Question Go a head with 9700k or wait for 10th gen?

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
I'm planning on starting a build this Xmas which for financial reasons will take a good 6 months. This will take me well into 2020, I'm trying to build a machine for 4k and eventually 8k video editing and have narrowed the cpu to the i7 9700k or possibly the i9 9900k.

My question is about the 10th gen cpus eventually coming out, as I want to future-proof the machine for a good 5/6 years plus, would it be worth delaying the build until I can get a 10th gen cpu? Would I notice the difference editing and processing 8k between a 9700k and the 10th gen equivalent? I don't game.

Or is trying to future proof for 5 years plus a fools errand in the first place?

Thanks

I'm planning on starting a build this Xmas which for financial reasons will take a good 6 months. This will take me well into 2020, I'm trying to build a machine for 4k and eventually 8k video editing and have narrowed the cpu to the i7 9700k or possibly the i9 9900k.

My question is about the 10th gen cpus eventually coming out, as I want to future-proof the machine for a good 5/6 years plus, would it be worth delaying the build until I can get a 10th gen cpu? Would I notice the difference editing and processing 8k between a 9700k and the 10th gen equivalent? I don't game.

Or is trying to future proof for 5 years plus a fools errand in the first place?

Thanks
What program are you using for video editing?

Hi

If the rumors are correct, but remember for now are just rumors, then the new refresh 14nm+++...+ 10th gen cpus will probably come with HT enable. So if Intel does what many are hoping for, the new 10th Core i7 should come with 8cores/16threads. The Core i7 9700K does not come with HT, so if you ask me what you should do my suggestion will be the following:

- If you can wait, then wait and see if the rumors becomes true and get a new 10th gen cpu from intel with HT enable.

- If you are in a rush, I will consider a Ryzen 7 3700X or Ryzen 9 3900X (paired with a X570 motherboard, make sure to check reviews and pick one with a capable and strong vrm - once again Tom's Hardware or HardwareUnboxed) and later on you will be able to update to Ryzen 4xxx (zen 3) cpus.

Also whatever you pick, if youre going to be rendering often pick a well ventilated case (there are lots of reviews from Tom' s Hardware or GamerNexus) and also a very good air cooler (like notcuas) or a very good and big AIO for you new CPU.

Oh!, one last thing, keep in mind that 10th gen intel cpus will most likely need a new motherboard, so don't go buying a 9th gen compatible mobo unless youre going with a 9th gen CPU.

Cheers

Reactions: Jammalam and Rdslw
Have to agree with the above. The new 10nm desktop parts will not be out for a long, long time and at the earliest the second half to the end of 2020.

In the mean time Intel are respining the 14nm +++ CPU's under the Comet Lake moniker and possibly Rocket Lake after that. Comet Lake should be out soon, possibly November/December but you never know for sure but soon none the less. They will not be a huge performance boost over the current 9th gen parts like the 9700K/9900K but they might well be a bit cheaper and I believe the top of the range may well include a 10 core 20 thread i9 part. also they should pretty much all move to HT enabled.

Bottom line, if you need a CPU now, the 9900K will not be very different in terms of performance to the new Comet Lake parts and will provide a great experience as it is a 5GHz CPU out of the box. If you can wait until November/December to see if Comet Lake launches then you might save money.

finally it is not a fools errand to get 5 years out of a good CPU/GPU as we have a lot of power in today's CPU's and GPU's and in general I look to a 4 year to 5 year full overhaul...I tend to buy the best I can afford so that it lasts as long as possible and that has looked after me. Of course new parts are always on the horizon but that will always be the case...

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
Thanks for the quick replies, I'm currently using resolve 16 but that could/would change on a better pc. Seeing as I wouldn't entirely finish the build until mid 2020 anyway and I'm not in a specific rush it sounds like maybe I should wait and hope for a 10th gen i7 or maybe even i5? I'm guessing the motherboards for next gen won't come out till they do?

So a 9700k is about £350 and 9900k is about £450, are you saying this time next year for the same prices I might be able to get 10th gen equivalents? I suppose it depends on the release date of the cpu... When is the release date of the release date? Lol

Reactions: vMax
No problems at all....I would think that the pricing will be better on the 10th Gen Comet Lake parts. We already know that Intel have heavily dropped the prices on the new Cascade Lake CPU's for the high end desktop side. You will be able to buy a core 10 core 20 thread i9-10900X for roughly $590 which is nearly half the price of the original 10 core i9 part!!! and the 12 core 24 thread i9-10920X is going to be circa $689.00 again a huge saving and all thanks to competition from AMD and Ryzen/Threadripper. As you do a lot on the productivity side, the HEDT Cascade lake might be worth a look with more PCIe lanes etc. and the boost to 4.7 and 4.8GHz respectively so not too bad.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/new...nch-specifications-10th-generation,40526.html

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
Wow those are good prices, I'm so impatient but it sounds like waiting is the best idea, thanks again.

I couldn't see it that article any mention of how much ram the 10th gen will support, do you know? Would 64gb be pointless?

Wow those are good prices, I'm so impatient but it sounds like waiting is the best idea, thanks again.

I couldn't see it that article any mention of how much ram the 10th gen will support, do you know? Would 64gb be pointless?

No problems at all...As to RAM no issues at all as it will support at least 128GB which is what current Z390 supports. As to whether anyone needs that...no unless they were doing huge complex workloads....16GB and max 32GB in dual channel is more than good enough...Forgot, you can actually do with more RAM so 64GB is no issues at all but you can go even higher if needed to 129GB!

Jammalam

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
Yeah i think 64gb should be enough for a while , I'm guessing windows 10 must be able to deliver that with the next cpus? The difficult bit is gonna be waiting patiently to start the build, might learn to knit or something

Thanks again for the advice

Yep it will be hard waiting but worthwhile when you get it. I believe Windows 10 Home 64bit supports 128GB and Windows 10 Pro 64bit supports 512GB. Personally I would get Pro and you can get Windows 10 Pro very cheap pre installed onto a USB stick with a licence if you look around!!!