[SOLVED] Good Wireless Cards (Gaming/4K Streaming)

KanyeJ19

Honorable
Jul 25, 2015
Hey all, just wanting to get some second opinions for this. My TP-Link Archer T9E has kicked the bucket today sadly I need a new wireless adapter, and am contemplating an Archer T6E (https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking/Adapters/60935-Archer-T6E ) or going for a WiFi 6 adapter. If WiFI 6 is the way to go nowadays, what of these would be the best solution?
Sadly can't run ethernet just yet without upsetting everyone in my household or get it wired through the walls just yet. Any and all help/knowledge is appreciated!

Solution
Wifi 6 adapters don't do you much good if you do not have a wifi6 router. Even then this technology is now likely already outdated. They recently approved new radio bands so we will see what is being called wifi 6e and I suspect even new forms of 802.11ac devices.

The asus card on your list tends to be one of the highest rated devices because of the external antennas.

You maybe better off considering powerline or moca device. These will work much better for gaming.
Wifi 6 adapters don't do you much good if you do not have a wifi6 router. Even then this technology is now likely already outdated. They recently approved new radio bands so we will see what is being called wifi 6e and I suspect even new forms of 802.11ac devices.

The asus card on your list tends to be one of the highest rated devices because of the external antennas.

You maybe better off considering powerline or moca device. These will work much better for gaming.

Solution

KanyeJ19

Honorable
Jul 25, 2015

Cheers for the response. I've looked at Powerline before but where the modem is located there isn't a free wall socket for the adapter. From what I know, a powerline needs to be plugged into a wall socket to work correctly right? Or without a massive drop in performance. Moca wouldn't work with our setup so I think it might be down to choosing between Powerline adapters (After looking, probably this TP-Link AV600 Kit or this D-Link DHP-601AV1000 kit or that ASUS adapter. Even though the WiFi 6 would kinda be useless for now it'd still be a good replacement for the T9E

The tplnk ones with the passthrough plug solves the outlet issues. This lets you plug directly into the wall outlet and still plug equipment into passthough outlet.

I would not recommend those particular tplink units. All they did was rename the av500 units av600....they did not even change the part number. Key is devices that are AV2 based. AV2-600 is different but many times they are calling the av2-600 units av2-1000. Wish they would just stop and keep names consistent.

In any case you want powerline units with passthrough plugs.

In my somewhat bias opinion I think wifi6 is useless forever since it is being made obsolete in about 6 months or so by wifi6e.

KanyeJ19

Honorable
Jul 25, 2015
The tplnk ones with the passthrough plug solves the outlet issues. This lets you plug directly into the wall outlet and still plug equipment into passthough outlet.

I would not recommend those particular tplink units. All they did was rename the av500 units av600....they did not even change the part number. Key is devices that are AV2 based. AV2-600 is different but many times they are calling the av2-600 units av2-1000. Wish they would just stop and keep names consistent.

In any case you want powerline units with passthrough plugs.

In my somewhat bias opinion I think wifi6 is useless forever since it is being made obsolete in about 6 months or so by wifi6e.
Very understandable opinion regarding WiFi6, it's cool in theory but half the world can't utilise it at all. And just to clarify, the Powerline adapters would have faster speeds, less latancy and be more efficient than the ASUS wireless adapter? Just learnt quite a bit so trying to process it all.

Wifi might be faster because it has more bandwidth to start with. The av2-2000 units of course are faster than av2-1000 units. There is no way to predict any real numbers because the difference between houses affect this so much

For games though the key is not the speed of the connection it is the stability. Games need well under 1mbs many in the 250kbps range. What they need is very consistent latency. Wifi because of how it works to deal with interference wifi get random spikes in the latency which causes in game lag. Powerline units are almost immune to interference from outside your house.

Last edited:

KanyeJ19

Honorable
Jul 25, 2015
Wifi might be faster because it has more bandwidth to start with. The av2-2000 units of course are faster than av2-1000 units. There is no way to predict any real numbers because the difference between houses affect this so much

For games though the key is not the speed of the connection it is the stability. Games need well under 1mbs many in the 250kbps range. What they need is very consistent latency. Wifi because of how it works to deal with interference wifi get random spikes in the latency which causes in game lag. Powerline units are almost immune to interference from outside your house.

Cheers for all the help and support. Just put in an order for the AV2-1300 powerline to start with.