buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
from anandtech

AMD's Hector Ruiz is still throwing his full support and confidence behind their x86-64 processor for the desktop platform. They are still aiming for a September launch for Athlon 64:
Advanced Micro Devices Inc chief executive officer Hector Ruiz said he is "very very confident" that the chip maker will launch its new desktop processors, the Athlon 64, in September.
Last week, AMD delayed the launch of its new processor for a second time to September from a previous target of March or April.

Speaking to analysts at a Banc of America Securities technology conference, Ruiz said AMD decided to delay the launch because the Athlon product family had a longer performance life span than AMD had been originally anticipated

<font color=blue>I want to save the world for my children, but not my children's children, because children shouldn't be having sex. - Deep Thought</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Wait, so AMD is saying:

1) ClawHammer is being delayed because of no consumer version of x86-64 Windows exists yet. (As if much of anyone cares, since they'd just be happy to load either a 32-bit version of Windows or an x86-64 version of Linux... or both.)

2) ClawHammer is being delayed because the AXP3000+ (that just got it's arse kicked by not only a P4 3.06GHz, but even in some cases an AXP2800+) has a longer life span than anticipated. So just how badly did AMD think the AXP3000+ was going to perform then if that's <i>better</i> than they anticipated? (And why did they give it a PR of 3000+ then?)

I think it was Anandtech that had all of those nice scaling charts along with the benchmark charts, showing how the P4 is not only catching up, but in many cases surpassing the performance of the Athlons at the same PR because Intel keeps upping the IPC as well as the clock speed. (Or inversely, how AMD chips are getting less and less competetive in PR to MHz compared to Intel.)

I find myself believing #2 even <i>less</i> than I do #1, and I thought that #1 was a horribly unbelievable smoke screen. Wow.

PC Repair-Vol 1:Getting To Know Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 2:Troubleshooting Your PC.
PC Repair-Vol 3:Having Trouble Troubleshooting Your PC?
PC Repair-Vol 4:Having Trouble Shooting Your PC?

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Have to agree with everything you have said. I think AMD are starting to make up bull*hit excuses.

Either yields are not good enough or maybe S0I is just too expensive at the moment, or even both ?! or maybe they are waiting for DDR400 to be supported by JEDEC so they can update the integrated memory controller as <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7125" target="_new">DDRII isn't coming any time soon.</A>

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
the athlon, and the chip derived from it, the athlonXP, is truly a remarkable design. it does things that no other processor has been able to do when clocked at the same speed, and/or sold for the same price. they are well thought out, FAST fast fast chips..

nothing lasts forever tho. and on the rare occasion when a company come out with a remarkable product that shadows the competition, they can usually not pull it off twice in a row... like, what i mean is, if you make something extraordinary, its going to be seemingly impossible to top.

who knows what the athlon64 will perform like. maybe intel has learned from the early P4 mistakes and made a overall better CPU? and maybe AMD *didnt* learn from intels and their own mistakes, and made a crappy CPU? who knows who knows...

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I dont have read the full press-release or anything else but ruiz dont quote a delay because of any OS on official inetview or press-release at best the PR is doing this for keeping the moral in the troops in they fan that around here.I may look funny but toms boards is buying (personal guess) 1500/CPU a year that a half million dollar.Even if this is less some are systemes builder and the like and many are Athlon fan.

This may just be a pr move at the end

Just next to the lab and the bunker you will find the marketing departement.

b00ga

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2003
I dont see what Intel has to learn "Mistake" wise from the P4. I thought it was a very well, forward looking CPU.

In fact, intel made some damn good choices with the P4, it doesnt try to push MS Office any faster than the P3, yet, it pushing graphics, video, mp3 editing/compressing much much MUCH faster than any consumer CPU today, even besting a Dual G4 Mac in graphics/video, which is somewhat impressive.

From the looks of it, it was the right decision. Office doesnt need to go any faster, its INSTANT now. just about every CPU intensive task performs better on the P4, and by a lot in most cases (up to 85% faster).

Granted the P4 at first didnt have these advantages due to the chip bring very different from a normal x86. However, if you constantly rely on the old way of doing things your only going to make baby steps in performance. The P4 is different internally, but when used correctly (which isnt that hard) it simply the fastest chip.

Not to mention the headroom it has. At best I would call it a bit of a gamble, but really shows you how smart intel actually is.

eden

Champion
While it wasn't mistakes at first, it was premature release which was the mistake.
They released an unfinished P4 design with the Wilamette.
The P4 obviously is a CPU of great future, but to claim it puts CPU intensive tasks to perform is rather not entirely true. Clock per clock, it still has not bested the PIII last I checked, except it rapes in SSE2 of course, and some other benchmarks, however, it relies on brute force to win. Which isn't a problem, since as long as it gets overall good performance, it's what matters, though that was a sad excuse back in the 1.3GHZ P3 days!
I think the P4 in the end of its days will have an IPC better than the current K7s, and should be one monster CPU to be reckoned.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: