Question Gigabit Issue ZyXEL VMG4381-B10A

tertmagert

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Hello,

I currently upgraded with Fioptics gigabit internet by cinci bell. They have a 2-1 modem wifi router installed. ZyXEL VMG4381-B10A. Speedtest.net is only showing 170mbps down and 230mps up. My apartment has cat 5e cables running through the walls and then I have a cat 5e cable running from the wall connector to my PC. Mobo is GIgabyte Gaming 7 wifi. Can anyone offer some help as to why I wouldnt be getting more toward gigabit download speeds?

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan
Start by bypassing the in-wall cabling and running a cable across the floor temporarily. But, since you are getting greater than 90Mbit, your PC has negotiated a 1GE link from the PC to the router. Your performance problems could be because of the Killer network hardware. Try the Intel ethernet port on the motherboard.

tertmagert

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Start by bypassing the in-wall cabling and running a cable across the floor temporarily. But, since you are getting greater than 90Mbit, your PC has negotiated a 1GE link from the PC to the router. Your performance problems could be because of the Killer network hardware. Try the Intel ethernet port on the motherboard.
I googled the intel ethernet port but am not finding a good solution. I have the x470 version of gigabytes gaming 7 mobo. I only see one ethernet port on the back IO panel.

I should also note at my last place I had a 200mbps connection and received 230mbps wihtout fail.

I did bypass the wall connection and went straight to the modem and got the same results.

kanewolf

Titan
I googled the intel ethernet port but am not finding a good solution. I have the x470 version of gigabytes gaming 7 mobo. I only see one ethernet port on the back IO panel.

I should also note at my last place I had a 200mbps connection and received 230mbps wihtout fail.

I did bypass the wall connection and went straight to the modem and got the same results.
Sorry, I googled your description and got a different motherboard... Not the X470 version but an earlier Intel version.

tertmagert

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Sorry, I googled your description and got a different motherboard... Not the X470 version but an earlier Intel version.
No problem. No other suggestions? I ended up calling Cinci Bell to see if their tech team could help diagnose the issue. They should be giving me a call back within 90 minutes.