Question Good but affordable MLC SSD's?

beeko

Commendable
Oct 28, 2018
Hello

I'm upgrading two computers with SSD drives and as I red from the internet, MLC is more reliable than TLC SSD's.
So my question is, which would be a good MLC SSD with an affordable price (around 60$), storage space can be around 250gigabytes.
(installing OS to the SSD and storage will be HDD)

Other computer is everyday gaming use, and other one is not so frequent (email, internet browsing, etc) use.

Maybe buy that Samsung 860 EVO to the basic use and something else which uses MLC to the gaming rig?

Any thoughts?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
TLC has plenty enough endurance for 99% of people. For your described usage it will not be an issue. TLC is the norm now, only high end (and therefore pricier) drives like the 970 Pro use MLC now. I doubt you'll find anything around $60. And for that price you could pretty much get a perfectly fine TLC 500 GB drive.

EVOs have pretty high TBW guidelines, and I think even standard EVO models have 5 year warranties these days...

Given my own rig's 3-5 hours usage per day, and assuming 15 TB written in about 22 months usage is semi-typical, the 500 GB EVO should last 'only' 15 more years... :)

Even QLC is arguably fine, given a large enough drive. While the writes per cell may be lower, if you can get more storage space for a given price, then in addition to being able to store more, you also have more cells that the drive can use for wear leveling. A 1TB Intel 660p (currently $110), for example, is rated for 200 TBW, and has a 5-year warranty. Even if you wrote 20GB to the drive every day, the cells shouldn't wear out for around 27 years. A heavy user could even average 50GB of writes a day, and still have the drive last over a decade, though the 660p's significant drop in performance when its cache is full might make it less than ideal for heavy write scenarios. Endurance probably isn't all that important to consider unless one is performing an atypical amount of writes to the drive every day though.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TRENDING THREADS