[SOLVED] Gigabyte Z390 Designare CPU Power burning out?

fall3n

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
I just finished building a PC which boots and runs and works correctly so far using a gigabyte Z390 motherboard:
pic_disp.php

As you can see from the schematic, the motherboard has two CPU power plugs, a 2x2 12V and a 2x4 12V. When I first built the PC and saw the schematic I read it as “plug in one 12V or the other, it doesn’t matter which”, but that might be a fake rule. The computer boots into the BIOS and all the fans (including the CPU fan) run but I only have the 2x2 12V plugged in, and I just left the 2x4 12V next to it on the right side empty. Will this PC configuration be unstable and/or is that going to damage something in the long run if I try to do things that use more power and are more complex than booting the computer?

Last edited:
Solution
I just finished building a PC which boots and runs and works correctly so far using a gigabyte Z390 motherboard:
pic_disp.php

As you can see from the schematic, the motherboard has two CPU power plugs, a 2x2 12V and a 2x4 12V. When I first built the PC and saw the schematic I read it as “plug in one 12V or the other, it doesn’t matter which”, but that might be a fake rule. The computer boots into the BIOS and all the fans (including the CPU fan) run but I only have the 2x2 12V plugged in, and I just left the 2x4 12V next to it on the right side empty. Will this PC configuration be unstable and/or is that going to damage something in the long run if I try to do...
pic_disp.php

As you can see from the schematic, the motherboard has two CPU power plugs, a 2x2 12V and a 2x4 12V. When I first built the PC and saw the schematic I read it as “plug in one 12V or the other, it doesn’t matter which”, but that might be a fake rule. The computer boots into the BIOS and all the fans (including the CPU fan) run but I only have the 2x2 12V plugged in, and I just left the 2x4 12V next to it on the right side empty. Will this PC configuration be unstable and/or is that going to damage something in the long run if I try to do things that use more power and are more complex than booting the computer?
What CPU? Why wouldn’t you use both?

Solution

fall3n

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
@bmockeg
oh wow I did have another cord that is 2x4 for the CPU and now both CPU Power outlets are pluggeed in.. nvm, this is a moot question now, lol, I’ll still mark yours as the best answer but I had the chord all along

Last edited:
@bmockeg
oh wow I did have another cord that is 2x4 for the CPU and now both CPU Power outlets are pluggeed in.. nvm, this is a moot question now, lol, I’ll still mark yours as the best answer but I had the chord all along
Yeah, any decent gold PSU has two of them these days. That was gonna be my next question, what PSU are you using if it doesn’t have one. Glad you got it all set.