The_One

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Hi,

I'm giving away a pc I don't use anymore. I've had loads of personal data on this PC. Other than deleting the spreadsheets and documents, and clearing the recycle bin, is there anything else I should do? I can't reformat (however many times?) and reload the operating system. No discs. Seems like I saw those very discs in a box 2 houses ago... 8O Anyway, what should I do? Thanks! :D

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If it were me, I would at least format the entire drive and preferably overwrite the dirive. You can get a version of OEM XP for about $90. All your personal data is still easily accessable on that machine.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
if the OS has system restore capabilities (windows ME or XP), you should delete your restore points before giving the computer away. This usually can be accomplished by disabling then re-enabling system restore. Also, be sure to delete your temporary files (in each disk drive's properties box there's a "disk cleanup" feature that should take care of that) and internet cache.

Of course, if you don't have the Windows install disks anymore and you don't want to purchase an OS, you can use this opertunity to try out Linux on it.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you absolutely have to keep the OS, I'd go into Windows Explorer, Tools, Folder Options, View and Clickk on Show Hiddne Files and Folders as well as unclick Hide FIle Extension and Hide Protected Operationg System Files. Then go into Safe Mode and log in as Administrator. Go to the Windows Temp Folder under WNNT and delete any files. Then under Dcouments and Settings go into your Log In folder and delete the cookies and then Local Settings and delete anything in the History, Temp, Interent Temp Folders, and Recent Folder. There is also data in the Application Folders for different programs but you have ot be careful unless you uninstall the programs first. One of the problems with Windows is that it stores files all over the place and finding all of them is nearly impossible.

sturm

Splendid
If you want to over write the areas that have deleted items you could always find a 2 gig file and just copy it and copy it untill the drive is full. Delete them all and repeat again if you want. I would also do a defrag after deleting files as this will also move other files around overwriting the deleted ones.