profjo00

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I am in need of finding a good monitor. 17"+ with as little ghosting as possible and a dvi is a must. i have heard that the tft7020 from compaq should be good, but when i called them up i did not get the college discount. So i decided that i would try to stay away from compaq, but if thats the best monitor i should get it anyway, the price of that one is like 750+ plus shipping over the internet. So can people please give me a couple of suggestions on monitors from 500-1200 that are real good. im looking to have this monitor for 2-3 years so i want it to be good, if you understand

G

I would look at some of Samsung's LCD's. The 181T has way better specs. You could also try the VG191 as I have seen it personally and can vouch for its great performance. The Sony one you mentioned is a good LCD too, but not as good as the other two I just mentioned. However, I have not seen that LCD myself, so I can't say much.

EDIT: Note, that the VG191 I have seen was on an ATI 8500 card. There have been issues with GF3's with this LCD, though some have fixed it. However, just a note of warning if you own a GF3. Any other nVidia card seems unaffected.

Jack Burton is a great man...

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
If you order the VG191 and get ghosting b/c the GF3, just flash teh bios w/ a different GF3's, and that usually fixes it (yeah, it's wierd). The Sony S18, although it looks nice, has a rise time of 20 ms and fall of 10ms. That 20ms rise may get a little annoying- I'd stick with a 15ms for teh rise, and have a total of 25ms response time.

Sig of the week.

G

What was the deal with the geforce3 and vg191? I read about it a little back when I had that crappy pv150 mva panel. I plugged in my old radeon card to see if that would help the ghosting but it didn't at all. It sounds like there are other mva units (vg191) that don't ghost as much so planar must have really screwed it up good.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eviscerate on 03/03/02 02:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Umm, I don't know if games even work in pivot mode, I sure never tried it. I don't see how being able to pivot would make it ghost more in regular position.