled. (Including the Speed/Duplex setting)
  • The PC with the problem has everything up to date (BIOS, network adapter driver etc).
  • I have tried new Ethernet cables.
  • Checked task manager during the drops to 100, nothing special is running/high usage.
  • The 2nd PC connected to the same powerline adapter never drops to 100. It works flawlessly, making me think the fault isn't the powerline adapter.

Anyone got any ideas? If it was constantly having issues and dropping speeds it would be easier to figure out. But the speed only drops once or twice a week for a short time. Rest of the time it's working perfectly at 1000. For the average person, a short drop from 1000 to 100 is no big deal, but I am a Twitch livestreamer and when my connection drops to 100, my stream goes fully offline. As I said, I literally require the gigabit speed. (In reality my actual usage is 400-700 mbps, but a drop to 100 kills everything.)

Thanks for reading!

Feb 19, 2020
Sounds like you have some crosstalk, this is common with powerline adapters. The solution is to eliminate the powerline adapter or rewire the entire building from the DMARC/JBOX. Also, if you use the power in your house, your network is affected, when the fridge runs, or your turn on a light. they're for retrofitting, not performance or reliability... The good news is, that this likely signifies an issue with the wiring in your house, not the computer itself.

Feb 19, 2020
Additionally, there is no need to lie, or boast here, especially if you don't know what you're talking about, as one simply cannot use 400-700mbit to stream. The cap is typically set around 6mbit; and a bit higher if you're partnered, period. The 100Mbit connection is not causing you stream to offline, the hardware failure is, I'd wager a guess that the powerline adapter or one of the networking components in your pc has suffered damage from dirty power, and this issue will likely increase in frequency over time, if so. This is why we don't hook up low voltage networking components to High power AC power sources. And there isn't anything other than a "cheap" powerline adapter, they're kind of like taboo in the I.T. community because of these issues and damage they tend to cause. Get rid of the powerline adapter, run some cable, or MOCA; test again; if that doesn't work to fix it, your NIC is probably already spiked.