Dec 9, 2020
Since my apartment (about 140m² ) has lots of thick walls and several mirrors I have lots of trouble getting wifi to work well everywhere at decent speeds. So over a year ago decided to get two basic routers (besides the one my ISP already gave me, so 3 in total), and spread them across the house in order to get good wifi to all rooms. However, recently I upgraded my internet to 250 Mbps, and now I need to upgrade the 2 extra routers to gigabit ones, and I'm having trouble deciding which ones to get.

Basically my main options are:

It might seem like an overkill, to have 3 (the ISP one + 2 of my own) gigabit dual band routers at home, but my plan is to get 5 GHz wifi in every room of the apartment(2.4 just doesn't do it anymore nowadays, so I hope to disable it across all the devices), so I can actually get nice speeds wherever I am.

I'm no net expert, but I do know more than your basic user, however I don't quite know how to tell the difference/which is better out of those routers. I'm basically looking to understand why one is better than the other, or why should I choose one over the other since I wanna purchase something that I won't need to upgrade for a while. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen from reviews online, they seem to be pretty close in performance all over, with the ASUS having a few more configuration options. I live in Brazil, so these options were the ones I managed to find at decent prices, but feel free to suggest others around this price range! Any tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Solution
I assume you are running ethernet cables to the remote rooms. You are in effect running AP in the remote rooms but unless you need the extra features of a real AP using a router like you propose can be cheaper. Both those are fairly good basic routers. Both can run in AP mode but really any router can be made to run as AP, most the difference is you get a extra lan port because you use the wan port in a router that has the AP feature.

When you run in AP mode none of the other fancy feature of the router really matter. All you care about is the ethenet port speeds and the wifi radio speeds. These are pretty basic routers but it likely matches your end devices well. Does no good to buy some fancy router that supports things...
I assume you are running ethernet cables to the remote rooms. You are in effect running AP in the remote rooms but unless you need the extra features of a real AP using a router like you propose can be cheaper. Both those are fairly good basic routers. Both can run in AP mode but really any router can be made to run as AP, most the difference is you get a extra lan port because you use the wan port in a router that has the AP feature.

When you run in AP mode none of the other fancy feature of the router really matter. All you care about is the ethenet port speeds and the wifi radio speeds. These are pretty basic routers but it likely matches your end devices well. Does no good to buy some fancy router that supports things your end devices do not. It will just drop to the lowest common feature set which will be your end device and not use the extra features.

I think you would be happy with either of those devices.

Solution