Gigabyte Z77-D3H USB 3.0 External HDD Detection Issue

darkol

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Hey guys,

So I built my current PC a few weeks ago and everything was working fine until I decided to test my 3.0 USB front panel in my case (HAF 912 Advanced). To point out first, whenever I connect a 2.0 device into the 3.0 port, the device works fine. However, when I connect a 3.0 device, and considering the external HDD I have is the only USB 3.0 device I have, the ports act weird. I have 2 front panel connectors, the left one would work with the external HDD at times, but disconnects with the slightest nudge on the USB connector, and if I don't touch it it would disconnect after a short time but the HDD would still show signs of activity (lights still on, device vibrating), and sometimes it doesn't work at all when I connect it. But when I connect the HDD to the right USB 3.0 front port it simply doesn't work at all. Mind you, it still shows the same signs of getting powered, but windows doesn't detect it at all.

I have done all I could. I disabled and re-enabled the USB 3.0 controller in the BIOS (which I never flashed/updated). I reinstalled the Intel and Etron USB 3.0 drivers. Reinstalled the drivers for the HDD itself. Nothing worked. And even now, I'm seeing an 'unknown device' in the device manager after all the reinstallations and I have no idea what the problem is. Here is a screenshot of the devices manager:

devmanager.jpg

My specs:
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced
Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 GA-Z77-D3H
Cooling System: Cooler Master V6GT
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
GPU: Gigabyte HD 7950
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB
External HDD: WD My Passport Essential 500GB

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You are not alone, my friend. A lot of front USB 3.0 ports are unstable. So unstable that they may not even work in 3.0 at all... I have no idea how they got past quality control.

This problem in some form has been asked here for a while now, but the general consensus is that these front USB 3.0 ports that comes bundled with the computer are terrible. The additional pins (used by USB 3.0 in addition to 2.0) either do not make full contact, or the cables themselves are poorly made.

I'm afraid there isn't a lot you can do, short of warranty.

darkol

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Oh - I forgot to mention that. I tested the HDD on the back panel and all the 4 ports work. I'll probably visit the Gigabyte retailer where I got the case from and check up with them.